Need to vent!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Cook
So, I had my review at work....a paper is filled out by my boss that rates me 1-4 (1 is the low end, 4 the high). I recived all 4's (except on one of them he circled 3 and 4 cause he says when they overload me I don't work as fast, lol). He had no complaints, loves my enthusiasm and my work, etc., etc. The office manager was also in there to evaluate me, she also said she had no complaints. So then came the discussion of money. They wanted to give me the standard 3%. I said I wasn't happy with that, I wanted 5%. I said 3% is the minimum and I have never done the minimum.

I don't want to seem like a gloating snob, but I work very hard. I am always coming in early, leaving late (I am salary. so I don't get overtime either), taking on tasks that aren't "in my job description". I work for four estimators who each have multiple jobs and so I am always multitasking and juggling and I still get everything done.

So, the office manager comes back into my office and says they won't do 5%, but they will do 3.7%. They can't go any higher this year or else I will pass the one administrative assistant that has been here longer than me, in pay (office manager makes more, but she doesn't count as an admin). I understand I have been here 4 1/2 years and she has been here 11 1/2 years. Difference is that she won't come in early or stay late and she refuses to do anything that's not in her job description. So then why should it matter if she's been here longer? Shouldn't I be "rewarded" for my hard work instead of compared to someone else's salary that has worked here longer than I have? :mad:

Ugh, it just bugs me sooooo much, I had to vent!

Thanks for listening!!

Bummer................sorry about the slack in pay raise. Personally, I don't think I'd be doing all the extra things that they take for granted. Besides isn't it against policy to discuss ones pay rate anyway?

I'm so sorry!!
That isn't right. Your pay should not have anything to do with the other person! It should be based on your evaluation. If the other person can't get a better evaluation than they obviously have, then, that isn't your problem and anyway, how are they going to find out that you make more? Even if they did, then the management will have to deal with it, not you.

Do you belong to a union? If so, that might be the motivator but it might also be a place to go. Just a thought, I personally think you got hugely ripped off. Sorry about that.

SizzlininIN - I don't do the extra stuff for the company, I do it for my guys...I know they at least appreciate it. It is against company policy to discuss pay rates, but they were trying to say it in such a way that I just figured it out and they basically just confirmed it.

texas - no idea how she would find out

alix - no, no unions for me - I am in the construction business and unions can be nasty.

Thanks for the responses!

lmw80 said:
alix - no, no unions for me - I am in the construction business and unions can be nasty.

They can indeed. If you don't have a union to mess with, then there is no reason for seniority to have more pull than hard work. You were doubly ripped off!

I feel your pain Lori. I can completely relate to what you are going through. I know this is no consolation, but just know that you are doing a great job and they are lucky to have you even if they do not treat you fairly.

I know how you feel. Very much sounds like mine last review. So since then I stoped doing what I do not get pay for. The heck with them.

In effect you are being punished for doing a good job - your co-worker is probably getting the 3% just for showing up and breathing. So unfair.

I know how you feel. I just started my job last year (I'm the Executive Director of a small non-profit). I convinced the Board of Directors that performance incentives) would lead to greater productivity with staff (and they will) and to provide 5% incentives and a 3% raise. They agreed enthusiastically. When it came time for my review, they gave me a 3.5% raise, with no incentives--and feld good about it.

Does your company do anything with incentives (cash or cash-like)? That might be one way to get around tenure. Personally, I believe that a wage should be tied closely to productivity, while benefits such as vacation reward for tenure.

Good Luck.

That really stinks and sounds Soooooo familiar as my husband went through a similar situation about a month ago.

Wow, thanks everyone for the kind words and the advice!

Please don't get me wrong, I am SO grateful to even have a job in our days. Although I do work for a construction business, it's a small/medium sized family owned business. The girls (admins) do not get the pay they deserve, everyone knows that. However, we JUST had a company meeting where they boasting and gloating on how well we're doing. They definitly HAVE the money.

I stay here for several reasons. I know they appreciate the work I do and unless I quit, I'm not going anywhere, and stability is very important to me. The department I work for is the best, I wouldn't still be here if I worked for any other department. My estimators thank me every day for my help and they are usually in earlier than me and later than me. I also love the rest of the staff except for a couple of really annoying people, lol. It's a great place to work and I do look forward to coming to work every day, and that is especially important to me.

We had a rough year two years ago and only a few people got bonuses (I was told I was the only admin who did receive one and so I am greatful for that - considering the Owner's wife likes to say we make up for pay in bonuses!) but last year, no bonus. :(

Thanks again for letting me vent!

Back
Top Bottom