"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I was just kidding and making lite of people complaining about threads....should have put a winking eye smiley....As far as tastes go, each to his own. I agree with letting things slide.
Why create problems where there aren't any.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Why create problems where there aren't any.
I assumed people around here knew me well enough to realize that I wasn't serious. I rarely, if ever, state my displeasure on here. Sorry if I caused anybody any discomfort.

On the other hand,

We should be careful not to create an environment that is too sterile. That would be kind of boring, no? Remember freedom of speech? That's kind of a cool thing, I think. Something the free world holds in high regard..The mods are here to deal with aggressive and vulgar posters. The rest is opinion which is within our rights to have and voice.
How practical strangers feel about my culinary tastes is the least of my worries....let people state their opinions. I don't expect everybody to like everything I, or anybody else, makes or likes

Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I assumed people around here knew me well enough to realize that I wasn't serious. I rarely, if ever, state my displeasure on here. Sorry if I caused anybody any discomfort.

On the other hand,

We should be careful not to create an environment that is too sterile. That would be kind of boring, no? Remember freedom of speech? That's kind of a cool thing, I think. Something the free world holds in high regard..The mods are here to deal with aggressive and vulgar posters. The rest is opinion which is within our rights to have and voice.
How practical strangers feel about my culinary tastes is the least of my worries....let people state their opinions. I don't expect everybody to like everything I, or anybody else, makes or likes
I knew you were kidding, Rock

This thread has gotten much more serious than I ever thought it would or intended it to be. Sorry about that. I hope people know, though, that I never said people should not be able to express their opinions or disagree with someone, nor do I think that's how a forum should operate. I'm pretty outspoken and opinionated myself - ask anyone!

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if a mod decided to close this thread
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #44
Everymom

All really a matter of perception isn't it? Take this thread for example. I didn't see anything to get worked up about, but some folks seemed to get a bit ruffled over this. On any given day someone might take offense at something that might pass by completely unnoticed another.

We need to be a bit sensitive to others but at the same time, self aware. If you're finding yourself getting bent out of shape perhaps its not the posts but something else in your life that's upsetting.

I try to think about the person I'm speaking to when I post. I might not use the same language to Addie that I would to buckytom. (Hahahahaha...oh boy do I want to post some stuff here) Hopefully we can all just remember that polite goes a long way.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

It takes a lot to upset me. When someone creates a post that might be offensive, I always try to remember that it is only a point of view.

Remember in the Sauce thread a new poster came on rather strong. Finally after a few responses to other posts, I asked him if one of us had done something to offend him. He was coming across as angry. But no, it was just his personality to come across in a strong manner. He had one point of view and only one. Nothing was going to change his mind. That's okay by me. You don't have to keep your opinion to yourself. And I don't have to agree with you. Nor do I wish to argue with you. We each had our say.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I might not use the same language to Addie that I would to buckytom. (Hahahahaha...oh boy do I want to post some stuff here) Hopefully we can all just remember that polite goes a long way.
lol. you know, the funny part is that i feel a certain sense of sympatico with addie, of which i am the lucky one.

the spirit of this thread seems to be about personal responsibility, both for speaking your mnd without intentionally being rude (unless on a rare occasion it is deserved ), but also not to take things so personally that you report everything you din't like and expect the mods to enforce the rules at every turn. that puts an unnecessary burden upon them, and when they have to act no one is all that happy afterwards.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
All really a matter of perception isn't it? Take this thread for example. I didn't see anything to get worked up about, but some folks seemed to get a bit ruffled over this. On any given day someone might take offense at something that might pass by completely unnoticed another.

We need to be a bit sensitive to others but at the same time, self aware. If you're finding yourself getting bent out of shape perhaps its not the posts but something else in your life that's upsetting.

I try to think about the person I'm speaking to when I post. I might not use the same language to Addie that I would to buckytom. (Hahahahaha...oh boy do I want to post some stuff here) Hopefully we can all just remember that polite goes a long way.
that's entirely right, i agree that polite goes a long way. So, for heaven's sake folks, don't overdo it--use it very sparingly!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

rofl, vit!!!

btw, the long sobs of autumn violins wound my heart with a monotonous langour.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
rofl, vit!!!

btw, the long sobs of autumn violins wound my heart with a monotonous langour.

your languorous ennui can be summarily deactivated by dd's peugeot 007 being double-parked again at walmart. btw, the meter maid commences circling, circling....

bt, we can always count on you to bring the humor when it's needed. however, today you have stooped to eloquence....
(thanks)
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #50
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol. you know, the funny part is that i feel a certain sense of sympatico with addie, of which i am the lucky one.

the spirit of this thread seems to be about personal responsibility, both for speaking your mnd without intentionally being rude (unless on a rare occasion it is deserved ), but also not to take things so personally that you report everything you din't like and expect the mods to enforce the rules at every turn. that puts an unnecessary burden upon them, and when they have to act no one is all that happy afterwards.
Listen brat, you know what I mean. I'm certainly not going to tell Addie to take a flying leap into the goose poop like I would YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
that's entirely right, i agree that polite goes a long way. So, for heaven's sake folks, don't overdo it--use it very sparingly!
I stand by my sig line. And you're a BIGGER brat.