"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with Loprraine,Grilling fool,Toots, we live in the country and I can't even begin to count the number of cats,kittens,puppies that have been dumped here. All the cats we've kept have been taken to our vet who takes care of them for free. We did have one pretty black cat someone dumped and we tried through 7 litters to tame her, to catch her..Nothing doing..We did manage to find the babies and had the vet take care of them when they got old enough..Mommie finally wore her self out and a dog got her...We've found homes for all the kittens but it wasn't easy..If we had this happen now and we could catch mommy the vet would get her and take care of the problem right now.I know it sound awful, but I cannot give kittens away to someone I done know..so to save those babies from harm..Well you know
kadesma

Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Thank you all for your replies.

I would like to take her to my regular vet and maybe I will someday, but I'm already dipping into savings for the spay and rabies shot. Once this is all settled I don't plan on bringing her inside, that was just a thought if I were forced to deal with her having a litter. I live in a townhouse so I have no basement or garage, just the little shed that's maybe 3x5 feet. I prop the door open so the wind doesn't blow it shut with her in there.

I feel better that a lot of you are in agreement to spay. I think it is the best option in the long run. I'll keep you all posted, I'll throw a picture of her up here later so you can see what she looks like.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
Head Chef

I'd spay either way. If you'd rather not know, take her to a spay and niter clinic, pay the higher price and insist that they not tell you whether she was pregnant. Consider the excess payment a donation to a very worthy cause.

The last thing you need is another batch of feral cats, starving to death, killing birds and spreading disease in your neighborhood.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Master Chef

Since money isn't the issue, I'd say spay, spay, spay. It does cost more because she'll need .... well, we hate the word, but a kittie abortion. But unless you want the kittens yourself, or know of a friend who will take them in, please spay.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I'd spay either way. If you'd rather not know, take her to a spay and niter clinic, pay the higher price and insist that they not tell you whether she was pregnant. Consider the excess payment a donation to a very worthy cause.

The last thing you need is another batch of feral cats, starving to death, killing birds and spreading disease in your neighborhood.

That's actually a very good idea. I think I might do that. They definitly need the donations. This is the shelter (they're also a no-kill shelter) by the way, that I got Cricket from. They're good people.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Just thought I'd give a quick update.

Brought her in this morning only to recieve a call 15 minutes later to let me know that not only is Ebony a male, but he's already neutered....

Only me...
Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
Head Chef

That's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks! I hope you made a donation anyway.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

And that is how my pretty little sweatpea became peese a quick look by the vet, second time around, oh dear!!!
kadesma
Old 03-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #19
Master Chef

What a hoot! But I have known vets to screw up in sexing a kitten (how do you think Thomas became Thomasina?), but a neutered male at that? TOO FUNNY!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #20
Head Chef

That is hilarious - and here we were giving you all kinds of advice about what to do about the little mama kittie.

Is your indoor cat a female? The chances of male/female cats getting along is pretty good. when I married my husband, we each had 12 year old male cats, they NEVER got along. We had to keep them separated for years.

At least Ebony is a unisex name!