"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #221
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
GG, I understand. We thought long and hard before spending the money on the I-131 treatment for Shreddy. Before any treatment, he was hungry all the time and skinny. His vertebrae were protruding a lot and I could feel his ribs too much. I probably wouldn't have done anything about it if he had been happy and comfortable.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Grandma had an old farm dog, he had been found sleeping around the smudge pots in the fields, hence the name Smudge. When my sister was born, that dog would not let anyone but Mom and Grandma near the baby. All her baby pictures had Smudge in them, too. When Dad got home from Korea, Smudge wouldn't let him near the baby for the first couple days, even though Dad was one of Smudge's best friends.
When Mom had Baby Bro, we had the nastiest, most cantankerous cocker spaniel who hated everyone but Mom. Mom insisted that Dad take anything that smelled like the baby, blankets, diapers, who knows what, home from the hospital, and let that nasty dog sniff it. And when they brought Baby Bro home, that evil cocker never left his side.

That said, I would never trust any animal to be left alone with a baby or small child. Beagle is the world's sweetest dog, but is under my watch at all times with little kids.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #223
Executive Chef

Age has a lot to do with the treatment you get for your pets. We once spend over $1K for surgery on a dog, but he was otherwise young and active and lived another 5-6 years afterwards. I was still working and we had the money. The dog we have now is older, at least 13. The vet wants to do blood work looking for a diagnosis because he has a "rat tail." His tail doesn't bother him, he's eating, doing his business, normal weight, and we just don't have the money as retirees to be putting money into a pet who is not going to be here much longer, anyway. This will be our last pet, simply because we cannot afford to give a pet the medical care they so often need.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #224
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Age has a lot to do with the treatment you get for your pets. We once spend over $1K for surgery on a dog, but he was otherwise young and active and lived another 5-6 years afterwards. I was still working and we had the money. The dog we have now is older, at least 13. The vet wants to do blood work looking for a diagnosis because he has a "rat tail." His tail doesn't bother him, he's eating, doing his business, normal weight, and we just don't have the money as retirees to be putting money into a pet who is not going to be here much longer, anyway. This will be our last pet, simply because we cannot afford to give a pet the medical care they so often need.
And that is why I don't have my own pet also. Plus the cost of food. I will live through Spike's Teddy.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #225
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And that is why I don't have my own pet also. Plus the cost of food. I will live through Spike's Teddy.
When I was growing up my friends had a dog, and every night after dinner, all the scraps from the plate were scraped into the dog's bowl and that was what the dog ate. That was so common back then. It is really not recommended to do that because a dog's digestive system is not the same as ours and foods would effect them differently. Some dog foods can get very expensive.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #226
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Our sweet 18-year-old Elwing died yesterday. I was feeling pretty sick (side effects from a new med), so DH was home when it happened. I'm so thankful for that. He took this photo of us last fall.
GG, I am so sorry your sweet Elwing is gone. :'( Big hugs to you.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #227
Executive Chef

My dog likes to lick the inside of my shoes after I take them off. Why is that? It's so weird. When I go to bed, I kick off the slip-ons I wear around the house, and then I can hear him over there shuffling around and when I look, his snout is deep into my shoe. He used to carry my shoes out into the hallway, but he hasn't done that for a while. He's a tiny Maltese, and I would like to know how he gets those shoes out into the hall, but he only does it in the middle of the night. At first we thought we had a ghost the first couple times we got up and found the shoes in the hallway. This was during the time when I was in the hospital every few months, and it seemed that every time he did that I ended up in the hospital. So I am really glad he quit doing it.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #228
Executive Chef

I just discovered Nimbus (a.k.a. His Most Royal Highness the Supreme Fluffy-butt) will allow me to scratch his head to the beat of Panic at the Disco's cover of "What's This?" from "The Nightmare Before Christmas". The beat of "The Copper Wars" by The Cog is Dead is, apparently, also tolerable for head scratching. Making him dance to any songs is, however, completely unacceptable. Not that I thought I'd actually get away with it but I figured since he was being so accomodating it was worth a try.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #229
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just got my last set of scratches healed and you pose such a challenge. Latté is sleeping, she should be receptive to a good rhythmic skritch...

Torment a cat time...
Old 03-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #230
Executive Chef

Lol. Go get that kitty!

Tags
egg