"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #2761
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
I got rid of both my credit cards. Now when I shop on line, I use PayPal.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #2762
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

This is what I believe also, Taxlady. I'm pretty sure that when I got this account I asked about it and was told I was not protected against fraud if I used online banking. I realize so many people do it all the time without any problems. Many people think I'm nuts when I say I still mail checks to pay my bills. I guess I'm old fashioned.
Well think of it this way, all of those people handling your check have your account number,routing number, name and address. An online payment may never be seen or handled by a person.
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #2763
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I got rid of both my credit cards. Now when I shop on line, I use PayPal.
I use PayPal for Ebay purchases and with other online merchants who use Paypal. But I use my credit card only, no bank account. Checkout is lightening fast like Amazon because credit card, billing, and shipping info are already there on file.

And speaking of credit cards, I carry and use only one rewards card. In the last 25 years or so I don't think I've ever paid a dime on credit card interest. I pay in full each month and banks hate that.....:))
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #2764
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I use PayPal for Ebay purchases and with other online merchants who use Paypal. But I use my credit card only, no bank account. Checkout is lightening fast like Amazon because credit card, billing, and shipping info are already there on file.

And speaking of credit cards, I carry and use only one rewards card. In the last 25 years or so I don't think I've ever paid a dime on credit card interest. I pay in full each month and banks hate that.....:))

They may hate it, but they keep increasing my credit limit, even though I never come close to the limit I have now.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #2765
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I got rid of both my credit cards. Now when I shop on line, I use PayPal.
How do you get billed with PayPal?
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #2766
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,639
You can give PayPay your checking account or credit card info. You can also keep a cash account/balance with them. There are several ways to make payment using PayPal.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #2767
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
They may hate it, but they keep increasing my credit limit, even though I never come close to the limit I have now.
Simply having a very high limit on a line of credit can affect your credit purchasing power in some instances, like if you're trying to finance a new car or applying for a home loan, for example. You can potentially max out on your credit, increasing your monthly payment obligations.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #2768
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Simply having a very high limit on a line of credit can affect your credit purchasing power in some instances, like if you're trying to finance a new car or applying for a home loan, for example. You can potentially max out on your credit, increasing your monthly payment obligations.

I've heard that, but I've never had a problem. I have a very high credit score and any time I've bought a car my loan goes through right away with a low interest rate. I have also heard that having a lot of available credit is good if you don't owe anything on the credit. I don't know the terminology, something like the credit to debt ratio. I also heard that canceling credit cards can lower your credit score.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #2769
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
You can give PayPay your checking account or credit card info. You can also keep a cash account/balance with them. There are several ways to make payment using PayPal.

I knew about giving them your credit card info, but Addie said she had cancelled her credit cards and now uses PayPal. I was wondering how they bill her if she didn't have credit cards. I didn't think about giving them your checking account number, but then, I wouldn't give them that info. I tried PayPal once because it was the only way I could pay for the item I wanted. Shortly after opening the PayPal account, the credit card number I gave them was compromised. I cancelled the PayPal account right after that. I don't know if it was compromised because of PayPal. It could have been a coincidence.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #2770
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
i consider paypal to be the safest way to pay for my online purchases. i don't have any hard evidence to back up this confidence in paypal, other than they appear to be very security conscious in their operations.
i still use a cc for most purchases, though. for me, paypal has been good for only about 1/3 of my purchases.
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.