Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our friend Charlie went to the vet at 4 pm today to be put down. RIP, sweet Charlie. When we were patting him for the last time on our noon walk, DH managed to step in some Charlie poo. We didn't care, DH wiped it off on another neighbor's lawn.
:cry: Sorry about Charlie. Losing furry friends is worse than losing human friends sometimes. ~ Maybe DH could have preserved that Charlie-poo and made a plaque for it to give to Charlie's people. Or not.

Thanks, CG. And I agree, sometimes it does seem worse than losing human people. Didn't want to equate it, but it makes sense to me. Seeing poor Charlie losing so much weight and staring off, after knowing him as such a vital guy was hard. His owners are having a much tougher time.

12 is old for a big dog, and he had hip surgery. He was a sweety. We'll miss him. The walks won't be the same anymore.

Last edited:
It's hard to even read about a loved pet developing the difficulties that come as they get old. I still think often of our Bailey, who passed 10 years ago. He was the sweetest, most loving dog, but had we known we'd have named him Houdini instead of Bailey, because he was an amazingly accomplished and creative escape artist. We had a multi year battle trying to keep him in the 6 x 6 x 16 run while we were at work. Only dog I ever knew who could climb up the wall of a 6 foot kennel and hang there while tearing open a hole in the chain link fabric that I roofed the kennel with to keep him from going over the top. I had to finally triple layer the roof on both ends, and put sheet metal 3 feet high all the way around on the lower walls, double layer chain link on the floor over 3/4" plywood. Ultimately I won the battle, but sometimes I think it was just because he got too old to carry on the war.

He was a shelter adoption - a golden retriever/white German shepherd mix. A beautiful dog and loving friend. We were without a dog for the next 8 years until we adopted Miley 2 years ago this coming January.

Here's a photo of Bailey (so named because my wife thought he was the color of Bailey's Irish Creme.)

i-MVJF94Z-XL.jpg

DL, I am so sorry to hear about Charlie. But I agree with PF that he is now at Rainbow Bridge without a care in the world. I know my Joie will be happy to have a new friend. {{{{{Dawgluver}}}}}

Aww, thanks guys!

Rick, what a beautiful dog was Bailey. So fuzzy and huggable!

Aww, thanks guys!

Rick, what a beautiful dog was Bailey. So fuzzy and huggable!

He was fuzzy... keeping up with the doghair around the house was an endless chore. Even between cleanings I could go around daily and pick up balls of fur in the corners and crannies along the baseboards. He had a heavy undercoat and loved playing in the snow.

i-KFc3PC4-L.jpg

Rick, I fully sympathize with you! My son had a Saarloose Wolfhound, the other a German Shepherd and I a yellow lab- when my sons had their houses up for sale... guess who babysat. Furball city mama!

We've always lived in a sea of dog hair too. The worst was when I had two cockers and a dalmation. The dal was actually the worst for shedding. I wore a lot of black for work, and dal's hair, being short and coarse, just kind of "knits" itself into your clothes. Black clothing was the perfect canvas.

Beagle also does her part with shedding, and freely distributes hair everywhere.

While shopping with my daughter, trying to pick up some lounge pants for around the house - I had to reject 95% of them as to attractive to cat and dog hair!

We've always lived in a sea of dog hair too. The worst was when I had two cockers and a dalmation. The dal was actually the worst for shedding. I wore a lot of black for work, and dal's hair, being short and coarse, just kind of "knits" itself into your clothes. Black clothing was the perfect canvas.

Beagle also does her part with shedding, and freely distributes hair everywhere.

Try pug hair. It works itself into EVERYTHING. We had an American Eskimo and thought his hair was bad. Unh, unh, pug hair beat his down easily.

Try pug hair. It works itself into EVERYTHING. We had an American Eskimo and thought his hair was bad. Unh, unh, pug hair beat his down easily.

Yeah, long soft dog or cat hair can be swept up. Short, coarse dog hair becomes a part of your clothing and furniture!

So sorry, DL, for your friends' loss. My Dad's loyal companion is on her last legs...I am not looking forward to life with Dad without his "baby dog."

Chihuahua hair...very short and in everything. I only had Patrón to the house about 4 times and I still have Chihuahua hair in blankets, and funrniture.

Violet's hair is bad too. TB has to keep a lint brush at the door for his uniform. Even if he puts it on just before he leaves for work he still finds hair on himself.

Bella and Arwen warming their butts on the radiator while waiting for Snowmageddon 2016 to start. I took this yesterday. We have several inches of snow now. And Jim Cantore is in town! :ohmy: :LOL:

Attachments

• 1483819697649.jpg
    1483819697649.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 107
Back
Top Bottom