"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #961
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That's what I need - a cat cuddling job.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #962
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If I ever strike it rich, I want to build a Cat House on my property with a house that is just for cats that I would be taking in from the pound and unadoptable senior cats. Of course folks who knew I had cats would be allowed to adopt, but none of the cats would ever HAVE to leave. There would be an isolation room if a cat was sick, a kitten room, but the rest would be filled with litter boxes, beds, towels, blankets, furniture to scratch and lots of window sills. There would be places for me to sit, read and cuddle. A cat paradise. The only cage would be an outdoor area with grass and trees that was covered so they could not get out.

My next cats will be seniors, no more than two at a time in my current circumstances.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #963
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
If I ever strike it rich, I want to build a Cat House on my property with a house that is just for cats that I would be taking in from the pound and unadoptable senior cats. Of course folks who knew I had cats would be allowed to adopt, but none of the cats would ever HAVE to leave. There would be an isolation room if a cat was sick, a kitten room, but the rest would be filled with litter boxes, beds, towels, blankets, furniture to scratch and lots of window sills. There would be places for me to sit, read and cuddle. A cat paradise. The only cage would be an outdoor area with grass and trees that was covered so they could not get out.

My next cats will be seniors, no more than two at a time in my current circumstances.
It sounds just like the place where my friend does her cat cuddling job. The day room has sofas - for the cats but the cuddlers are allowed to sit on them while cuddling.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #964
Executive Chef

Tetley's much better. The Cushing's test came back about as negative as you can get and the vet has ruled out anything else serious. He's come down on the side of arthritis. Tet's been on "Bute" (an anti-inflammatory)for four weeks, initially a high dose but down to a low one now and it seems to be keeping him happy and comfortable. Bute isn't ideal - it was taken off the British Pharmacopoeia for humans because it had dangerous side effects in long term use. It's not good for horses long term either but, as the vet said, it's a low dose and at 23 old age will probably finish Tet off before the Bute gets him. If he's happy and comfortable I don't much care.

When his time comes I won't be sentimental about it. We kept my other horse going on medication for 5 years when she was given a prognosis of 3 months but the meds kept her comfortable and she lived a happy life as a field companion to a friend's horse. When she suddenly became very poorly overnight we sent for the vet and he delivered the coup de grace straight away. I don't believe it's fair or kind to "strive officiously to keep alive" very sick animals with no chance of a good quality of life.

Lauren, who has Tetley on part loan 3 days a week, is on holiday in Florida for 3 weeks and doesn't know the prognosis so she'll be thrilled when she gets back. Unfortunately she is moving to Scotland to live with her boyfriend in May so we'll be losing her. I'm looking for someone to replace her as I'm finding the mucking out hard work full time. Can't believe that what took me 3/4 of an hour twice a day when I first had him now takes me 3 or 4 hours, 3 or 4 tea breaks and a lie down with a couple of pain killers when I get home! Wouldn't be without him though.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #965
Executive Chef

One for the Cat People

I've had cats, on and off, all my life and am about to adopt a new one. A lady I've know for years at the stables who is an inveterate animal rescuer - she's a small scale horse dealer and often goes to the auctions to buy horses for other people and in addition to the horse she's chosen for the client she often comes back with one or two that she's snatched from the clutches of the "meat man". (I should stress that she does know what she's doing!) She also rescues dogs. Local people who find strays frequently bring them to Sheila!

Her sister on the other hand rescues cats. She currently has a two year old female rescue cat who is being bullied by the older cat at home so Sheila asked me if I'd like to have her. I take "possession" (or the cat takes possession of me!) in a couple of weeks.

It's taken me a long time to get here but I have a question about litter trays.

I don't have a cat flap yet and she'd have to stay in for a week or two anyway so a litter tray will be essential. I've used clumping and non-clumping cat litter (yuck) and also wood pellet litter (which I found better). However, I have recently read about hemp based litter on an American site and I wonder if anyone has any experience with this? I used to use hemp bedding for Tetley and I loved it as it dried quickly, didn't smell and was easy to muck out. I can't find any special cat litter using hemp available over here but a big bale of hemp bedding for horses would be cheaper anyway.

I know all hemp production is against the law in the USA but apparently it can be imported for animal bedding and litter and other purposes. We don't have the same proscription in the UK because the hemp used isn't THAT sort of hemp (ie not the cannabis producing strains)! It's grown for fibre and paper and the seeds and their oil are used in animal and human foodstuffs (very nutritious apparently) and cosmetics. The bedding and litter comes from the waste material after the crop's processed.

If anyone has any experience with hemp cat litter or has heard anything pro or con the use of it for cats I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #966
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our pets

Excellent news about dear Tetley, MC. Hope he continues to feel better.

On the subject of cat litter, I don't have cats, but here's another option. DH's company makes World's Best Cat Litter, and it gets rave reviews. It's corn based. It's also distributed in Great Britain, you may be able to find it.

Another thought, if cats enjoy corn based litter, they might also like hemp based litter.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #967
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Pleased to hear the good news about Tetley.

How old is the cat? I don't know if it would work for you, but have you heard of the option of having the cat learn to use the toilet? No, they don't bother to flush.

A friend's daughter posted on FB, "My neighbours cat just begged to be let in, and dashed to the bathroom to pee in my toilet... Literally balanced on the seat peeing into the toilet."
Old 04-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #968
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Excellent news about dear Tetley, MC. Hope he continues to feel better.

On the subject of cat litter, I don't have cats, but here's another option. DH's company makes World's Best Cat Litter, and it gets rave reviews. It's corn based. It's also distributed in Great Britain, you may be able to find it.

Another thought, if cats enjoy corn based litter, they might also like hemp based litter.
Ah, I've just been looking at the World's Best Cat Litter on-line. Thought it looked good. I may give it a go. Thanks Dawg.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #969
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
When his time comes I won't be sentimental about it. We kept my other horse going on medication for 5 years when she was given a prognosis of 3 months but the meds kept her comfortable and she lived a happy life as a field companion to a friend's horse. When she suddenly became very poorly overnight we sent for the vet and he delivered the coup de grace straight away. I don't believe it's fair or kind to "strive officiously to keep alive" very sick animals with no chance of a good quality of life.
We have a show here on a National Geographic channel. It is about a vet that treats mostly farm animals. Along with the family pets of dogs, cats, hamsters, etc. They have shown many times when he has had to put an animal down. First he gives them a strong tranquilizer, then the final dose. He wants the animal to be calm and feeling restful. Only when that happens, and the owner(s) have had a chance to say their goodbyes, will he give the final dose. He is not afraid to tell the owner that he feels like he has done all he can for the animal and it is time to make the decision. I have never seen one instance where the owner did not follow his lead. He is one heck of a vet.

But I am glad to hear the good news about Tetley.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #970
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Pleased to hear the good news about Tetley.

How old is the cat? I don't know if it would work for you, but have you heard of the option of having the cat learn to use the toilet? No, they don't bother to flush.

A friend's daughter posted on FB, "My neighbours cat just begged to be let in, and dashed to the bathroom to pee in my toilet... Literally balanced on the seat peeing into the toilet."
Yes, I was looking at that on U Tube. I'm not sure whether is would be permissible over here. I didn't think the cats looked very happy and I wouldn't want her to end up with cystitis or to have an incontinent cat urinating all over the house.

Tags
egg