Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PrincessFiona60 said:
I've been weaning myself off the last of my pain medications, Tylenol. The only thing I am taking now for any arthritis pain is Glucosamine for my knees. So far, fairly good. My shoulders are aching all the time.

Since switching Doctors, I want to be off all pain meds so we can start from scratch on pain management. I need alternatives, since I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAIDS because of medication interactions.

PF..... My shoulders ache all the time too along with a lot of other parts (arthritis and unexplained pain). I have decided that my shoulders ache from sleeping on them, I don't think I have any muscle tone left In them and as we age even the fat on our shoulders tends to descend lower. I'm thinking I will try to regain some of that muscle with exercise.
I hope you get your pain under control, I certainly understand wanting to be off meds.

I know its not for everyone, but I get tremendous relief from yoga. They have special restorative classes designed to help manage pain, in various body parts. I was told about 13 years ago I'd be on painkillers daily forever (at the time it was Vioxx) and I take nothing unless I do something stupid.

Alix said:
I know its not for everyone, but I get tremendous relief from yoga. They have special restorative classes designed to help manage pain, in various body parts. I was told about 13 years ago I'd be on painkillers daily forever (at the time it was Vioxx) and I take nothing unless I do something stupid.

I'd like to start doing something like that. Years of working as a server is taking a toll on my body. Knees and back especially, since I have such a small frame. Does glucosamine actually help? I imagine walking fast, carrying up to 25% or more of my body weight at any given time, for 6-12 hours a day is wearing on the cartilage.

I was up all night. That is no big deal. I just sleep when I get tired. So I go to sleep during the day. I was in a deep sleep and the phone rang. Now I have to answer it. I have two kids with serious medical problems. One that has had eight heart attacks and now my daughter. It was my middle son. He had a stupid question, as usual. I tried to get off the phone so I could go back to sleep. But he just wanted to chat. I ended up just hanging up the phone. To late. I can't get back to sleep. So I stand up to get dressed so I can go to see my daughter. Here comes the vent!

I get dizzy. My legs won't move right. If I try to walk I will fall down. So I lay down again and try to get back to sleep. I am in a deep sleep again. The phone rings and it is some stupid marketing phone call. I am able to get back to sleep. Don't these people know it is Sunday? Are they so stupid that they think it is all right to call on this day?

If I am woken when I am sleeping, I can't function. I can't walk, or even hold a cup. I need to wake up on my own. I don't know if it is my medications that are causing this problem, but it only happens when my sleep is interrupted. It is normal for folks to feel dizzy when they first wake up. But it is a quick dizzy. My dizziness goes further. It affects my arms, legs and whole body. And it doesn't go away until I am able to get a full uninterrupted sleep. My family knows this. But my middle son calls me all the time with stupid questions. I keep telling him I was sleeping, but he just goes on chatting until I just hang up. Dumb kid. I will not be polite with him any longer. He hasn't gotten the memo. I am really ticked off. I wanted to go see my daughter. Now it is too late. So I will have to wait until tomorrow. I called her house and she has gone to bed for the night. :mad::mad::mad:

I'd like to start doing something like that. Years of working as a server is taking a toll on my body. Knees and back especially, since I have such a small frame. Does glucosamine actually help? I imagine walking fast, carrying up to 25% or more of my body weight at any given time, for 6-12 hours a day is wearing on the cartilage.

I know that if I quit taking the glucosamine, within a week I cannot even sit comfortably, without my knees screaming.

I know that if I quit taking the glucosamine, within a week I cannot even sit comfortably, without my knees screaming.

My sister used to take that. She couldn't understand why her sugar readings were so high all the time. Then she looked at the ingredients on the glucosamine label. Very high in sugar. So she quit taking it. All her pain came back with a vengence. She decided that she can control her sugars with a proper diet, and her pain with the glucosamine. :ermm:

One thing we all have to remember whether talking meds, diet, supplements, etc, is that all of our bodies are different. I had a Rx for Vicodin for the hip break. Everyone kept telling me how they got high on the stuff. Huh? I only got groggy and was sleeping much of the day and none of the night. AND it wasn't helping the pain much at all. Of course, it turns out the pain reliever is Tylenol, which never has worked for me. And give me a glass of wine over the other any day. But, that's me. I talked to my surgeon, who said pretty much my philosophy, every bod different, and asked what works for me. Ibuprofen, and gave me a Rx for the stronger stuff. It works much better. I've been an insomniac for all of my life, and didn't need something interfering with what are already iffy sleep cycles.

My husband's doctor recommended trying glucosimne for something (I think it was hip pain connected to osteo-arthritis). He took it for awhile, the pain went away, and he went off it. He's a borderline diabetic (controlled by diet) and didn't notice any difference, but then he doesn't take blood sugar levels any more.

Right now I'm being religious about taking calcium and glucosomine supplements, at least until my hip heals. Can't say they make any difference, but also can't say they could hurt either.

Vicodin are Hydrocodone and Tylenol, I use it for Acute pain only and sparingly.

I quit using it within a few days. It wasn't helping as much as it was giving me grief, so put it in the back of a drawer (yes, even in small town USA we've had problem with people stealing this and Oxycodone (probably misspelled) when gossip gets 'round that you have some. I'll keep it there for emergencies for another month or so (that is to say, if I wrench the joint somehow), then take it to my pharmacist for disposal. The ibuprofen just works better for me, and as long as I eat correctly with it, so far no side effects.

I quit using it within a few days. It wasn't helping as much as it was giving me grief, so put it in the back of a drawer (yes, even in small town USA we've had problem with people stealing this and Oxycodone (probably misspelled) when gossip gets 'round that you have some. I'll keep it there for emergencies for another month or so (that is to say, if I wrench the joint somehow), then take it to my pharmacist for disposal. The ibuprofen just works better for me, and as long as I eat correctly with it, so far no side effects.

Yeah, it causes me problems, but not as bad as ibuprofen does at this point. That's why the big medication switch, I want my ibuprofen back!

I am on Vicodin for my hip and spine. Take two, three times a day. I receive a ten day supply each refill. I hate taking them They leave my mouth so dry. I only take one. And some days none at all. It all depends on how much I walk or stand. My present refill has lasted me 17 days so far. And I still have some left. I hate taking pain medications or mind altering ones. My needing the Lorazapam the other day was a rare occurence. The last time I took it was five years ago when some stupid doctor told me that my leg couldn't be saved.

Yet I am the first one to feel that if someone is in acute pain, they should ask for something to releive it. The same goes for mental distress. I have a very high tolerance for pain. If I just sit down when the pain starts (and I hate to do that) it does subside. I have yet to accept the fact that I am not superhuman. But one thing at a time. I am presently still learning to not be so stubborn. And that is a big order.

I am grateful to have these drugs available to me if and when I need them. When I ask for them I always remember the first thing new doctors are taught.

I Will DO No Harm

And I know that if they refuse me, it is in my best interest. Allowing a patient to be in pain without offering help, is doing harm. :angel:

It's the doing something stupid that gets you every time (for me it was of all things, walking in my sleep). I'm not crazy about Yoga (requires more patience, flexibility, and balance than I have, and yes, I know if I did it regularly it would probably improve the latter two). But I do take yoga's baby sister, Pilates, and find it to be a great deal of help. It really helps with posture, which in turn helps with back pain. I call it yoga's baby sister because all of my Pilates instructors have been Yoga instructors, so the version of Pilates I take has a lot of Yoga stretches mixed in.

Today I came down with the worst UTI I've ever had in my life. Had to sit through my early class feeling like I had to go to the bathroom the entire time. I thought it was the coffee. If I had known it was a UTI coming on, I would have just gone!!! It's amazing how suddenly it came on. I usually feel them creeping. There was even enough blood to make my urine red. I'm so upset I couldn't get into the doctor today. I am so uncomfortable!!!! The AZO I took finally seems to be helping a little. I've also been drinking so much water I have to go every half hour. The bright orange color from the AZO is a little unnerving.... Tomorrow I have to sit through 2 morning classes before I can go to the doctor. I refuse to start the year off behind. I know myself, and with how much there always is to do at the start of the year I would have a hard time getting caught back up. I read a warm compress could make me feel better, but it was unclear whether to put it on my bladder, or on my urethra... Anyone ever tried this? And does anyone know how to keep it from getting ten times worse overnight? I need to be able to function in the morning...

Today I came down with the worst UTI I've ever had in my life. Had to sit through my early class feeling like I had to go to the bathroom the entire time. I thought it was the coffee. If I had known it was a UTI coming on, I would have just gone!!! It's amazing how suddenly it came on. I usually feel them creeping. There was even enough blood to make my urine red. I'm so upset I couldn't get into the doctor today. I am so uncomfortable!!!! The AZO I took finally seems to be helping a little. I've also been drinking so much water I have to go every half hour. The bright orange color from the AZO is a little unnerving.... Tomorrow I have to sit through 2 morning classes before I can go to the doctor. I refuse to start the year off behind. I know myself, and with how much there always is to do at the start of the year I would have a hard time getting caught back up. I read a warm compress could make me feel better, but it was unclear whether to put it on my bladder, or on my urethra... Anyone ever tried this? And does anyone know how to keep it from getting ten times worse overnight? I need to be able to function in the morning...
Oh no! (((hugs))). Doesn't the university have an emergency clinic?

taxlady said:
Oh no! (((hugs))). Doesn't the university have an emergency clinic?

Hmm I don't know. It's probably too late now anyway... Even if they have anything this late it would probably be more expensive. I'll just toughen up and wait til tomorrow. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning tho :(

Dawgluver said:
So sorry Skittle! Hope you get some relief. Cranberry juice?

I took some cranberry pills. Hopefully that will help keep it from getting too much worse overnight... Garlic is supposed to be a natural anti microbial too, and I had some garlic tablets (not the useless low odor kind lol) on hand anyway, so I took one of those too. The AZO seems to be working. This is the first time I've tried it- the UTI's I've had in the past were mild so I never bothered. Sent poor bf to the store to get it. I told him he should pick up some miconazole cream and tampons while he was in that aisle and see if the cashier gives him bf of the year award ha ha ha... I don't think he was as amused as me ::angel::

Double up on the AZO and garlic, tonight and in the morning. Lots of water to keep your system flushed. You want to make your urine as acid as possible.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Double up on the AZO and garlic, tonight and in the morning. Lots of water to keep your system flushed. You want to make your urine as acid as possible.

Is it safe to double up on the AZO? The cranberry pills have vitamin C too so that helps with the acidity. Maybe I should drink some orange juice. We actually happen to have some...

Is it safe to double up on the AZO? The cranberry pills have vitamin C too so that helps with the acidity. Maybe I should drink some orange juice. We actually happen to have some...

Did you get AZO Cranberry? If so, it's just concentrated cranberry, won't hurt you. There is also an AZO UTI Pain relief, that one take as directed.

Back
Top Bottom