"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Stray Thought...

How do you know when it's time to no longer drive any motorized vehicles?

Where we live, here in the middle of the desert, we see many, many older snow-birds on the road who REALLY shouldn't be.

I am exceedingly grateful that my own Mother knew that when we all moved here to the 'mainland' that she should not attempt to drive here.
It only works if the person involved agrees.

Shrek decided a year ago that he could no longer drive at night and then a few months ago he gave me the car keys.

People need to make that decision while they can still make that decision, otherwise you have a fight on your hands.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
Master Chef

K-Girl, every state has their own rules. I suppose you could check with the local license office or your insurance agent. I bet insurance agents know every angle on how to encourage people to relinquish their driver license.

Every five years, Addie. You have to cough up the $$ every five years. Even those older than 65 renew every five years. If you are 75 you have no choice but to renew in person - no online renewal. You CAN reuse your photo once, so that might be why you think you renew every 10.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
What if I am not ready for Christmas this year. I mean the holiday specifically, tis NOT the season for me this year. Very ambivalent about the whole thing.
Christmas is highly over-rated, IMO. Take the time you need, do what you want, or just say "bah-humbug" and skip Christmas.
Hugs
Old 12-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Christmas is highly over-rated, IMO. Take the time you need, do what you want, or just say "bah-humbug" and skip Christmas.
Hugs
Thanks CWS, it's been a tough couple of months at this homestead. Just not in the Holiday Spirit. On the 27th Shrek and I will be married 30 years, that I feel happy about.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:38 AM   #15
Master Chef

30 years. Wow, you were a child bride.

PF, some years you do what you have to do. December is an inauspicious month in our family because my Dad and Himself's Mom both died in Decembers. My Mom was in ICU her last Christmas. You would think I would want November to last 61 days. But I don't. Hang a star somewhere to remind you there are brighter days ahead. Like the 27th! In case we forget, you and Shrek have a wonderful anniversary.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
K-Girl, every state has their own rules. I suppose you could check with the local license office or your insurance agent. I bet insurance agents know every angle on how to encourage people to relinquish their driver license.

Every five years, Addie. You have to cough up the $$ every five years. Even those older than 65 renew every five years. If you are 75 you have no choice but to renew in person - no online renewal. You CAN reuse your photo once, so that might be why you think you renew every 10.
I don't have a drivers license as I don't drive. I have a State ID. Mine has no expiration date. The new ones do. I don't even look like the photo on it anymore. It was taken more than 20 years ago.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
30 years. Wow, you were a child bride.

PF, some years you do what you have to do. December is an inauspicious month in our family because my Dad and Himself's Mom both died in Decembers. My Mom was in ICU her last Christmas. You would think I would want November to last 61 days. But I don't. Hang a star somewhere to remind you there are brighter days ahead. Like the 27th! In case we forget, you and Shrek have a wonderful anniversary.
LOL and he is my second husband.

Thank you!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Stray Thought...

How do you know when it's time to no longer drive any motorized vehicles?

Where we live, here in the middle of the desert, we see many, many older snow-birds on the road who REALLY shouldn't be.

I am exceedingly grateful that my own Mother knew that when we all moved here to the 'mainland' that she should not attempt to drive here.
I had one grandmother that was very resistant to stop driving, and the other that have it up on her own. Ironically the one that gave it up on her own was the better driver when she gave it up. She sat in her car one day and pretended to go from the gas to the brake to test her reaction time, she realized that it was too slow and didn't want to take the chance of hurting someone. She handed the keys to my cousin that desperately needed a car.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL and he is my second husband.

Thank you!
And you got a second chance at happiness. Happy Anniversary.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm one of those people who look OK fully-clothed. Without clothing, not so much. Bathing suits don't work either, now I need a burkah.