"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #581
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wanting to make sure that this is the right time is not an easy decision. Does Shreddy still like going outside? Is he still contentedly purring? My Best Thoughts and Wishes for all three of you.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #582
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wanting to make sure that this is the right time is not an easy decision. Does Shreddy still like going outside? Is he still contentedly purring? My Best Thoughts and Wishes for all three of you.
Hasn't been purring for quite a while. He still wants to go outside and does go, several times a day. He was out in the rain yesterday. He came back to where it wasn't raining and decided he really did want to be out there, even if it was wet.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #583
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Hasn't been purring for quite a while. He still wants to go outside and does go, several times a day. He was out in the rain yesterday. He came back to where it wasn't raining and decided he really did want to be out there, even if it was wet.

Shreddy has been listening to your phone calls...
Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #584
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would say as long as Shreddy is not hurting or miserable, just hold off. He is still showing interest and curiosity AND still eating.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #585
Certified Cake Maniac

monkey was out in tje yard on her leash all morning chasing bugs and going from sun to shade. I brought her in about 1 and never saw her again. I worried she had gotten out again until I found her in her "cave" at the bottom of her play tower fast asleep. play hard, rest hard!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #586
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm relieved to read that Monkey wasn't lost.

A friend's cat went missing 31 May. Then a couple of days later, when she opened the door to call the cat, the other cat ran out onto the street and got run over. He died in the 5 minutes it took to drive him to the vet.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:06 AM   #587
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm relieved to read that Monkey wasn't lost.

A friend's cat went missing 31 May. Then a couple of days later, when she opened the door to call the cat, the other cat ran out onto the street and got run over. He died in the 5 minutes it took to drive him to the vet.
I am so sorry about your friend's cats, Taxy. That is so tragic.

Yes, I was relieved about Monkey too. She seems to be submitting to the fact that if she wants to stay outside she stays on the lead and is just out of reach of the fences. I am happy this seems to be a compromise we can all live with.

Violet actually seems to be the only one with a problem with the new arrangement. She will come and get me and I will think Monkey has tried to escape and she will be happily chasing a butterfly or something. Violet takes her role as big sister a little too seriously sometimes I think.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #588
Executive Chef

Is there room in the DC Animal Hospital for Horse? This morning he was diagnosed with an early stage cataract in his left eye. He's always been a very sensible and level headed boy and in all the years I've known him (17 years and owned him for 14) I have never know him to shy at anything but twice last week he spooked at nothing in places where he goes every day. Decided to call the vet in, as out of character behaviour has to have a cause.

I was really quite relieved that it was a cataract as I had the spectre of brain damage/tumours, etc., at the back of my mind.

The vet needs to know whether it has been a long time coming or if it has developed quickly so he's going to do a progress check in 8 weeks but he ran through the alternatives with me. They ran from do nothing, through to a cataract removal operation at Liverpool University Vet Hospital. I'm tempted to go down the "do nothing" route. He's a very fit 22 year old but I can't see any advantage in putting him through the trauma of an operation with a general anaesthetic. The vet said that even if the cataract developed to a stage where he was blind in that eye he could still have a happy and fulfilled life. As he said, there is a horse doing three-day eventing at Badminton who has only one eye! The only proviso is that Horse mustn't be ridden on the road because of the danger of him shying at something he can't see properly at the side of the road and causing an accident with a motor vehicle. That's no problem as there is plenty of off-road riding around the farm where he lives.

He's not keen on dogs due to a very bad experience when he was young but he'd happily snuggle up with the invalid DC kitties in the chronic cases ward.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #589
Chef Extraordinaire

MC, I'm glad to read that it isn't anything serious. I think you are right that putting him through general anaesthesia at his age might be a bit much and I doubt he enjoys long rides in a horse trailer.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #590
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh Horse! Hope you get your bearings. Several of my previous (elderly) dogs had cataracts and got along just fine, though they weren't ridden. It may be he just needs to get used to it. I don't think I would want to put him through all the rigamarol of surgery either.

Tags
egg