"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #1521
Executive Chef

What is the etiquette for returning wedding gifts if the bride and groom break up?

Is there a time limit?

This bride and groom lasted 1 month and 2 days.

edited: I'm not waiting for a gift to be returned. I may have to help them send all the presents back. I just really believe that the effort should be made. Does anyone else have a view on this?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #1522
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think they should be returned...

It's sad....

Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #1523
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Heck, yes, they should be returned.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #1524
Executive Chef

This surprised the heck out of me and I really disagree! I was checking it out on the internet. I bet the couple doesn't give it a thought but hopefully they'll surprise me.

en.allexperts.com/q/Divorce-Issues-1626/Returning-wedding-gifts-Marriage.htm - 19k -

Quote:
Question

My Co worker and her husband seperated after 10 months. We wanted to know if the Wedding gifts should be returned? Is there a time limit on how long a marriage must last? She said her marriage really started going sour 3 months after the wedding but she hung in there. Her husband has taken all the wedding gifts some were never used and still in boxes. We think they should be returned. Especially the ones that were given to her at our office bridal shower. We didn't know the groom and most gifts were addressed to her. Before the divorce goes thru we'd appreciate an answer. Thank you

Answer

It's custom to keep the wedding gifts that were given to the couple. The only way they should be returned is if the marriage doesn't happen,and is called off. Then it would be etiquette to return the gifts.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #1525
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It may seem surprising, but I still say they should be returned. It's almost as though he/she is being rewarded (perhaps not the right word, but what I could think of at the moment) for throwing a big party and living together for a few weeks.

This might be a question best posed to Emily Post or Miss Manners. I have a Miss Manners book. I'll look through it and see if this issue is addressed.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #1526
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
How sad is that? I bet after that, though, the gifts are the last thing on that couple's mind. So sad.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #1527
Chef Extraordinaire

since my wife's remaining family is in slovakia, we eloped, and never got any wedding gifts.

so you should send them to us...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #1528
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I hate cable companies. Comcast called me, telling that they are switching everybody to digital voice, whatever that might be. Ok, fine do it. After they came and change everything I do not have food network. It really is stupid, because this is the only chanel I like to watch. I, guess, they changed some kind of packaging, darn. So no to get food network I'd have to pay 3 times more. Darn.
Can you change back?

Mr HB's son asked me to sit at his house and wait for Comcast yesterday (do you hear the foreboding music?). They were to be there between 11am-2pm. Being the responsible person I am, I was there at 10:30.

-OK, at 1:15 pm Comcast called and said they were running late and would be there between 1:30 and 3:30.
-At 4pm, I call the boy (lol, 33) and ask him to find out what's going on. He was horrified that I was still there. He called and they said the technician was on his way to the house.
- At 6pm, I call the boy and say I'm going home.
-He calls me when I get home and says he called Comcast and the technician said he was there and did his work. No, this wasn't something that he could have fixed through the outdoor box. In fact, they insisted that someone be there since they HAD to get inside.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #1529
Executive Chef

Just off the phone with a dear friend who told me of the Ma'am thread. I did not know a venting forum existed or I would have been posting solely here.

The Ma'am verbiage is understood probably by where you were raised. Being raised in Santa Monica all my life, {California} I didn't know of the Ma'am thing [only that to me and as I was raised to understand] it was used out of respect. Nothing about age at all. You said it due to the respect for the person you were speaking to. So in my useage of it, it's been to young lady's and not so young lady's, either way, < they're lady's. That's my take on it.

Over the years, it's been taught to me that some feel it has to do with age. I'll stick to my useage, due respect.

My vent is over nothing, today, it's a good day. Peaceful days to all of you and quiet nights too...
Old 06-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #1530
Master Chef

noise. noise agitates me till i want to....... ughhhhhhh!

Closed Thread