Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our pets know lots of words. When I ask Pippen the Wonder Dog if she needs to go outside or go potty, our cat Bella runs for the door, too. And they all know what num nums are.

Our pets know lots of words. When I ask Pippen the Wonder Dog if she needs to go outside or go potty, our cat Bella runs for the door, too. And they all know what num nums are.
Yup, I think they can understand a lot of what we say, but aren't interested in most of it.

One episode of Homer Simpson had, for a short period, captions for what the dog was hearing. It went something like, "Blah blah blah blah blah food blah blah blah walk blah blah blah play blah blah blah."

Why oh why do I insist on watching Animal Police? I get so upset when I see the conditions of the animals they take into custody. Specially the horses. For the most part there is a happy ending for most of the animals. But for some, it is too late. And I get so upset. :angel:

My kids know the word Scooby snacks. They run to the closet door when we say that word so we say SS when we speak about them.

My Pearl and Sophie are extremely gifted in the snacking department. The mere rustle of a potato chip bag will bring them in from out in the yard, charging in at you like a herd of wildebeasts. NO words necessary.

Last night we had a thunderstorm. Teddy heard the rumblings from off in the distance. He started to run for the bathroom where there is no window and can't see the lightening. He froze in the middle of the bedroom floor when the big clap came. Spike had to get up and pick him up and put him under the blanket. Even after the storm was over he refused to come out until this morning. Poor baby. I hate to think of him being so scared.

We are so impressed with him lately. He has always run to my door and barked his head off when anyone in my little cove where my apartment is located would come in or go out. So lately instead of just calling him and telling him to stop, I have been getting up and making him go back to his little rug. Now he just stays on his rug and gives out a little bark. He gets a reward and plenty of praise for that. I just love this little dog to death. :angel:

My Pearl and Sophie are extremely gifted in the snacking department. The mere rustle of a potato chip bag will bring them in from out in the yard, charging in at you like a herd of wildebeasts. NO words necessary.

Sort of like when a pet hears the sound of the can opener. No words necessary. Who knew a bag of chips or a can opener could talk? :angel:

Mine can hear me unwrapping butter or taking the lid off the butter. Not only that, they can tell if it's me or Shrek...they don't show up for Shrek.

Mine can hear me unwrapping butter or taking the lid off the butter. Not only that, they can tell if it's me or Shrek...they don't show up for Shrek.

Beagle can tell the difference between an ice cube and a piece of fish/meat/ cheese, etc. dropped in her dish. From miles away. The nose knows.

Last edited:
Addie, what kind of dog do you have?

My old guy (pictured in my avatar) would go crazy when he heard the bag of carrots being opened. He loved his carrots and yellow peppers. I really miss my little guy.

Addie, what kind of dog do you have?

My old guy (pictured in my avatar) would go crazy when he heard the bag of carrots being opened. He loved his carrots and yellow peppers. I really miss my little guy.

Teddy is a pure Maltese. He is my son Spike's dog. He brings him up here to see me every night. It is my son's excuse to check on me each day. I just love that dog. I can't have a dog due to financial and physical limitations. I am a strong believer that if you can't afford to take care of a pet, then you shouldn't have one. So I get my enjoyment from my son's dog. And in the winter I could never take him out for daily walks. I can't even take myself out for a daily walks. Ever sinice Spike's wife died, Teddy has become a therapy dog for both of us. He has given my son a purpose in life. :angel:

Teddy is a pure Maltese. He is my son Spike's dog. He brings him up here to see me every night. It is my son's excuse to check on me each day. I just love that dog. I can't have a dog due to financial and physical limitations. I am a strong believer that if you can't afford to take care of a pet, then you shouldn't have one. So I get my enjoyment from my son's dog. And in the winter I could never take him out for daily walks. I can't even take myself out for a daily walks. Ever sinice Spike's wife died, Teddy has become a therapy dog for both of us. He has given my son a purpose in life. :angel:

I, too, after working for a vet, believe that if you cannot care for a dog for any reason (physical, time-wise, or financial), please don't. I love it that you and your son have found a solution to that. It just cracks me up that you call your son Spike and that was the name of my sister's maltese! Little dogs need tough names!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an insomniac. So there I was, at o'dark thirty (I think it was around 4 a.m.) and ... a bat starts flying around the room. My first thought was, is it a bat or a bird, but it didn't take long for my sleep-deprived brain to realize of course it was a bat.

My house is an old house, shot-gun-style. My husband was upstairs, dead asleep. But my dog was with me. I was just waiting for her to go crazy. But she was eeirly calm. She just looked at it as it fluttered and soared around the house. I thought to just prop open all the storm doors and hope it would just fly out, but we have problems with racoons and feral cats (the latter aren't a problem, really, I like them) and didn't want any outdoor animals setting up housekeeping inside. I didn't want to wake husband to help me, and doggie was just an observer.

Eventually, bat made it to the kitchen, and I think (I was leaning over to prop open the door) I think it flew out over my head.

But it just cracks me up that Rosebud didn't bark once, and didn't get excited. There is nothing she loves better than to chase birds, squirrels, and feral cats in the yard. She just looked at this creature with puzzlement, as in, what in the heck is going on in this house.

Addie, I'm so sorry about the loss of your son's wife but I'm glad the two of you have that little doggie to help bring some enjoyment to the two of you.

Smokey is a puppy mill dog and she costs a lot of money with her health problems because of it but I think I do a great job at keeping her as healthy as possible. Considering I lost her brother a few months ago at the age of 7 1/2 years, I don't know what will be in stores for her. I hope she lives a long time but if she's suffering I will do what's best for her and let her go. Losing her is going to be the toughest one ill ever endure.

For years I always had bats hit me in the back of my head while we were having fires in our pit out back. I learned to start wearing a hat so they won't get tangled up in my hair. That's a huge fear of mine!

My hubby had one land on his chest, wings fully opened, a few years back and I never heard him scream like a little girl before that but even as I type this I can't help but to bust up laughing about it!

I'm an insomniac. So there I was, at o'dark thirty (I think it was around 4 a.m.) and ... a bat starts flying around the room. My first thought was, is it a bat or a bird, but it didn't take long for my sleep-deprived brain to realize of course it was a bat.

My house is an old house, shot-gun-style. My husband was upstairs, dead asleep. But my dog was with me. I was just waiting for her to go crazy. But she was eeirly calm. She just looked at it as it fluttered and soared around the house. I thought to just prop open all the storm doors and hope it would just fly out, but we have problems with racoons and feral cats (the latter aren't a problem, really, I like them) and didn't want any outdoor animals setting up housekeeping inside. I didn't want to wake husband to help me, and doggie was just an observer.

Eventually, bat made it to the kitchen, and I think (I was leaning over to prop open the door) I think it flew out over my head.

But it just cracks me up that Rosebud didn't bark once, and didn't get excited. There is nothing she loves better than to chase birds, squirrels, and feral cats in the yard. She just looked at this creature with puzzlement, as in, what in the heck is going on in this house.

It's just possible Rosebud didn't want the bat to notice her...I'd hunker down and be quiet, too!:LOL: Kitchen towels work on birds and bats that get in the house.

Addie, I'm so sorry about the loss of your son's wife but I'm glad the two of you have that little doggie to help bring some enjoyment to the two of you.

Smokey is a puppy mill dog and she costs a lot of money with her health problems because of it but I think I do a great job at keeping her as healthy as possible. Considering I lost her brother a few months ago at the age of 7 1/2 years, I don't know what will be in stores for her. I hope she lives a long time but if she's suffering I will do what's best for her and let her go. Losing her is going to be the toughest one ill ever endure.

For years I always had bats hit me in the back of my head while we were having fires in our pit out back. I learned to start wearing a hat so they won't get tangled up in my hair. That's a huge fear of mine!

My hubby had one land on his chest, wings fully opened, a few years back and I never heard him scream like a little girl before that but even as I type this I can't help but to bust up laughing about it!

Yup, that's a story you will have to remember forever...:LOL: and re-tell as often as possible.

Years ago, when I bartended at a large restaurant with high ceilings, we kept several tennis racquets around for the sole purpose of bat-herding.

Back
Top Bottom