"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #291
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Is there anything more terrifying that the screech a stepped on cat can make? Keeps your heart going. And that screech can make you feel so guilty.
I grew up in a rocking chair household, and I know that sound well. Somehow their tails always round up under a rocker. Screech! (And yes, we often had cats with slightly bent tails!).

Old 06-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #292
Chef Extraordinaire

I have hesitated about telling this. It is funny and gruesome at the same time.

One of my tenants in Tacoma had a cat. One day when it was outside, its tail got run over by a car. The cat ran off nursing its wound. The next day it was in the house and she stepped on the tail again. The cat never made a sound. It just got up and walked away leavng the skin behind under her foot. She looked down and the cat was waving just the skeleton of the tail. We couldn't stop laughing. Something out of Halloween. Finally after a couple of days her husband couldn't stand it anymore. He got the cleaver and just chopped the bone off. The cat never made a sound and went merrily on it way. Evidently when the car ran over the tail, it killed all the nerves and tissues in the tail.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #293
Master Chef

Oh Addie! I agree both humorous and gruesome! The other night I had a biscuit with honey for a quick snack (didn't eat lunch and supper too soon for a meal). Salem usually ignores our food but she came up, sat on my chest and wanted my biscuit. I tore little bits off for her and she gobbled them right up. Normally she turns her nose up to people food.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #294
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Oh Addie! I agree both humorous and gruesome! The other night I had a biscuit with honey for a quick snack (didn't eat lunch and supper too soon for a meal). Salem usually ignores our food but she came up, sat on my chest and wanted my biscuit. I tore little bits off for her and she gobbled them right up. Normally she turns her nose up to people food.

Must be the weather, Smudge was begging for and ate cheese, she usually ignores it. She ignores most people food. Latté is my gourmet kitty.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #295
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I grew up in a rocking chair household, and I know that sound well. Somehow their tails always round up under a rocker. Screech! (And yes, we often had cats with slightly bent tails!).
Ernie Ford used to have a saying about that.

"Nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs."
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #296
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was outside, battling gnats and pulling stuff out of the gardens that shouldn't be there, and the sweetest young dog came to visit. Around 40 pounds, black and tan. He knows basic commands and is very friendly. He had a collar but no tags. Of course, Beagle went nuts watching from inside the house. I've seen this sweet boy before. A neighbor came by, walking her beagle, and said she knew the dog, he is a frequent visitor at her house. She has the owner on speed dial, as the dog gets out often, and we all live around a busy highway. I had her send me the owner's number, this dog should not be running, and there is no excuse for him getting loose so much, especially without tags.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #297
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

poor Puppy!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #298
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yes. The owner will get a piece of my mind next time!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #299
Master Chef

Rosebud has seemed bored lately. I think it's the phenobarbital. But she still takes off like crazy when she wants to chase a bird or squirrel. She doesn't look (to me) like she's gained any weight, but I might take her in for a weigh-in. Bit at least I'm not dealing with epileptic seizures any more/
Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #300
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Rosebud has seemed bored lately. I think it's the phenobarbital. But she still takes off like crazy when she wants to chase a bird or squirrel. She doesn't look (to me) like she's gained any weight, but I might take her in for a weigh-in. Bit at least I'm not dealing with epileptic seizures any more/
Lethargy is normal with phenobarbital...as long as she can shake it off and get in some exercise. The vet may also lower the dose to what is still effective, but could perk her up a bit.