"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #2761
Chef Extraordinaire

I got rid of both my credit cards. Now when I shop on line, I use PayPal.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #2762
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

This is what I believe also, Taxlady. I'm pretty sure that when I got this account I asked about it and was told I was not protected against fraud if I used online banking. I realize so many people do it all the time without any problems. Many people think I'm nuts when I say I still mail checks to pay my bills. I guess I'm old fashioned.
Well think of it this way, all of those people handling your check have your account number,routing number, name and address. An online payment may never be seen or handled by a person.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #2763
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I use PayPal for Ebay purchases and with other online merchants who use Paypal. But I use my credit card only, no bank account. Checkout is lightening fast like Amazon because credit card, billing, and shipping info are already there on file.

And speaking of credit cards, I carry and use only one rewards card. In the last 25 years or so I don't think I've ever paid a dime on credit card interest. I pay in full each month and banks hate that.....:))
Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #2764
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I use PayPal for Ebay purchases and with other online merchants who use Paypal. But I use my credit card only, no bank account. Checkout is lightening fast like Amazon because credit card, billing, and shipping info are already there on file.

And speaking of credit cards, I carry and use only one rewards card. In the last 25 years or so I don't think I've ever paid a dime on credit card interest. I pay in full each month and banks hate that.....:))

They may hate it, but they keep increasing my credit limit, even though I never come close to the limit I have now.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #2765
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
How do you get billed with PayPal?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #2766
Master Chef

You can give PayPay your checking account or credit card info. You can also keep a cash account/balance with them. There are several ways to make payment using PayPal.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #2767
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
They may hate it, but they keep increasing my credit limit, even though I never come close to the limit I have now.
Simply having a very high limit on a line of credit can affect your credit purchasing power in some instances, like if you're trying to finance a new car or applying for a home loan, for example. You can potentially max out on your credit, increasing your monthly payment obligations.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #2768
Executive Chef

Quote:
Simply having a very high limit on a line of credit can affect your credit purchasing power in some instances, like if you're trying to finance a new car or applying for a home loan, for example. You can potentially max out on your credit, increasing your monthly payment obligations.

I've heard that, but I've never had a problem. I have a very high credit score and any time I've bought a car my loan goes through right away with a low interest rate. I have also heard that having a lot of available credit is good if you don't owe anything on the credit. I don't know the terminology, something like the credit to debt ratio. I also heard that canceling credit cards can lower your credit score.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #2769
Executive Chef

Quote:
You can give PayPay your checking account or credit card info. You can also keep a cash account/balance with them. There are several ways to make payment using PayPal.

I knew about giving them your credit card info, but Addie said she had cancelled her credit cards and now uses PayPal. I was wondering how they bill her if she didn't have credit cards. I didn't think about giving them your checking account number, but then, I wouldn't give them that info. I tried PayPal once because it was the only way I could pay for the item I wanted. Shortly after opening the PayPal account, the credit card number I gave them was compromised. I cancelled the PayPal account right after that. I don't know if it was compromised because of PayPal. It could have been a coincidence.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #2770
Executive Chef

i consider paypal to be the safest way to pay for my online purchases. i don't have any hard evidence to back up this confidence in paypal, other than they appear to be very security conscious in their operations.
i still use a cc for most purchases, though. for me, paypal has been good for only about 1/3 of my purchases.