"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2005, 07:22 AM   #11
Master Chef

Boy, are we getting old!!! I'll add -- remember when VW advertised a water-tight bug for under $1000. Not kidding, and I'm "only" 50.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
Contest Winner

Exclamation

Remember when you could sit in your car and had lots of room ?

When familys sat down to eat around a table "TOGETHER"and at the "SAME" time!

When a Good time meant Mom pulled out the Board games and we played as a family !

When Dad said lets go fishing or Mom had a piece of penny candy to give you!

When you went across town to play baseball and didn't worry about getting hurt !

And I am only going to be 45 next month !
And last but not lease when men had "WISDOM" and "COMMON SENSE"

Old 08-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I don't remember a lot of prices... but, I remember that when I was 7 years old that my dad owned a gas station.. on saturdays I'd come in and wash all the windows of the cars. I'm sure I did a horrid job!!! At the end of the day I was given 25 cents because I worked so hard. I thought it was a lot of money!! lololol!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:29 PM   #14
Contest Winner

Wink

It was then !

And how about the worst thing to worry about was what color was my next pair of shoes .

When the milkman delivered milk and eggs and juice to your home.

when a Glass Bottle of soda was 12 ozs. and cost .10 and a pack of baseball cards cost 10 cents and had Baseball cards, a round metal token of a player, and a stick of gum !
Old 08-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

This just may be the strangest memory here. I remember going with my mother to the corner meat market to select the chicken she wanted. It was still alive and the butcher killed it and prepared it for cooking. She wore gloves, heels and a hat to do her shopping. I also remember having to cover our windows with heavy drapery or blankets when my baby sister was sick because there was a blackout before the war was over. I suppose I must have been about 3 1/2. I also remember those perms from hades. The cords and rods hung from the sky(not really) but way up and you had to sit there while the heat curled your hair. I didn't get one, but I saw some who did. I'm terribly claustrophobic so I would have had to keep uncurled hair.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #16
Sous Chef

As a kid in the US, I remember when my dad's company had a contract in Waterloo, Iowa at John Deere - we stayed in an ugly apartment that had an orange, naugahyde sofa. I went to a wonderful school for 5th grade that year (Edison Elementary). I had a teacher for Math, Mr. Muller, who was also our gym teacher. If you wore the same colour socks as Mr. Muller (on gym days), you had to do two extra laps around the playground. My mom would do our laundry at a local laundrette, and I'd get 10 cents to go and spend. I'd stand in front of the candy aisle with that coin in my hot, sweaty hand, and contemplate all of my choices. It felt good to have so many possibilities. There was Dairy Queen next door to the supermarket and laundrette that had a contest that summer - you'd buy something and get a scratch off card that maybe would get you some fries or a Sundae. The excitement! Kitty corner from all of that was a Sunoco station where, once a week, a big pink bus from the library would send a bus. I had my own library card, and the first time I climbed up into that bus I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Just the idea of it, all those books on a bus! I read the whole Laura Ingalls Wilder series that summer. Life was good. Oh, but those were wonderful times. We also were in South Africa, where my cousins were buying rocket ice-pops for ONE CENT. Even at the age of 8 I couldn't get over that value for money! My dad had a crew cut, wore aviator sun glasses and striped shirts and we had a blue Chevvy. -Sandyj
Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 AM   #17
Contest Winner

Exclamation

Sandyj you should get together with Barbara she loves Laura Ingalls Wilder. I grew up in Ottumwa Iowa, John Deere Plant there as well. My Father worked for them for 40 years ! And I have been to the Waterloo Tractor Plant many times. Perhaps I seen you once.

Sunbeam Bread was always baking as we went over the bridge and right over the factory the smell was heaven sent!

Saturday Cartoons were the most.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 AM   #18
Head Chef

And roller skating was .50 cents, that included the skete rental

The public swimming pool cost only .25 cents to swim all day

postage was only .03 cents to mail a letter

kites were only .15 cents but i enjoyed making my own kite out of news paper and tree limbs. I just had to buy the string which was .3 cents for a spool.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #19
Contest Winner

Smile

Tweedee, Oh why don't you go fly a Kite !

I am sorry I just had too!
Old 08-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Making 50 cents an hour for babysitting. My kid gets $6 an hour.