"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
in Canada we do everything in metric. .
Except we leave the important things alone.....like football field measurements.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
Except we leave the important things alone.....like football field measurements.
Mmmm. Sounds like a plan, Ken. If it ain't broke, don't break it!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
Conversion has basically taken place...

I do not see anything in metric in the grocery store..
I wish, it would be so much easier!
Inches I'm kinda ok with by now. Cooking ? Still easier in metric, not to mention how much more accurate .Baking I can not even immagine not in metric.
On the other hand I understand converting would be costly.
Still hoping though!
Virtually everything in my cupboard has weight listed in pounds and ounces as well as grams, or volume in quarts, gallons etc as well as liters. If you need to see produce and meat prices listed by pound and kilogram insist on the information before paying and get your like-minded brethren to do likewise. Before too long the increased number of checkout-clerks necessary to maintain the corporately decreed number of customers per line will cost far more than just displaying the price in both units.

I don't ask this sarcastically. Once you get the stuff home from the grocery store, what is stopping you from cooking or baking in metric units?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #24
Everymom

I had never considered the cost of converting to metric. The road signs alone would likely be prohibitive.

Weird question for you all in the US. Don't your speedometers read in km/hr as well as m/hr? I know any cars built in the US and shipped here have it, so I just assumed it was in both for you too. Is that the case or no?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #25
Senior Cook

I don't ask this sarcastically. Once you get the stuff home from the grocery store, what is stopping you from cooking or baking in metric units?[/quote]

Nothing, only recipes that are in ounces etc. And when it comes to volume, it is nearly impossible to convert!
It is not a real problem, since I don't really measure anything when I cook. I have enough experience so I don't have to.
Baking though is a totally different story.
You could probably say it's easy for me to find metric much easier, that's what I used most of my life.
That is true, on the other hand it IS much easier! All you have to remember is 10 and its multiplies!
1 mm x 10= 1 cm x 10 = 1 dm x 10 = 1 m

1 gr x 10 = 1 dkg x 100 = 1 kg
Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #26
Everymom

Mitmondol, I'm confused. Do you use the metric system or not? And forgive me, but as someone who uses both in the kitchen daily, I am not understanding your difficulty. Is it that things are not marked in both when you buy them? or is it your own measuring tools that don't have both? I find the conversions simple, but as I said I have used them all my life. And I'm not a slave to it, I know that a pound of meat is roughly 500g so I calculate that roughly when I'm purchasing.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
[Weird question for you all in the US. Don't your speedometers read in km/hr as well as m/hr? I know any cars built in the US and shipped here have it, so I just assumed it was in both for you too. Is that the case or no?
Yes our cars have both markings as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I'm sorry, I'm not talking about having much difficulties personally.
I'm only trying to say that metric is a lot simpler, easier.
In baking a lb roughly 1/2 kg won't cut it though..
It's tru , after many years I still don't "feel" ounces etc. If you tell me 15 dkg butter, I know exactly what amount you mean. If you tell me 1 lb 4 oz of flour, I have to figure it out.
As I said, it's not a problem when I cook because I don't really need measurements. Not a problem when I shop, I can judge how much I need of something without measurements, metric or othetwise.
All I was trying to say, metric makes a lot morte sence. I have no problems
Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #29
Everymom

Ah thanks for the clarification mitmondol. I understand now. I think for you, metric is what you think in so it is easier to use. For many here, imperial is what they think in so trying to figure out dkg would melt their synapses.

I agree that you can be more precise when using metric. I don't agree that most baking requires it though. You can do just fine with a recipe calling for 250 g and you using 8 oz of something.

GB, thanks for the answer to the car bit.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Yes our cars have both markings as well.
None the less, if you change 55 MPH signs to 88 KPH you'll get morons going 140 MPH and claiming to be under the speed limit.

I don't object to changing the highway signs, but showing both seems preferable to solely metric.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote