"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #31
Wine Guy

I love music. I was a full time musician for 15 years, and played all over the US (and a little in Europe). I'm not into country, rap, or polka. Outside of those genres, there really isn't much that I don't like. If I had to pick a favorite, I would say 60s & 70s pop, since that's what I grew up on.

Some of the newer groups I like are Gotye, Muse, Silversun Pickups, and Foster the People.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I love music. I was a full time musician for 15 years, and played all over the US (and a little in Europe). I'm not into country, rap, or polka. Outside of those genres, there really isn't much that I don't like. If I had to pick a favorite, I would say 60s & 70s pop, since that's what I grew up on.

Some of the newer groups I like are Gotye, Muse, Silversun Pickups, and Foster the People.
Gee, I'm learning names of groups I've never heard of. As a general rule,though, I like old music that I'm already familiar with. 50s, 60s, and some into the 70s.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #33
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll

+1 to silversun pickups
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Gee, I'm learning names of groups I've never heard of. As a general rule,though, I like old music that I'm already familiar with. 50s, 60s, and some into the 70s.
+1 to now knowing a lot of the new music. These names are totally foreign to me and I used to be on top of all things music.

I just don't tune into mainstream music unless it is in the supermarket, when I am on hold, on the boombox of some teens sitting at one of the benches on the greenbelt beside me or a member of our youth group wants to share something!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
+1 to now knowing a lot of the new music. These names are totally foreign to me and I used to be on top of all things music.

I just don't tune into mainstream music unless it is in the supermarket, when I am on hold, on the boombox of some teens sitting at one of the benches on the greenbelt beside me or a member of our youth group wants to share something!
I stopped listening to new music in 1999...when I got out of college, until then I was able to listen to every thing the kids were playing.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #36
Senior Cook

I'm totally stuck on Skynyrd these days.
Makes me wish I was alive back in the hippie days.
I bet there are a lot of old hippies on this forum though
Old 07-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #37
Master Chef

Sounds like I'm just another one in a crowd of eclectic music lovers. I'm not into rap or hip hop but there are individual songs in that genre that I can tolerate.

I think mostly my preferences lean to country/folk music. Looking at my mp3 player you'd see a lot of John Denver (my fave) followed by Elvis (love his music) then show tunes (Les Mis, Joseph and Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Cats etc). Love Broadway. Also have marching band music on there.

A few summers ago, we took the boys to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. We had a blast!! Lots of reminiscing by us and sharing love of good music with the kids. I loved the fact that 2 generations could enjoy the same stuff.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #38
Cook

It seems most of you are of an older generation and its kind of surprising that I haven't seen anyone say anything about America. Imo, they wrote some of the best folk/rock&roll EVER. Do any of you listen to America?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four String Chef View Post
It seems most of you are of an older generation and its kind of surprising that I haven't seen anyone say anything about America. Imo, they wrote some of the best folk/rock&roll EVER. Do any of you listen to America?
Yes I do! I just hit the big ones that I have just about all their songs. The Eagles are also a great group. My son (24 yo) found my double album on CD. Started listening to it and said he never realized how many of the songs he knew but didn't know the Eagles sang them!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four String Chef View Post
Do any of you listen to America?
Sure do!....My list was just off the top of my older generation head..
It is by no means a complete list.