"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Regarding haggis?

Does anyone here know for sure why animal lung is deemed unfit for human consumption in the USA? Know there's a company in Texas that makes haggis sans lung meat.

I'm curious and not trying to initiate a culture war here!

Old 10-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to CiCi Send a message via Yahoo to CiCi
I didn't know it was considered unfit. It might just be a cultural thing but I really don't know.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Senior Cook

From what I've been able to find out online, the sale of lung meat is banned for human consumption by the USDA. Seems it's ok to sell it for dog treats though. Here's a quote from the Wagger's pet food company website: "Beef lung provides healthy proteins to a dog's diet. It is a completely safe, organ meat. Beef lung is also leaner and cleaner then other organ meats, including liver."
Old 10-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I am not sure either. As with most offal, I am sure there can be some inherent risks to eating it, but I would thing that the long simmering and steaming time would ward off an evil do'ers in the food...Hrm, now I am wondering.

And BTW, Haggis is not to bad after a few pints:D
Old 10-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Head Chef

Lung used to be available when I was a kid. Why it is now banned I have no clue.

I would like to know because we love haggis. I know it sounds dreadful but we tried it a number of years ago in Edinburgh, after a wee dram for courage, and found it darn good.

We go back to Scotland every couple of years and always lunch on the stuff.

We introduced my fil (may he rest in peace) to haggis, after a wee dram or courage, and he requested we get some more the next day.

It is quite good and I doubt anyone would object to it if they did not know the fixings before they ate it.

As far as the faux haggis made in the US, we consider it essentially inedible. Liver is substituted for lung and it has a very unpleasant taste to us, and we are liver lovers.

The amount of liver they put in haggis in haggisland is perfect - you really don't taste it. Adding extra to make up for the absence of lung just does not work in our opinion.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
Senior Cook

The price of the USA-made frozen haggis is fifty bucks plus shipping so thanks for the warning, Auntdot.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Here is one reason why you should avoid beef lung:

Calories in Beef Lungs

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, variety meats and by-products, lungs, raw

The cholesterol content of lung is through the roof!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
so is a hot dog, but they are not banned. In comparison, a hot dog is just as bad, if not worse.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for OSCAR MAYER, Wieners (beef franks) [frankfurter, hot dog, hotdog, wiener]
Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Steak
Does anyone here know for sure why animal lung is deemed unfit for human consumption in the USA? Know there's a company in Texas that makes haggis sans lung meat.

I'm curious and not trying to initiate a culture war here!
Let's just say the USDA doesn't know which end is up? Social anthropologists have known for years that cannibalism (one species eating it's own species) causes a form of Spongiform Encephalopathy. You take beef parts and feed them to cattle and you get Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, or mad cow disease. Wow - big suprise there!

Now, some equally enlightened scientists(?) at Texas A&M have supposedly discovered a piece of brain tissue in the lung of a cow - supposedly due to the method of slaughter. Read about it here.

Ah ... I miss those mornings around the table with grandpa ... waiting for nanny to finish up a platter of scrambled eggs, beef brains, country pork sausage, milk gravy, and buttermilk biscuits.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

i haven't been able to find a direct link about banning, but the reason lungs are dangerous for consumption by humans is the risk of getting tuberculosis from infected meat. i don't know if the same bacterium can affect dogs, but i would imagine it does as humans are able to contract it from cows and sheep lungs.

tb is extremely contagious, so i would imagine the u.s. is being overly careful by just banning the lot.

you wouldn't even need to eat infected lungs to contract tb. just butchering an infected animal could release the bacteria into the air, and whammo.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote