Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
At what temperature do you think it is too cold to go outside and jog, run or exercise? I see the people on the ice skating rink. If it is okay for them, don't you think would be okay for someone to just exercise too? Seems my eyes st art to freeze from the wind when I am out there too long. Or is this excuse? I don't like to exercise indoors. Yet same time I feel that things are st arting to slip, if you know what I mean? This weather is not fair. Too long.

unfortunately I can`t do any of those things anymore, but I rem when I lived in Canada as kid, we got to -42 and STILL had to go to skool :(

the temp was fine, just Skool I didn`t like :)

They say you can get frost bite out in this wind chill in 30 minutes - Iam staying put ! (With a throw on my lap and warm keyboard ! ;)

Oh

Guess when you have habit of moving everyday you fear you will lose it. Almost going on over 2 weeks now and I think the motivation starts to go. I am moving doing things in the house but not at the consistancy that should be. Right now, I am disappointed at my neighbors AGAIN. Their dog is outside AGAIN w/no water, protection, or dog house. Every year this goes on. I would take the dog inside but then t hat makes them mad like I am trying to show them I disapprove. I just wondered about myself going out and I have to see this dog out there who doesn't have a choice. Who is the dummy here? They have another dog they just got, Dalmation. That dog inside. Why? When I feed it some kibbles or braunsweiger the other neighbor tells them I feed the dog. Are these people all brain dead? I am worried about the dog.
thanks for your comments, I will stay inside too. Appreciate it that I do the right thing.

In the Kitchen...

If you have a Mall near by...and it's safe to drive...you could go there and walk...

I would advise to leave cash and credit cards at home...you might see something ...you just gotta have:LOL:

Good Grief, I lost it! ITK, I don't remember where you live. Yesterday I walked at -15 -- which was idiotic (I'd made a charity obligation so walked to do that). Today I stayed in. I'd say about zero is where to draw the line. It is bad for your lungs and throat when it gets too cold and dry. Your sinuses kill you at a certain point. And yes, I want to hate some of my neighbors for the way they leave their "pets" out.

We had some joggers who went out on their lunch hour today to run the 4 mile track we have outdoors. It was -8° with a wind chill of -35°. Whether they made the whole 4 miles, I'm not sure. They seem to love the challenge. I think it's insane.

BC

ITK - I imagine your neighbors tell the dog owner you feed it because maybe they don't normally feed the dog "people food". If you are truly worried call Animal Control.

kitchenelf said:
ITK - I imagine your neighbors tell the dog owner you feed it because maybe they don't normally feed the dog "people food". If you are truly worried call Animal Control.

I would also call Animal Control about your neighbors dog.
I like to go for a walk everyday but if it gets below 25, its too cold for me.:rolleyes:

I dont mind walking in the cold as long as it doesnt go below 10 degrees F. Tonight it is zero, with a wind chill of -40 F so I'm not going to walk! Usually my hubby and I walk the dog together at night, but he said he would take him this time thankfully! It's too cold when your eyes dry up, your eyelashes freeze, and your nostril hairs freeze as well.

In the Kitchen said:
Right now, I am disappointed at my neighbors AGAIN. Their dog is outside AGAIN w/no water, protection, or dog house. Every year this goes on. I would take the dog inside but then t hat makes them mad like I am trying to show them I disapprove. I just wondered about myself going out and I have to see this dog out there who doesn't have a choice. Who is the dummy here? They have another dog they just got, Dalmation. That dog inside. Why? When I feed it some kibbles or braunsweiger the other neighbor tells them I feed the dog. Are these people all brain dead? I am worried about the dog.
This just makes my blood boil. The poor doggies can't get their own shelter, food or water. And shame on the owners who allow one dog inside and not the other one.

I can't tell you how many times I went outside today to break the ice on our outside kitties' water bowl. I also have set up a big box - about the size of an air-conditioner box - that is filled with an old sleeping bag and a 75-watt light bulb. I've also covered the opening with 3-inch wide clear plastic strips on the front of the box so the kitties can come and go when they wish and also allow them to see outside when they're cozy inside, while keeping the weather out.

We have 5 outside cats and it's not unusual to have 3 or 4 of them in their "house" most of the day. I've also made a windbreak-type of tent at the top for those who are shy about going inside the box. The upstairs and downstairs of the house is ALWAYS occupied on inclement/cold days.

I'm probably a big softie, but I always make them a warm supper - out of discarded bones, broth, fat, etc. kept just for them in the refrigerator - every night, which is mixed with their regular food. They also get a couple of ounces of microwave-warmed milk. Yep, Buck says I'm a real mommy.

What can I say? I love my babies. They give me so much unconditional love and happiness, it's the least I can do.

Your ok Katie, not too far gone yet. We have an electric blanket on one half of the bed...last night the cats got that side of the bed.(And a lot of the duvet.) So as not to disturb them we used mainly the summer duvet that we got out and shivered on the other side of the bed until the cats let us move over. and then we sleep like sardines in a tin....cat person ca person, all lined up and squished to get on the (single sized) electric blanket, lol.

Back
Top Bottom