Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is an awesome picture, Taxy! He looks so content.

I was laughing at Monkey earlier. The TV was on and there was a scene with a budgie happily chirping in its cage. Monkey heard it, went to the TV and tried to jump in to the cage. She tried a second time, knowing the noise was coming from there and then when she failed ran to the window hoping to catch the bird there! She "watches" TV a lot, following the movements; however, this is the first time she actually went for it! :LOL:

Violet is a great mouser. Yes, she is a dog, but she really doesn't know it and I don't have the heart to tell her. We cooked at a teen camp once and took her with us. There had been a fire at the location 2 years before and it was over-ridden with mice. At first the site manager didn't want Violet running loose, but when she started "playing" with the mice and killing them in the process, he was more than happy to have her around. I think she was around two then. She has caught her share around here too.

I watched a YouTube video where a homeless mama dog led her rescuer to her puppies by his playing crying puppy noises on his cell phone. Beagle was enamoured, tilting her head and listening intently. When I first got her from the pound, she'd just had puppies, though none were at the pound.

mewing kittens make the cats go nuts, I watch a lot of kitten videos.

For sure! Not only cats---- I had a Doberman bitch that had been spayed but about every six months she would have what I called a psuedo-heat. All the behavior things plus slightly swollen teats. I had a rubber hamburger bun toy that squeaked and when put up against her belly she would nuzzle it, it would squeak and she'd lick it and nuzzle some more. Poor thing, she really wanted to have puppies, I guess.

I almost lost it with Monkey tonight. I was so close to getting rid of her it was scary. She got out again and my friend, who was in the back yard grabbed Monkey who then clawed my friend on her chest, groin and leg. She was a mess. And she was helping out by power washing our patio. I felt so bad.

Monkey wants to be an outdoor cat and a) it isn't allowed here (even though many cats do run free) and b) it just isn't safe for so many reasons. So, we are left with the decision of finding her a home where she can be outside or, being super careful, to the point of putting her in a room or her crate when we are in and out. We love her and want what is best for her.

We do clip her claws and will have to do it more often, but that doesn't help the getting away and not wanting to be picked up.

She is just a kitten and I know that means she has a lot of energy, but I am disabled and chasing her or getting out of her way takes its toll.

Last edited:
Oh dear, this is not good. So sorry, LP, we know how much you love Monkey!

She can't be bored, I know you have all sorts of toys for her. My inlaws used to tie their cat out on the porch with a cat harness, but he was older. We had a stray cat here that we gave to a friend, he was born to roam outside, and quite the escape artist, but he was older too.

Hmm. Maybe a pot of catnip or wheatgrass? She's young, and still impressionable, she shouldn't be dictating to you where she wants to be.

Last edited:
Thanks, PF, if I were to give her to anyone, you would be on my list. And I wish you were closer for many reasons.

Dawg, we have a leash that we attach to a long dog lead. I have a harness that I can't find. We are afraid of hooking it to her collar because if she jumps for the fence or crawls under the few spots TB needs to fix, she may strangle herself. I will be looking for that harness.

I had a cat named Sherbrooke who I walked every night on the boardwalk near my home at the time. He had a harness and lead and we would go out with my friend and her dog. People were amazed every time they saw us! He always new if he was outside he was on a leash or in my carry bag and was happy. The vet's office would see my bag and say "Hi Sherbie" and he would pop his head out. I would even take him to my parent's home and he would roam around with his leash and not try and go out of the yard.

I almost lost it with Monkey tonight. I was so close to getting rid of her it was scary. She got out again and my friend, who was in the back yard grabbed Monkey who then clawed my friend on her chest, groin and leg. She was a mess. And she was helping out by power washing our patio. I felt so bad.

Monkey wants to be an outdoor cat and a) it isn't allowed here (even though many cats do run free) and b) it just isn't safe for so many reasons. So, we are left with the decision of finding her a home where she can be outside or, being super careful, to the point of putting her in a room or her crate when we are in and out. We love her and want what is best for her.

We do clip her claws and will have to do it more often, but that doesn't help the getting away and not wanting to be picked up.

She is just a kitten and I know that means she has a lot of energy, but I am disabled and chasing her or getting out of her way takes its toll.

My Misty was much the same. I kept pushing her away from the door and was very persistent of this. Then, I used a large fish net and just scooped her up and dumped her on the couch when I went in and out. This prevents bleeding and makes the point.

Now, she never goes near the doors and she is very happy inside and riding on the Roomba.

I think this will just take some time, yes?

With love,
~Cat

My Misty was much the same. I kept pushing her away from the door and was very persistent of this. Then, I used a large fish net and just scooped her up and dumped her on the couch when I went in and out. This prevents bleeding and makes the point.

Now, she never goes near the doors and she is very happy inside and riding on the Roomba.

I think this will just take some time, yes?

With love,
~Cat
Thanks, Cat, this is very useful. I am glad things worked out with Misty. I am realizing things about Monkey that she seems to be shying away from people and I think it has to do with a young girl who is sometimes here and just drags Monkey around everywhere. We just need to give her time and let her come to us. But we also need to stop the getting outside. I like the net idea - and she loves being in things! LOL.

As for our Roomba, she prefers to chase and attack it than ride on it! ;)

Monkey was quite quiet last night, not doing her usual running around just at the time we wanted to go to bed.

I was having a real bad pain night (don't know why), and ended up out in my recliner about 2 am. She had been peacefully sleeping in my studio but as soon as I was in my chair, reclined and covered in my blanket, she popped up on my lap, curled up and stayed there until I woke up about 7:00.

We are just going to watch her behaviour for awhile and show her a ton of love.

Our daughter's female cat is skilled like that taxy. Kitty's name is "Mystic" but half the time we call her Houdini! :LOL:
I have considered making a cat harness out of fabric or mesh, with short sleeves and short "pant legs". I think that would make it almost impossible to wriggle out of.

Thanks, Cat, this is very useful. I am glad things worked out with Misty. I am realizing things about Monkey that she seems to be shying away from people and I think it has to do with a young girl who is sometimes here and just drags Monkey around everywhere. We just need to give her time and let her come to us. But we also need to stop the getting outside. I like the net idea - and she loves being in things! LOL.

As for our Roomba, she prefers to chase and attack it than ride on it! ;)

Ha! The net worked for Misty. Just come down upon Monkey with it and scoop her quickly. And yes, give her time.

Is it possible to make the little girl refrain from dragging Monkey around everywhere? This may help also, yes?

I wish you good luck!

With love,
~Cat

Sadly, LittleBit had more energy than I did today.

Attachments

• 2014-05-12 20.52.01.jpg
    2014-05-12 20.52.01.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 171
Back
Top Bottom