"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #541
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't know for sure. He seems to understand English.

But, the no name stuff didn't look as nice. It had a lot more coagulated white stuff (protein?) on the surface than the Clover Leaf salmon does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Interesting link, though I knew most of that stuff. But, it doesn't really apply in this case. The tinned salmon is the stuff meant for human consumption.

I'm not really concerned about what is in his pet food at this stage in his life. I just want him to like it enough to eat it. I did try making raw food for him (from a recipe from a vet), but he wouldn't eat it. Next cat is getting homemade food, as well as learning to use the toilet, ride in the car, and to tolerate a "sponge bath" and having its teeth brushed. That is, unless I adopt an cat that is too old to learn that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad for a cat. Cat's have a different idea of what 'looks nice' than humans. Or is edible, hence why they might eat their barf.
I doubt he didn't want it because of appearance. He sniffs his food. I just mentioned it because I assume that a bunch of congealed protein means it was overcooked and that would affect flavour and maybe aroma.

I've never seen a cat eat its barf. I have seen dogs do that.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #542
Master Chef

Tough day

Taxy, glad to hear Shreddy is hanging in there so strong. Unfortunately, I have sad news to share. LittleBit died in the wee hours of this morning. She started to act a bit sniffly and lazier than normal on Wednesday. I was working in the garden when my SIL stopped by. She was mentioning that both of their cats had gone through a bout of a feline virus making the rounds in our part of the county. As she was describing the symptoms I told her about LittleBit. Sounded like the same thing. She said the vet said there is nothing you can do for it but keep the kitty hydrated and comfortable and wait the five or so days it takes to run through the system and they start to act normal again.

With Monday being the day kitty should be feeling better, and Monday being Memorial Day (thank you to all our servicemen and women for their sacrifices for our freedom) we figured if LittleBit wasn't all better by Tuesday we'd get her to the vet. During the rest of the week she had been holding her own, getting as much water as I could get into her, and although weak still getting into the litterpan to void. During the day Saturday she was even moving from place to place, not far but moving. She was taking liquified canned cat food through the syringe. Things were looking up. Saturday night we went through our regular routine, watching a rerun of "Castle" after the 11:00 PM news with me flopped on my Snuggler chair and LittleBit laying across my middle. Afterwards I set her down so I could get the dish of water and the syringe I had been using to "water" her. She completely collapsed on the floor as if the stuffing had gone out of her. When I picked her up her system started to shut down, and I moved her to the kitchen to save the carpeting. Himself got her "sick bed" (we would keep an old plastic tablecloth covered with a couple of old bath towels on the floor in case she needed something waterproof under her...) and put it down on the floor, I lowered her gentle and stroked her gentle and talked to her sweetly as she left us. Would be nice if all of us humans had as loving as a send-off. All I know is we're gonna miss the little fuzzball.

RIP my LittleBit. You were a good friend, loving and loved. No better way to be remembered, whether critter or kin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-16 13.59.17.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	21357  

Old 05-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #543
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Oh CG (((hugs))). I'm so sorry to read this. RIP LittleBit, the gorgeous.

That's so awful. You didn't even get a chance to get used to the idea. I can imagine how much you will miss her. How old was she?

I'm crying.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #544
Chef Extraordinaire

CG, I'm very sorry to hear about LittleBit. I'm glad you were able to comfort her during her last moments. {{{hugs}}}
Old 05-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #545
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh no, CG, so sorry. RIP, LittleBit.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #546
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I agree. But, he is carrying it pretty far. I bought a tin of "No Name" salmon and he wouldn't eat it. He wants the brand name stuff.
My last cat would only eat tuna and it had to be Sainsbury's (a medium quality supermarket) or he turned up his nose at it. He would go days without eating if I didn't give him what he wanted.

A cat we had when I lived at home with my parents, would refuse to eat her own food, or anything at all, from when a chicken came into the house until it's carcass went in the refuse. My mother used to weaken!
Old 05-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #547
Master Chef

Thanks taxy. I've been as leaky as an old garden hose all day. LittleBit was at least 12-13 years old. When we got her from the shelter in April 2006 they guessed she was at least 4-5 years old. Over the last couple of years she's acted older than her "age", acted older than our previous kitty Midnight who was 17 when she died, so it's possible she was older. Bitsy has also had some medical issues that the vets (two different practices) never could put their finger on, starting back in August 2010. That first vet kept her for 4 days and almost $1000; they wanted to do more extensive testing but we brought her home, got her back on her feet, and that was the last time she was ever that sick. Or at that vet. Working with the second vet and our own common sense, every time she showed any problem coming up we'd nip it right away. So it seemed liked every time she got a little sick I was a bit afraid it would be the end of her. Guess this time it was.

Thanks GG. We'll adjust to not tripping over her eventually. But I told Himself no more kitties until we move. Maybe we can get this house up for sale quicker that way?
Old 05-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #548
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My condolences CG! Bless Littlebit and a Bon Voyage for her trip to the Rainbow Bridge.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #549
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Taxy, glad to hear Shreddy is hanging in there so strong. Unfortunately, I have sad news to share. LittleBit died in the wee hours of this morning. She started to act a bit sniffly and lazier than normal on Wednesday. I was working in the garden when my SIL stopped by. She was mentioning that both of their cats had gone through a bout of a feline virus making the rounds in our part of the county. As she was describing the symptoms I told her about LittleBit. Sounded like the same thing. She said the vet said there is nothing you can do for it but keep the kitty hydrated and comfortable and wait the five or so days it takes to run through the system and they start to act normal again.

With Monday being the day kitty should be feeling better, and Monday being Memorial Day (thank you to all our servicemen and women for their sacrifices for our freedom) we figured if LittleBit wasn't all better by Tuesday we'd get her to the vet. During the rest of the week she had been holding her own, getting as much water as I could get into her, and although weak still getting into the litterpan to void. During the day Saturday she was even moving from place to place, not far but moving. She was taking liquified canned cat food through the syringe. Things were looking up. Saturday night we went through our regular routine, watching a rerun of "Castle" after the 11:00 PM news with me flopped on my Snuggler chair and LittleBit laying across my middle. Afterwards I set her down so I could get the dish of water and the syringe I had been using to "water" her. She completely collapsed on the floor as if the stuffing had gone out of her. When I picked her up her system started to shut down, and I moved her to the kitchen to save the carpeting. Himself got her "sick bed" (we would keep an old plastic tablecloth covered with a couple of old bath towels on the floor in case she needed something waterproof under her...) and put it down on the floor, I lowered her gentle and stroked her gentle and talked to her sweetly as she left us. Would be nice if all of us humans had as loving as a send-off. All I know is we're gonna miss the little fuzzball.

RIP my LittleBit. You were a good friend, loving and loved. No better way to be remembered, whether critter or kin.
My sympathies.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #550
Certified Cake Maniac

My deepest condolences, CG. You did all you could for her and I know she knew that. She was very beautiful.

I think TB thinks I am batty, but I am thinking about taking Violet back to our old vet. I like the new one, but he doesn't seem to take Violet's leg condition seriously because he hasn't seen the horrific x-rays and doesn't seem interested in getting them from the other vet. He told me that there was no way it could be as bad as I described and said if I want to add another pain killer he'll do it, but the dog will be sedated most of the time. It is gabapenten and I take it. I don't want her to have that unless she needs it, but we have to prove she is in pain. She looks at me with this "Help me Mom" look and backs herself into my legs so she is always touching me. She whines and yelps constantly. The diarrhea is coming back even though she is still on the medication. She is eating okay, but not like she was.

Please, if I am paranoid tell me. I just don't want her to be in pain. Should I go back to the old vet who knows her? The reasons for not going is it is a long car ride and Violet hates them (and I am better at short ones if I am in pain myself).

I don't think we will lose her, I just want her well.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egg