"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #4631
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Addie, I'm glad your granddaughter is OK and that no one in the bank was seriously injured or killed....but your GD should have been trained to take every threat seriously and hit the panic button immediately. I don't think this was a 'funny side' to the story at all. It could have been deadly.
So the saying goes three strikes and your out.
1.Note...Laughs
2.Has a gun...giggles and walks away
3.She just got lucky.Not laughing now.Is she.

Addie:
She could have been a little more professional in her job.The woman actually sat down to count the money after saying she had a weapon.Seriously?
Your GD not only put her life in jeopardy, but the customers lives as well.

Your comments about what the police did.Excuse me? They were walking into a dangerous situation, what did you really expect them to do? Say excuse me Ma'am.Get down please while we hug this situation out? What would you do?

Until you've been or are one or live with one.You have no idea.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #4632
Chef Extraordinaire

In defense of my GD, she is a part timer and has been at this job only a couple of weeks. She actually thought her co-workers were playing a prank on her. She is scheduled for training for emergencies next week. She is presently receiving teller OJT as she works. When she completes all of her training classes she will be full time.

She just had a bank robber pointing a gun at her. And now a police officer is holding an assault weapon just inches from her head. The fact that these people are behind the counter and that they already had the woman in question in cuffs, should have told them something. Screaming in a person's face while holding a gun to their head, hardly creates an atmosphere of cooperation. Did they think the person behind the counter who was sobbing and hysterical was an accessory?

They had the gun and culprit in custody. It was time for them to calm down and remember there are victims to every crime. It wasn't my GD's fault that this woman decided to rob a bank. And the police were acting as if it was. It was akin to blaming the woman for being a rape victim.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #4633
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In defense of my GD, she is a part timer and has been at this job only a couple of weeks. She actually thought her co-workers were playing a prank on her. She is scheduled for training for emergencies next week. She is presently receiving teller OJT as she works. When she completes all of her training classes she will be full time.

She just had a bank robber pointing a gun at her. And now a police officer is holding an assault weapon just inches from her head. The fact that these people are behind the counter and that they already had the woman in question in cuffs, should have told them something. Screaming in a person's face while holding a gun to their head, hardly creates an atmosphere of cooperation. Did they think the person behind the counter who was sobbing and hysterical was an accessory?

They had the gun and culprit in custody. It was time for them to calm down and remember there are victims to every crime. It wasn't my GD's fault that this woman decided to rob a bank. And the police were acting as if it was. It was akin to blaming the woman for being a rape victim.
I'm sorry this happened to your GD, but the police had the gun and the culprit THEY KNEW OF in custody. They had no way of knowing immediately whether anyone else in the bank was an accomplice who had gotten behind the counter by holding someone else at gunpoint. And criminals have been known to pretend to cry hysterically in an attempt to deflect suspicion. Just be grateful no one was hurt.

No wonder FoodieFanatic is confused about what is a Petty Vent and what is an important Vent!
Old 09-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #4634
Honey Badger

Quote:

Your defense is admiral Addie, but lacking.I'll buy in training aspect of it.
What I won't buy is she thought it a prank from her co workers.They were there to train her, not mess with her.If that's the actual case they need to be fired!That's not the time or the place to be messing around.

@what GG said yes it's been known to happen.Accomplices can and will get behind that counter,then chicken out, pretend to be a victim.That cop could have been shot.Do you have issues with cops?It's not the first time you've mentioned (pranks your son pulled on one) before.You thought that was funny to.

What happened to her was a terrible thing.To compare it with a rape victim.That's a backhanded slap in the face to those victims.

It wasn't her fault she was targeted..Hold up there Tonto.She's the one who thought it a laughing matter and walked away.It cold have been prevented.

So maybe what you said to FF,to "Get a thicker skin" you should be saying that to you GD.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #4635
Master Chef

I'm just going to add one more thing, trailing on GG and Munky's post, then I'm done with this.

Addie, my son-in-law has been a cop for 16 years and I can guarantee you their first priority is to protect the citizens by making sure the crime scene is cleared and the suspect(s) are apprehended. They were actually protecting your GD by not taking the time to coddle her.

If the police arrived at the bank within 2 minutes, was the robbery suspect still sitting there counting the money? Just curious....
Old 09-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #4636
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'm just going to add one more thing, trailing on GG and Munky's post, then I'm done with this.

Addie, my son-in-law has been a cop for 16 years and I can guarantee you their first priority is to protect the citizens by making sure the crime scene is cleared and the suspect(s) are apprehended. They were actually protecting your GD by not taking the time to coddle her.

If the police arrived at the bank within 2 minutes, was the robbery suspect still sitting there counting the money? Just curious....
Yes she was. With a stunned look on her face and covered in red ink. The dye package had explodes all over her.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #4637
Master Chef

Quote:
Yes she was. With a stunned look on her face and covered in red ink. The dye package had explodes all over her.
Good example of a dumb criminal. Now, why didn't she run with the loot to the waiting getaway car instead of wasting time counting the money?
Old 09-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #4638
Sous Chef

Addie -
this may sound a bit off key, but put bluntly, your grand daughter needs to find another occupation.

"playing a prank" - seriously, as in next time likely dead seriously - and really dead by gun shot is actually quite serious, anyone who is working at a bank and thinks their co-worker is going to prank them with a robbery note in an open-for-business joint needs to seriously seriously rethink their opinions.

and if she absolutely insists that being a teller is her calling, she needs to find another bank who takes training a whole lot more than BANG you're dead seriously.

sorry - but as explained, the situation is absurd and your GD needs to exit as fast as possible.

oh, the explanation about the cops putting everyone on the floor under weapons - yeah - that's real and that's how it has to happen. which, if the dumbaxx bank had any kind of training, would have been explained to her long before she got behind a counter.

she needs a new bank; what can I say.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #4639
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm sorry this happened to your GD, but the police had the gun and the culprit THEY KNEW OF in custody. They had no way of knowing immediately whether anyone else in the bank was an accomplice who had gotten behind the counter by holding someone else at gunpoint. And criminals have been known to pretend to cry hysterically in an attempt to deflect suspicion. Just be grateful no one was hurt.

No wonder FoodieFanatic is confused about what is a Petty Vent and what is an important Vent!
Yes, it was a horrible event and happy your GD is ok. I've had a couple of friends who work at banks experience a holdup and it is a difficult thing to ever get over. Both were transferred to different branches after it happened so they wouldn't have to relive it everyday walking into work. Hope they do that for your GD.

In regard to my confusion as to where to post, there are way too many threads to have to search to find the right one. I think I find the right one only to find out I was wrong! I wouldn't mind being directed to the right one, I don't appreciate the "Oh, Lor...y!" remarks, like I'm some kind of nut that can't read. Please be kinder to us newbies, we are just trying to participate and contribute. Sarcasm isn't necessary, thank you.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #4640
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
Addie -
this may sound a bit off key, but put bluntly, your grand daughter needs to find another occupation.

"playing a prank" - seriously, as in next time likely dead seriously - and really dead by gun shot is actually quite serious, anyone who is working at a bank and thinks their co-worker is going to prank them with a robbery note in an open-for-business joint needs to seriously seriously rethink their opinions.

and if she absolutely insists that being a teller is her calling, she needs to find another bank who takes training a whole lot more than BANG you're dead seriously.

sorry - but as explained, the situation is absurd and your GD needs to exit as fast as possible.

oh, the explanation about the cops putting everyone on the floor under weapons - yeah - that's real and that's how it has to happen. which, if the dumbaxx bank had any kind of training, would have been explained to her long before she got behind a counter.

she needs a new bank; what can I say.
They have online banking.That's an option.If and I mean IF that's her calling.

Glad my money isn't at THAT bank.I'd be closing out all accounts in a heartbeat.If the Teller can't tell (no puns intended) a prank from reality I see some problems.Especially if the Teller says that person had a "gun" to saying having an "Automatic Weapon" The police don't show up at a situation like that carrying a Red Ryder B-B-Gun! They bring the bad boys in.