Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, not one of ours, but this is what they look like. The buggers are *fast*! They run into little gaps in the stone face of the raised garden when they're startled.

Good for you, Beag!! :LOL:
JD....your little Brianna is a cutie!

Thanks. Brianna actually belongs to my mom, though, but I love her too. My mom also has a little Pug -- a male named Max. Max is so ugly he's cute, and when I am over there visiting and preparing dinner, Max wants to be right by me. So when I'm at the counter chopping veggies or something, Max is laying on my feet (shoeless feet).

He's a cute little dude. I love him a lot. My mom lives in a town that is very dog friendly. Most stores allow you to bring your dogs inside. I take him to the local hardware store with me.

DH and I went on our noon walk with Beagle. We had to say goodbye to our good friend, Charlie. He's 12, a beautiful brindle mastiff mix, but has gone from 90 lbs to 40. He's skin and bones. He no longer eats much, and the vet can't find anything wrong with his organs. The owners will have him put down later this week. I'll miss him, very sweet boy, and he's one of the few big male dogs that Beagle likes.

When this thread was started I had a cat, she has been gone for 5 years now. I miss her dearly. She was the most human cat I ever met, would have long talks with you, yell at you, just sit next to you and some times cuddles. She was also the meanest bossiest cat I have met. One her favorite thing to do to my ex was hiding behind him when he was playing computer games and when the music went more intense or the action on the screen, she would put a cold nose in nape of the neck or a paw on hi shoulder and scare the living daylight out of him. She did this a lot and you could just her smugness after ward. He started bribing her with her favorite candies so she wouldnt do to him and it work. The cat trained him well. I do miss her, she was so much fun and so much evil in one cat. She got to be 14 years old, a good age for a mix breed of persian, siamese , short haired Swedih cat . No long coat, just fluff and a petite cat with petite face , looked more like a tonkinese or a 1920 Siamese but fluffy and black.

DL, I am sorry to hear about Charlie. Our neighbour just lost one of her dogs and Violet can't figure out why she only walks one now. It is very sad.

Speaking of Violet, she is getting very whiny and needy. We will leave a room that she is in sleeping and she will all of a sudden start whining. We call her but while I know she hears, it is like she doesn't understand. Or she will be right beside us and she whines for cuddles. The doctor says that while her arthritis is progressing in the back legs, she still has enough muscle that she isn't lame. He has her on the maximum doses of medication but we worry she is in pain (I can totally relate to that one) and is crying out for us to help her. I am worried we may have to make a decision a lot sooner than we expected. Though, she is 12 and for her size that is starting to get old.

Monkey is still the brat cat but is becoming the talk of the neighbourhood! I have started taking Violet on a second walk (TB takes her before he goes to work on a long one) just before dinner. Monkey has started following us. There is construction going on and the workers think it is hilarious. The kids love it. She just started doing it totally on her own. If we get our of her site she meows at the top of her lungs.

You are not supposed to let your cats out her but I told the manager that as soon as there is a formal complaint about my cat and/or the other people are made to keep their cats in, I will keep Monkey inside. She actually comes inside to use her litter and then goes back out if allowed. And there is about a dozen feral living around here with some people feeding them.

Oh, LP, poor Violet.

Monkey is hilarious! We had a cat who adopted us years ago, we named him Chester. Chester would follow us around outside like a dog. Watching him follow DH was hilarious, it was like he was on a leash. His tail was at least three times the length of his body. I gave him to a friend out of town who'd just lost her cat, but Chester was a free spirit. He was an outdoor cat. She kept getting tickets for Chester being loose.

CP, I totally understand "human-like" cats. I had two when I was in college, and they both knew their names, and would come when called. My dad despised cats, so they would go in through his jacket, and poke their heads out the sleeves. He was not happy.

Last edited:
Oh my cat had a name for me, people realized that she was calling for me and no one else. She used to say, MawMaw, when she wanted me to come or needed help.

Poor Charlie, I send his parents my best wishes and thoughts.

Smudge is 17 this year, Latté is 16...Django turned one in August. Both girls still run and chase Django around the house. Smudge is having litter issues, she has chosen the hallway for elimination. I think I may need to get her a shorter litter box. Latté is still my cuddler. Django is like a ball in a pinball game, never stops.

Thanks, PF.

Beagle is 12. Her tumor was cancerous, fibrosarcoma, but I won't let them carve any more pieces out of her. We're done.

A strange cancer, chemo and radiation don't work on it. Apparently quite common in both cats and dogs, but there's not much they can do about it, other than keep carving pieces out. It doesn't metastasize. Weird.

She still acts like a puppy. Once she starts having cognitive issues, we may have to have the talk.

Last edited:
Thanks, PF.

Beagle is 12. Her tumor was cancerous, fibrosarcoma, but I won't let them carve any more pieces out of her. We're done.

A strange cancer, chemo and radiation don't work on it. Apparently quite common in both cats and dogs, but there's not much they can do about it, other than keep carving pieces out. It doesn't metastasize. Weird.

She still acts like a puppy. Once she starts having cognitive issues, we may have to have the talk.
Aw, poor Beagle. Is the tumour at the site of one of her vaccine injections?

Aw, poor Beagle. Is the tumour at the site of one of her vaccine injections?

No. Apparently cats get fibrosarcoma tumors at the vac site, but not dogs. At least according to her vet. It was on her chest.

I'm not putting her through any more invasive procedures, including teeth cleaning. She'll get yearly vaccines, her heartworm tabs, Frontline, and that's enough.

No. Apparently cats get fibrosarcoma tumors at the vac site, but not dogs. At least according to her vet. It was on her chest.

I'm not putting her through any more invasive procedures, including teeth cleaning. She'll get yearly vaccines, her heartworm tabs, Frontline, and that's enough.
It can be other sarcomas too. And some dogs get it as well, though it is more common in cats. I don't blame you for not putting her through any of the really unpleasant procedures. Quality of life is more important.

Django is like a ball in a pinball game, never stops.

PF, that is a wonderful description. We always say Monkey is training for the Catolympics as she races around, jumping onto and over things. Only problem is with her being black, I don't see her well at night and have almost tripped several times - she races by you so fast. I love the name, Django!

Beagle is 12. Her tumor was cancerous, fibrosarcoma, but I won't let them carve any more pieces out of her. We're done. She still acts like a puppy. Once she starts having cognitive issues, we may have to have the talk.

DG, I am so sorry to hear of Beagle's problems. We went through something similar with our Joie. He had something in his lung. They said they could operate but it wouldn't necessarily stop it. They were right. I will keep you and Beagle in my thoughts and prayers.

I think Monkey has had her last trip outside. I just had a woman complain because Monkey goes in her yard, does her business and chases birds. First of all, as I said, Monkey does all her business in her litter box and she may chase birds but she has only ever "caught" one that I know of and it was already dead. I would rather keep her in anyway but I can't wait until we move that these animals can have more freedom. It may take 4 months to sell our place and while we have found where we want to live, we have to sell first. :( We are hoping there will be suitable units available when we are ready or we will be moving in with family LOL

Our friend Charlie went to the vet at 4 pm today to be put down. RIP, sweet Charlie. When we were patting him for the last time on our noon walk, DH managed to step in some Charlie poo. We didn't care, DH wiped it off on another neighbor's lawn.

Last edited:
Our friend Charlie went to the vet at 4 pm today to be put down. RIP, sweet Charlie. When we were patting him for the last time on our noon walk, DH managed to step in some Charlie poo. We didn't care, DH wiped it off on another neighbor's lawn.

How sad Dawg. I hope Beagle doesn't have a difficult time adjusting to not seeing Charlie anymore. :angel:

How sad Dawg. I hope Beagle doesn't have a difficult time adjusting to not seeing Charlie anymore. :angel:

Thanks Addie. Beagle probably won't be too disconcerted, though she'll look around and wonder. DH and I, not so much. We'll miss that big goofy dog who always greeted us. He always had to wait for us when we were spotted from the highway. He would stand in the middle of the road by his house waiting for us.

Last edited:
I held it together today, DH was the one crying when we patted goofy Charlie for the last time. Thankfully I had an extra kleenex in my pocket. I'll have to send Charlie's parents a card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom