Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Taxy and Dawg. In my office there is a big air purifier and the fan in it is loud enough on high to drown things out. Because of this and the fact that the Roomba can't get in here, Violet sees it as her "safe room". I could put music on my computer as well just to make sure the sound is fully drowned out.

All my preparations and the cats didn't even get excited. They sat there with an ear cocked towards the sound of the booms. Latté wandered to me once for a little skritch of reassurance and then went to sleep in front of the TV.

All my preparations and the cats didn't even get excited. They sat there with an ear cocked towards the sound of the booms. Latté wandered to me once for a little skritch of reassurance and then went to sleep in front of the TV.
Good thing you did the preparation, 'cause it worked.

I hope it isn't too hard on them (and you worrying about them).

Monkey wasn't too bad on Tuesday but poor Violet has such a hard time. Even her Thundershirt didn't help. She and I ended up crawling under the covers together in the room furthest to the noise. I feel so sorry for animals with fireworks.
My old dog absolutely loved thunder and fireworks. At the first crack she'd run to the window, put her feet on the ledge and watch the pretty colours with apparent enjoyment.

My uncle on the other hand had a GSD who was terrified. He lived in a kennel outside but always gave advance notice of thunderstorms by howling. Did the same on Bonfire night. He was allowed into the house for the duration and sometimes, if it was very bad, he'd cry to be let into the pantry under the stairs. If I was there I used to go and sit in the dark with him and put my arms round him and tell him stories (well, I was only little).

Oddly enough, none of our cats have ever been bothered by thunder and fireworks

My old blond cocker was terrified of storms until he went deaf. My third-hand dalmation was a shaking, whining mess and had to sit on top of me. My other dogs have had no issue with storms or fireworks. Beagle couldn't care less, the only thing she truly hates is getting wet!

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
I knew a German Shorthaired Pointer who was a great hunting dog and when his owner would take him to the gun range the dog would sleep while guns/shotguns/cannons were going off right next to him.

Just let one firecracker be set off 3 streets away and he was a quivering mass of doggy! Poor guy. :(

My old dog absolutely loved thunder and fireworks. At the first crack she'd run to the window, put her feet on the ledge and watch the pretty colours with apparent enjoyment.

My uncle on the other hand had a GSD who was terrified. He lived in a kennel outside but always gave advance notice of thunderstorms by howling. Did the same on Bonfire night. He was allowed into the house for the duration and sometimes, if it was very bad, he'd cry to be let into the pantry under the stairs. If I was there I used to go and sit in the dark with him and put my arms round him and tell him stories (well, I was only little).

Oddly enough, none of our cats have ever been bothered by thunder and fireworks

I am sure he enjoyed the stories. I just hope they were happy stories and not ones like Hansel and Gretel. :angel:

There is nothing more heartbreaking than a scared, crying big dog. Thankfully, Beagle is rarely scared of anything, except for cats.

Last edited:
My mom and I have a cat that is 17 years old. Poor thing doesn't know what to do with Mom in the hospital. Won't eat and just mopes in "his" chair. Poor "Evil Mojo Jojo". My daughter named him after the monkey on "The Power Puff Girls" cartoon.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

My mom and I have a cat that is 17 years old. Poor thing doesn't know what to do with Mom in the hospital. Won't eat and just mopes in "his" chair. Poor "Evil Mojo Jojo". My daughter named him after the monkey on "The Power Puff Girls" cartoon.

Mom will be home soon and when he gets really hungry, he will eat. Maybe lot a lot, but he will eat. I am sure he will be so happy to see Mom when she arrives. Or he may just ignore her to punish her. Pets have a way of letting you know that you did something very wrong. And don't you dare do that again! :angel:

Mom will be home soon and when he gets really hungry, he will eat. Maybe lot a lot, but he will eat. I am sure he will be so happy to see Mom when she arrives. Or he may just ignore her to punish her. Pets have a way of letting you know that you did something very wrong. And don't you dare do that again! :angel:

You're right about that. He gobbled up his wet food this AM and I put him more dry before I left to go back to the hospital.

More continues to be unpredictable. When we got home Monday he ignored me but as soon as Mom got settled in her chair and got her feet propped up he was in.front of her chair meowing to get up there with her.

:LOL:

If I've been away for a few days horse will go and stand with his back to me and his head in the corner of the stable and refuse to have anything to do with me for a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom