"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I do love the picture you get on HD TVs. It looks like you are right in the room with the people on there!
When people see mine for the first time they say it is like looking through a window. It truly is amazing. It is a luxury though and certainly not something anyone needs to have. And the longer you wait to get one, the better (and probably less expensive to a point) they will be.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I have been looking (and drooling over) a Sony Bravia 1080P set and the picture is phenominal. Not sure what size to get yet.
That is the kind I have Andy. The 40XBR2 to be exact. When doing my research, what I learned is that you should get the largest screen size you can fit in the space you have. It is different from analog TV's where if the screen is too big for the room then you do not have a clear picture or get distortion or you get dizzy etc. With the HD picture you can be right on top of the set and it is crystal clear so you actually benefit from going as large as you can.

My screen is 40 inches. We sit about 6 feet from the screen. At first my wife thought that was going to be way too big, but now she agrees it isn't. If we were to do it again and had the money then we would have gone even larger.

Andy (or anyone else) when you are ready and need to buy HDMI cables then let me know and I can give you some links to online stores that have then for very short money. Make sure you do not buy them in the store unless they are charging under double digits.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

GB, I'm oing to clip your post and show it to Suzanne. I want a screen of 50+ inches and she thinks it's too big for the room. We'll be across the room from the set, about 12-14 feet so I don't think it will be a problem.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Yeah what GB said is spot on

you do however need a dvd player that will upgrade to HD. They are cheap, mine only cost $100 bucks. they just make every dvd widescreen and enhance the quality. My MASH dvds look great on my 50 Inch plasma!

the HD-DVD and Blu-ray aren't worth the money yet. I have a Hd-dvd player and hardly use it.

the cables are a waste of money, The Hdmi is all you need. or the cables that come with the machine. I've spend hundreds of dollars on cables. I sat down one night with my plasma and tried differant cables, I couldn't tell the differance between the $120 dollar gold plated monster cables versus the $12 dollar cables. I could however tell a differance with the HDMI cables, but few people would even care.

HD cable television is worth it! I love my High DEf channels. I recommend them highly.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

When I was doing my research Andy (and I read a TON before my purchase) I found a chart that said what size screen was good depending on your distance from the screen. I wish I knew where I got it, but try doing a google search and you might be able to come up with it.

IMO 50 inches would not be too large at all from the distance you are sitting.

One thing to keep in mind is that at that size you are probably talking plasma, not LCD. Each type has its benefits and drawbacks of course.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
I couldn't tell the differance between the $120 dollar gold plated monster cables versus the $12 dollar cables.
The thing that people need to understand is that an HDMI cable is carrying a purely digital signal. We are talking 1's and 0's. The signal is exactly the same though any cable so a $100 cable will perform exactly like a $5 cable. There will not be any difference whatsoever.

Using an HDMI cable from your cable box to your TV will not give you a noticeable picture difference. The only benefit there is that you are using one digital cable instead of 5 component cables so there is the benefit of less clutter and easier setup. The real visual and audio difference will be using HDMI with your DVD player, game console, and receiver.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Here is one chart I found for you Andy.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
As I understand it, the converter box is about $70. However, there is a coupon available that can get $40 off that cost. I learned about it earlier this week and have applied for the coupon. Anyone who needs to convert their old TV can call 1-888-DTV-2009. Applying for the coupon is easy and can be done completely on the phone.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #19
Head Chef

Don't know if this will help you, Pecanis - but I kept it real simple. Bought my digital flat screen (no HD) on line from Circuit City. I bookmarked all the major stores, i.e. Best Buy, CC, Sears etc - & compared specs & prices. The shipping was free, btw. Mine is much smaller than youse guys, lol - as I wanted it to fit in my entertainment unit, & personally, don't have the need for a Huge screen. All the cables are confusing to me as well. Circuit City has 3 different hook up plans - all expensive, imo - starting at about $169 & going up. So... I had my local cable co hook it up. (I don't have a dish.) You might call your Dish(?) co & ask them questions about what you may or may not need. Meanwhile, here's CC's site:

Preferred Brands

Hope that helps.

Also, according to my cable co or CC, (don't recall now which), the date has been moved up to June 2008. That was part of the reason I shopped/started looking right after Thanksgiving.

Donated my old TV to Salvation Army. They will come to your home & p/u. I was a little sorry to see it go, as imo, my TV had more features & just seemed like a better built (at least sturdier) piece of furniture - rather than a lightweigh electronic toy. Guess I'm a dinosaur when it comes to all these new Hi-Tech electronics. Hope this helps. Good luck.

ETA: I bought a Sharp (Liquid crystal). It's okay, but I'm not very impressed. It's lighter in weight is about all. At a later date, I may put it in another room.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Every bit of info helps.
Thanks again everyone. I think I'll make it into the store to browse today.