Our friend the bear ( alive and well)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I lived in Ely, Minnesota, bears were frequent visitors to our yard--and we lived in town. The first sign of spring was the sight of the bird feeder, torn down and emptied. (Nah, the first sign of spring was 6 months worth of dog poo revealing itself as the snow melted.:sick: )

One day my son (14 or so) came flying in the house, looking for the camera. When I asked him what he wanted it for, he said, "There is the biggest pile of bear poo out there that I have ever seen!" It was impressive--about the circumference of a large pizza.:ohmy:

Don't leave ANY food outside--no dog food, cat food, horse food, bird food--none. Bears are eating machines, especially this time of year.

Holy cow, pds! Like moose, bears are adorable creatures and it's hard to remember sometimes how dangerous they can be! Like mud said, be sure to guard the chickens--and yourselves!

Paul hasn't wanted to attempt hunting this guy yet, has he?!?

I have one rule about hunting PA Baker... Paul may hunt any animal that he wants... as long as we are going to eat it and as long as it does NOT live in my back yard. ( those are my pets)!!!!!

Snoop Puss said:
That is one magnificent creature. On the other hand, I'd be very nervous to find him in my back garden!
Do you know why he's coming round to visit you?

Yep, we live in an area
where hundreds of apple and plum trees grow.
If you look at it's scat it's pure apple right now.
He must eat hundreds of them each night.:)

Do you have any idea how old that bear is? He looks young to me. Is he a he? I think the name Charlie fits him to a T. He has a Charlie look about him, whatever a Charlie look is like! I know nothing about bears except to steer clear of them. What would happen if you were in the yard, maybe gardening, and didn't see him approaching? Would he attack? Or do they attack only when they're provoked?

Too many questions --- I'd better stop now! Thanks for sharing the pic.:chef:

Hi Anne... we think THINK that this is that same bear that has been visiting us for the last 4 years ( as long as we've lived here.) It only comes at night after dark so... I think THINK that it's pretty safe to be outside during the day time. He's very fat... so I don't think he'll attack us or our animals ( for food) but maybe he would if we made him mad?? I don't know. I don't think I want to know. lol

Notice that the word THINK comes up a lot. Paul's reading a book about bears and how and why they get mean right now. I'm going to read it when he's done.

smiles, T

Bear

While most of my neighbors have actually sighted bears frequently (especially the local beekeeper), we never had the opportunity to see the one we "had".

It started with my foolishly leaving some bags of horse feed in the barn overnight which, next morning, were torn open. Next night, with feed put away, half the hay bales in the feed room were thrown out into the aisle & tossed around like toothpicks. Oddly enough, through all of this, the horses were quiet, as the barn is quite close to the house & I would have heard 7 horses going nuts.

We then started noticing the bird feeders raided, especially of suet, & began finding large - to be polite - "scat" piles underneath our deck, all full of long coarse black hair. The footprints in the mud were the last piece to the puzzle.

Unfortunately, "our" bear met with an untimely end last summer. He was hit by a motorcyclist on the road right outside our drive. Turned out to be a young male, around 100 pounds.

Even tho he was a pain in the you know what, I miss him in a odd sort of way.

I know what you mean Breezy, they become your friend in away. Sort of something you look forward too.

Back
Top Bottom