Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Pac.

If you look at the second pic, you can see that the chives I transplanted into the compost pile early last winter survived. ;)

sonofagun. Makes me want to snatch those out of the ground and grab my kitchen shears :chef:

Taxy, I'm so sorry to hear about Shreddy's declining health. That is so tough. Thank you for sharing pics of him, I enjoyed looking at them. He is a beauty and he looks so happy out there in the sunshine.

CG, my condolences on the loss of your grandkitty. :(

Taxy, I'm so sorry to hear about Shreddy's declining health. That is so tough. Thank you for sharing pics of him, I enjoyed looking at them. He is a beauty and he looks so happy out there in the sunshine.

CG, my condolences on the loss of your grandkitty. :(
Thank you Cheryl. He didn't want to stay out as long today, but I think it was warmer yesterday. I think the pain med is really helping.

I forgot to give it to him, so I just dashed off and gave it to him. It's a once every 24 hour med and I wouldn't want it to wear off.

All you cat experts, I need help.

Monkey, who usually lives up to her name, is suddenly sleeping all day and active all night. I try to get her up for her food and she looks at me and goes back to sleep. Later she will go eat on her own, but not all of it.

On Monday we had one (M2) of the two 9 year olds I sometimes watch on non-school days or after school and she loves Monkey, but picks her up and drags her around too much. The other girl (M1) is very respectful and protective of both Violet and Monkey and they respond in kind. But when M2 is here, Monkey runs for cover as much as she can.

I am worried that this is traumatizing the poor cat who is just 11 months old.

Any suggestions or other ideas to what may be causing these long sleeps?

That article Addie posted got me thinking.

Laurie, I don't know. I do believe that Monkey is getting traumatized. That may be why she is sleeping in the daytime, to avoid the little girl. Cats do sleep a lot. 16 hours isn't unusual for a cat. But, at Monkey's age, I wouldn't think she would sleep that much all the time.

While no expert, I agree with you and Taxy, she's traumatized, and her routine is upset. She may need to be off-limits to the little girl who drags her around, maybe put her in your office when she visits. Beagle is always exhausted after being loved by her human cousins, and it takes awhile for her to recover.

That's a very good point, PF. She runs around my room like a terror when I am on the computer, and then curls up on one of the extra chairs and sleeps, but if I get up for any reason, she follows me around. When I finally got an hour sleep this morning in my recliner, she was up on my lap cuddled up tight.

I am going to bed now (11 pm) as the doctor gave me some codeine cough syrup to try and knock me out. So we shall see how she does.

Thanks, Taxy, Dawg and PF!

Oh, and she did go and eat a few times after I wrote the first post.

I once had a very uncuddly tomcat named Perseus. However, if having a cat cuddle you would make you feel better, he was there cuddling.

Animals just know when the world is not right. When the big earthquake in Northridge hit many years ago, a lot folks in California who had animals told stories of their pets acting very jittery and nervous. One woman who had a ranch said that her horses kept trying to get out of their paddock and refused to calm down. She had to put them in the barn with the door closed.

Another woman said when she was walking by a tree, all of a sudden all the birds in the tree flew into the air. At that moment she felt the earth moving and had to hold onto that tree. :angel:

I have been giving Shreddy a liquid pain reliever that I squirt into the side of his mouth with a syringe. Today, he was fascinated by the bottle and syringe while I was filling the syringe. He wouldn't let me put the syringe in the side of his mouth. Then he chomped on the end of the syringe and happily took his dose. There was a tiny bit left in the syringe that I squirted onto my hand. He licked it off my hand and then licked the syringe clean. I guess he can tell it's doing him good.

Unfortunately it's raining and he isn't getting his garden time today.

Animals just know when the world is not right. When the big earthquake in Northridge hit many years ago, a lot folks in California who had animals told stories of their pets acting very jittery and nervous. One woman who had a ranch said that her horses kept trying to get out of their paddock and refused to calm down. She had to put them in the barn with the door closed.

Another woman said when she was walking by a tree, all of a sudden all the birds in the tree flew into the air. At that moment she felt the earth moving and had to hold onto that tree. :angel:
During WWII my mother lived in a little village about 5 miles from Derby which was a great railway centre and where there were factories making munitions, aircraft engines and other engineering factories and consequently Derby was a frequent bombing target. She lived on the edge of the village green where a local lady kept a flock of geese. Mum told me that she always knew when an air raid was imminent because the geese started making a fuss ten minutes before the air raid warning sirens started up!

Poor Smudge, she is just skin, fur and bones...the diabetes is getting the worst of her. She fights so hard to not get a shot that we have given up trying, much more traumatic for her and she was starting to hide from us. She seems to be happy enough, can still jump up and hums along when being petted. I'm keeping a close eye on her.

Oh, no. Hang in there, Smudge! This is not a good week for DC cats. I guess I would have a hard time giving medicine if it traumatizes her so much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom