"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Sous Chef

One Week's Worth of Food Around the Planet

Take a moment to absorb this interesting photo perspective of what one week's worth of food looks like in different parts of the world:

One Week's Worth of Food Around Our Planet | FixingThePlanet.com

Old 02-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Master Chef

We are more like the Caven family in California at about $160 per week in groceries, but less boxed stuff then they have.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Wow JillBurgh,
Thank you for posting the article, very nice indeed and sad when reading some of the comments. May I recommend an old book to read on this?: Diet for a Small Planet.
Very interesting although a bit old.
Relative to what we spend on food... I live with my two daughters, in MI, our weekly bill is approx. $70 to $90. Looks similar to the Mongolian family but with less meat/bread and 5 boxes of juices and milk. I notice that except for the USA families, others don't buy significant amount of milk.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Sous Chef

How much do YOU spend on groceries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I notice that except for the USA families, others don't buy significant amount of milk.
Mmmm milk. I've always said that if was on a deserted island, I would miss ice cold 2% cow's milk the most. It's my favorite (I say that about a lot of foods). Really, though, I get milk delivered to my house still. And I live in the city, not some remote rural area with no stores!

I'd be interested to hear how much our community here at DC spends a week on groceries.

So I'll ask... how much do you spend on groceries each week? For how many eaters? And what do you buy?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Executive Chef

in 2007 I spent $30.55 a week on groceries for two adults.

i also spent an average of $8.07 a week for the garden and related supplies

and averaged spending $22.17 a week on the goats; this includes everything from baling twine to hoof trimmers. The products we receive from this $22.17 a week include fresh milk for the house, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, buttermilk, 60 pounds of meat, fertilizer for the garden, and an immense amount of joy from caring for these animals.

What do I buy? Whole wheat flour, olive and canola oils, fair trade coffee, pasta, hard cheeses, butter, oats, chocolate chips and cocoa, peanut butter
Old 02-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Thanks for posting this Jill. It was so interesting to see the amounts and types of foods that people around the planet eat. I would have a hard time calculating what I spend on groceries for a week for the 5 people who live here and the extra folks at the table almost nightly. Mostly because I buy my non-grocery things at the same time, usually. I do buy a huge amount of milk - 5 to 6 gallons per week, cheeses, pastas, rice, potatoes, eggs, nuts and nut butters, fresh fruits and whatever veggies look great at the market that week. We usually only have meat 2 times a week, but it's generally steaks or some other red meat or pork. No fish. Shellfish from time to time. Chicken very rarely. Some of my kids don't eat meat so I guess I arrange meals with that in mind, making sure that there are plenty of veggies on meat nights. I'm going to keep my receipts for the next couple of weeks so I can tell exactly what I'm spending on food because I'd like to know, too!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i'd be very skinny in chad.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Master Chef

Uh, I already posted my answer above :)
Old 02-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

food cost

i average about $75 a week. some of that is non food so don't really know on weekly basis. i do buy a lot more high priced no sugar stuff, being a diabetic. that is for one person. entertain with food at least once a month. usually two more people. have to factor that in.

babe