"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
David Cottrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norwalk, Ohio
Posts: 1,194
Dear Barbara L, It would seem that you and James are doing everything you can - keep trucking! Yes, prayers are on the way. Lately I've been engaged in trying to help a Ukrainian orphan who is "graduating" in May from her orphanage at age 18, absolutely no family, lived her entire life in an orphanage, crippled hands. What occurred to me is exactly what James has been doing - Praying on his feet, eyes open, on task. That's what I've been doing. This girl is going to make it and so are James and you!
__________________

__________________
David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
We appreciate everyone's prayers. We consistently pray for all our friends and family here at DC. Sometimes when our troubles begin to seem overwhelming, or when kidney stones knock me out of commission, it would be so easy to wallow in self pity. I'll admit, I allow myself a short "wallow" time, but then I stop to think about the many people who are in a situation much worse than ours. When you are deep in despair, it can be hard to count your blessings, but I know that I have had so many blessings in my life, and they just keep coming. I know that when I count my blessings in the midst of despair, I always feel so much better afterwards. So for those of you who are "down in the valley," know that you are not alone, and that we care about you and pray for you all the time.

Barbara
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mission, Texas
Posts: 2,686
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
You have my prayers Barbara. It'll all work out.
__________________
Dina
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
We appreciate everyone's prayers. We consistently pray for all our friends and family here at DC. Sometimes when our troubles begin to seem overwhelming, or when kidney stones knock me out of commission, it would be so easy to wallow in self pity. I'll admit, I allow myself a short "wallow" time, but then I stop to think about the many people who are in a situation much worse than ours. When you are deep in despair, it can be hard to count your blessings, but I know that I have had so many blessings in my life, and they just keep coming. I know that when I count my blessings in the midst of despair, I always feel so much better afterwards. So for those of you who are "down in the valley," know that you are not alone, and that we care about you and pray for you all the time.

Barbara
Whenever I come across someone asking for prayers, I include them at our church. Everyone asking for prayers gets listed on the back of the program, and some here have been listed there as well. I never asked for any myself, and have been listed only once (for the heart surgery).
The Pastor did make a comment in church about how when he came to visit me before the surgery he was expecting me to be worried and depressed, as did the doctors, but instead found me chatting away on my laptop here and joking around with the nurses and doctors.
I was always taught that everything was pre-ordained long before I was born, so I figured worrying wouldn't change anything. I always tell the kids and DW that. Ask for support, ask for help, ask for prayers, but don't worry just trust in God. Then I sit and worry quietly to myself, LOL.
I always thought it worked on DW, until one of the doctors told me that after the surgery, when they had brought me into the ICU and let DW in to see me, she burst into tears. I was surprised, during the entire ordeal she had never shown she was that worried.
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
...Ask for support, ask for help, ask for prayers, but don't worry just trust in God. Then I sit and worry quietly to myself, LOL.
I always thought it worked on DW, until one of the doctors told me that after the surgery, when they had brought me into the ICU and let DW in to see me, she burst into tears. I was surprised, during the entire ordeal she had never shown she was that worried.
I would have been surprised if she had not burst into tears. She loves you and was relieved that you were okay. While I believe we should not sit around worrying about everything, worrying about someone you love at a time like that does not signify lack of faith. We never know when someone's time is up, and when that someone is a person we love, relief (and tears) are natural. She was relieved that your time here was not up, that she was given more time with you. She was able to keep her worries inside throughout the ordeal because you needed her to be strong. And she was strong. When it was over she was able to let go of being strong for awhile, and so the tears (of relief, frustration, and love) were able to come.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #26
Senior Cook
 
KitchenScrapbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 114
Praying for success for you guys! Hope your dreams come true!
__________________
---Kay
www.KitchenScrapbook.com
KitchenScrapbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Thanks Kay!

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
You know you both have my prayers and best wishes!!!
__________________
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #29
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I would have been surprised if she had not burst into tears. She loves you and was relieved that you were okay. While I believe we should not sit around worrying about everything, worrying about someone you love at a time like that does not signify lack of faith. We never know when someone's time is up, and when that someone is a person we love, relief (and tears) are natural. She was relieved that your time here was not up, that she was given more time with you. She was able to keep her worries inside throughout the ordeal because you needed her to be strong. And she was strong. When it was over she was able to let go of being strong for awhile, and so the tears (of relief, frustration, and love) were able to come.

Barbara
I was trying to be light hearted (pun intended), but it didn't work, LOL.

I guess on the one hand I am just trying to teach the kids to find a balance between worrying and fears, which is natural, and faith. At the same time, I am trying to find that same balance.
The weird thing is I would rather have DW show her concern to me, I was still under when she cried which is why the Dr. had to tell me later. Kinda like knowing you are not the only one going thru troubles, its comforting to know you are not alone.
So, here I was making sure everyone saw that I wasn't worried about the surgery and it was no big deal, yet at the same time I wanted DW to show she was worried and concerned.
Feels a little hypocritical and selfish of me.

Anyway, I hijacked the thread too much as it is, we have church tomorrow so we will be praying for you and James.
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #30
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Thanks Stacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
...Anyway, I hijacked the thread too much as it is, we have church tomorrow so we will be praying for you and James.
LOL Normally I can tell when you are being light-hearted!

Thanks for the "pay-back!" My church prayed for you through your surgery and hospital stay.

Barbara
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.