Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of days ago, while Shreddy was outside, I videoed him. I wonder if the grass has a medicinal affect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAfnhp8aNWQ&feature=youtu.be
Cats can't digest grass so often eat it if their stomachs are a bit off or they have a furball. It helps them vomit or evacuate at the other end. According to my vet grass also contains folic acid.

Sweet kitty. Tabbies are my favourite sort of cat.

Cats can't digest grass so often eat it if their stomachs are a bit off or they have a furball. It helps them vomit or evacuate at the other end. According to my vet grass also contains folic acid.

Sweet kitty. Tabbies are my favourite sort of cat.
Thank you. I think he is very sweet. :wub:

That's pretty much what I have read about cats eating grass. There are some warnings about toxic houseplants and possible pesticides on grass, but there are no pesticides or herbicides on my grass.

A couple of days ago, while Shreddy was outside, I videoed him. I wonder if the grass has a medicinal affect.

As MadCook said----- cats eat grass to help them vomit. Cats don't have the enzymes to digest grass and somehow they know that eating grass can induce vomiting.

Even healthy cats eat grass. Throwing up might help get rid of a fur ball from grooming.

Be sure you let Shreddy continue to nibble on grass. People even buy pots of grass for the strictly indoor cat to eat.

Update on the adventures of Shreddy.

Last night he went out in pouring rain. He went about 10 feet to where he usually munches grass. He checked out the grass and I guess he didn't want wet grass. Then he turned around and trotted back into the house. A little while later, he zoomed around the house. He hasn't zoomed in a long time. As part of the zoom, he launched himself at his hammock. Poor boy forgot that he isn't as strong as he used to be and missed. Didn't jump high enough. I did not laugh.

He has been getting into the hammock by climbing onto the sofa, using front legs and claws, and then walking onto the hammock. Well, this evening I saw him standing on his hind legs with the front ones on the hammock. He wanted to jump into the hammock. He thought about it and started to move one front leg towards the sofa. Then he put it back and thought about it some more and moved that leg towards the sofa again and again put it back on the hammock. Then he concentrated and made the jump into the hammock. I told him I was impressed. Must be hard for a cat to lose strength that way. He used to be an excellent jumper.

Last edited:
I'm glad Shreddy is getting some relief, Taxy, and that you are getting some quality memories out of this time. When I read about him not being able to jump like he used to, I was experiencing our almost one-year-old Monkey freely jumping and running all over the place, mostly over and under our 10-year-old arthritic pooch, Violet.

Hugs to you, Stirling and Shreddy.

Tax------- can you build a ramp or pile several flat cushions on the floor so Shreddy can get to the hammock easily?

I'm glad Shreddy is getting some relief, Taxy, and that you are getting some quality memories out of this time. When I read about him not being able to jump like he used to, I was experiencing our almost one-year-old Monkey freely jumping and running all over the place, mostly over and under our 10-year-old arthritic pooch, Violet.

Hugs to you, Stirling and Shreddy.

I was tired and didn't finish my train of thought. As I watched Monkey and Violet while reading about Shreddy, it made me think about the circle of life. It effects us all. I am so glad Shreddy is having some enjoyment in his yard crawls and is adapting to his changing abilities.

What's great is that Shreddy keeps trying stuff. So glad his meds are working for him!

Tax------- can you build a ramp or pile several flat cushions on the floor so Shreddy can get to the hammock easily?
He isn't really having trouble getting into the hammock. That thing he did last night, I think was just to prove to himself that he could.

But, I like your idea. I have put a step stool next to the hammock. He doesn't seem to mind stairs. I'll see if he uses it.

He isn't really having trouble getting into the hammock. That thing he did last night, I think was just to prove to himself that he could.

But, I like your idea. I have put a step stool next to the hammock. He doesn't seem to mind stairs. I'll see if he uses it.

You're taking care of Shreddy in a very loving way. Much karma is surely deposited in your Karma Bank.

Some people don't even treat their aging parents that good. :(

Here's a photo of Shreddy sleeping in his hammock. You can see the green step stool. The small table is several inches lower than the top of the hammock. It's where my herbs lived in winter. The table should make it even easier for Shreddy to get into the hammock.

33814-albums987-picture5910.jpg

Back
Top Bottom