"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Party help!

Hi,

My name is Hilary and I just joined this forum.I have been looking for a forum to discuss cooking.

Well my main question is for my birthday party.

I am going to be 25 this November and I am going to have a 1985 birthday party.

I have been researching food (and drinks) and things to serve at the party.But all I have seen so far is junk food.I am planning on serving a buffet.I want to find something distinctly 80's.Not just candy and junk food but real food.

Any and all help would be great!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

You want a buffet? Do you want all finger food? How about several salads About how many people.? Small sandwiches are nice, anti pasto platters can be done ahead covered and then set out as the party starts. Chips and dips. More details about things you love to eat will help us.
kadesma

Old 08-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I was gonna have a couple appetizers set up in the living room with cocktails and the buffet in the kitchen.I am looking for stuff I can keep in crock pots and a meat dish.I really wanna make a ham but i am not sure if thats a real 80's thing?I like casseroles and such.

I am guessing there will be at the most 12 people attending.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeandHomer View Post
I want to find something distinctly 80's.
As far as food from the mid-80's, I can't help you with that as it hasn't changed much for the most part.....except for their packaging. I can't name one food item that was distinctly popular back then. Music, movies, clothing, and hairstyles, yes.

Hall & Oats
The Mullet hair style
Boy George
The Breakfast Club

etc...
Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Foods don't change that much, you could do an adult mac and cheese, and spiral cut ham but I think I'd jut get a boiled ham that would give you more surface to cut it. You don't want to be carving at the last minute. I'd do several chip and dips with drinks they were popular in the 80's or a tray of small sandwiches We use to buy unsliced bread cut through the long way into 3 sections butter then fill with cream cheese and bacon and olives with pimento chopped next layer tuna salad or chicken salad, deviled ham and green onion third layer cover the outside with more cream cheese and us some chopped parsley to color it up slice into thin slices on a platter surround with a curly lettuce or flowers dips can include the ever popular onion dip or salmon, dill, cream cheese with nice water crackers. I have other ideas if you are interested.
kadesma
Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

My sisters 80's dip we all love this and it can be made the day ahead and will taste wonderful
Take a defrosted 10oz pack of chopped spinach and with your hands squeeze as much waster as possible from it. Combine with 2 cups of sour cream 1 cup mayo 1 package leek dry soup mix.1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley 1/2 cup chopped green onions both green and white 1 Tab. fresh chopped dill or dry dill 1 tea. dry Italian salad dressing mix Combine in food processor til blended Refrigerate til ready to use, serve In bread bowl with bread removed from cent and some carrots,celery and other assorted veggies
enjoy
kadesma
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Master Chef

Pac-man shaped cookies.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Buffalo wings were just coming into the forefront
Tab was REALLY big
Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Master Chef

"On" TV
Richard Simmons
The Vitamin Bible
Nautalis gym equipment

Did I mention Hall and Oats?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Foods don't change that much, you could do an adult mac and cheese, and spiral cut ham but I think I'd jut get a boiled ham that would give you more surface to cut it. You don't want to be carving at the last minute. I'd do several chip and dips with drinks they were popular in the 80's or a tray of small sandwiches We use to buy unsliced bread cut through the long way into 3 sections butter then fill with cream cheese and bacon and olives with pimento chopped next layer tuna salad or chicken salad, deviled ham and green onion third layer cover the outside with more cream cheese and us some chopped parsley to color it up slice into thin slices on a platter surround with a curly lettuce or flowers dips can include the ever popular onion dip or salmon, dill, cream cheese with nice water crackers. I have other ideas if you are interested.
kadesma
Yes,definately I am open for all ideas and tips.