"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #3071
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Also, witch hazel will soothe bites.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #3072
Master Chef

We don't have many skeeters here. It's too dry of a climate here to support them. But up at the river about an hour away, they are abundant. We have rattlesnakes and scorpions, though. I guess there are nuisance critters everywhere.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:12 AM   #3073
Executive Chef

Mosquitos love me too,I was told they like olive skinned folks over fair skinned people. I have olive skin and I eat plenty of Garlic ;)
Old 06-04-2014, 02:13 AM   #3074
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
We don't have many skeeters here. It's too dry of a climate here to support them. But up at the river about an hour away, they are abundant. We have rattlesnakes and scorpions, though. I guess there are nuisance critters everywhere.
I would rather have rattlesnakes and scorpions. If you leave them alone, they leave you alone. Skeeters are the animal that kills the most humans. Just saw this today:

Old 06-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #3075
Chef Extraordinaire

I still have this stinking cold! And no, I don't feel any better. Looks like I will miss my PT on Thursday again.

And now The Pirate has it. He told me that was the thanks he gets for taking care of me when I was at my worst.

Right now I am waiting for my Roomba to arrive. I know it reached the Boston distribution center, but that is all I can find out. When I tried to register to receive update emails, it has this address as a commercial building and cannot register me. Evidently I am living in a warehouse or factory. Oh joy! Today it feels like I am living in Hell!
Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #3076
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The two Indian stores where I usually buy brown basmati rice were both out. I bought some overpriced organic brown basmati at the health food store. It hardly tastes basmati and it didn't cook quite like basmati. I just read the label, "Not suitable for consumption by persons with an allergy to milk, peanut, sesame, soy, sulphites, tree nuts and wheat." Come on guys. I shouldn't have to worry about that when I'm buying rice. I am not a happy camper. 25 years ago, I used to buy wonderful organic, brown basmati.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #3077
Master Chef

Got a tick on me on Friday. Happened to brush the right side of my belly, just under the rib cage and felt something. I looked down and thought I had a bloody skin tag where there had never been one. I thought it odd that it could grow there, and so quickly. I was concerned because of its color. I had DW take a closer look. She discovered that it was a tick. Fortunately, it wasn't a deer tick. There is no bulls-eye around it, and so I don't believe I've contracted any nasty microbes. The tick was far too large to be a deer tick. Even so, I had ticks even more than I hate mosquitoes.

In my part of the U.P. we have lots of wood ticks, but no cases of lyme disease as the deer ticks seem to stay on the western side of the peninsula. We never had ticks through the 1980's. But we do now.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #3078
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The two Indian stores where I usually buy brown basmati rice were both out. I bought some overpriced organic brown basmati at the health food store. It hardly tastes basmati and it didn't cook quite like basmati. I just read the label, "Not suitable for consumption by persons with an allergy to milk, peanut, sesame, soy, sulphites, tree nuts and wheat." Come on guys. I shouldn't have to worry about that when I'm buying rice. I am not a happy camper. 25 years ago, I used to buy wonderful organic, brown basmati.
Perhaps they are covering their backs (and fronts and sides!) against anyone suing them or perhaps it was packed in a factory where peanuts, wheat, etc are packed or used.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #3079
Executive Chef

Addie?

I was browsing this thread and saw that you were awaiting your Roomba a few weeks back. How are you getting on with it? I keep looking at them in the catalogue and wondering. What happens in the corners? Is it good enough at what it does to be a "stand alone" vacuum cleaner or would it be necessary to retain a more powerful cleaner for the weekly blitz?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #3080
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Got a tick on me on Friday. Happened to brush the right side of my belly, just under the rib cage and felt something. I looked down and thought I had a bloody skin tag where there had never been one. I thought it odd that it could grow there, and so quickly. I was concerned because of its color. I had DW take a closer look. She discovered that it was a tick. Fortunately, it wasn't a deer tick. There is no bulls-eye around it, and so I don't believe I've contracted any nasty microbes. The tick was far too large to be a deer tick. Even so, I had ticks even more than I hate mosquitoes.

In my part of the U.P. we have lots of wood ticks, but no cases of lyme disease as the deer ticks seem to stay on the western side of the peninsula. We never had ticks through the 1980's. But we do now.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That's awful that you were bitten by a tick but the good news is that most of them don't carry any disease. I hope that's true for you.

The not so good news is there are other tick-borne diseases carried by ticks in Michigan (plus other states) and by ticks other than the tick that conveys Lyme, which is Ixodes scapularis (Black Legged tick or deer tick). Those are the American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) and they look different from the 'deer tick'.

I assume you tossed the tick after you thought it wasn't a tick that could make you sick. Too bad. But, as I said, most ticks don't carry any human pathogens so you are probably clear.

The problem is most people go to the CDC for their information on Lyme disease instead of the groups that are knowledgeable about Lyme and co-infections.

Such a group, in your area, is the Welcome To The Michigan Lyme Disease Association!. Linda Lobes is an e-friend of mine and has been active in Michigan for more than a decade with the real truth about tick-borne diseases in her State. You can do no better than to contact her. I hope you do---- plus I sincerely hope you won't get sick with any of the many co-infections that a tick might give a person. The chances are you won't but believe me Lyme and other co-infections are nothing to be sanguine about!