"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
Cook

You can also restrict your searches to certain domains by using “site:xxx”. This comes in handy when you are trying to narrow the results down to pertinent studies or medical information such as “heart site:gov”.

You can use the same technique to search only a specific web site such as “Cherry Pie site:www.discusscooking.com” will give you only results for Cherry Pie from DC.

Another neat thing is when you’re browsing a site (any site), you can highlight any word by dragging the cursor over it with the left mouse button held down. Then right click on the highlighted word and you get options such as Google Search on that highlighted word or even translate it.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgriller View Post
...Another neat thing is when you’re browsing a site (any site), you can highlight any word by dragging the cursor over it with the left mouse button held down. Then right click on the highlighted word and you get options such as Google Search on that highlighted word or even translate it.

Just tried it on this page and it didn't work for me.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That one depends on the browser you are using. I use Opera and have to highlight, right click, then go to Search with..., then google.

Oh and you hitchhikers Guide fans should search for What is the answer to life the universe and everything?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
Executive Chef

One of my best friends works for Google and always tells me these little Googlie things! I must say, if you can get past all the interviews its a great company to work for. :)
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It may depend on your browser and what plugins you have installed. Here at home, my click comes to a Yahoo search instead of a Google search.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
Head Chef

My cousin just got a job offer from Google. He is a smart cookie who graduated with a masters in Mathematics from University of Chicago.

He interviewed and had to wait for 3 weeks because the CEOs review every offer that is made.

He will be working on quality of search performance. They gave him huge mathematical tables to crack during his interview. He also told me that the environment at google is more like a university campus and most people are total geeks.

No wonder they give Microsoft a reason to worry. It's a good search engine and with everything they are doing including Google 411 (if you have not heard about it you should check it out) they are here to stay.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
Senior Cook

For those who don't know

Quote:
GOOG-411 (or Google Voice Local Search) is a tool that allows users to make a business search in any U.S. or Canadian city by calling a toll-free telephone number.
Completely free with no advertising. Info from Wikipedia. Apparently Google are using it to hone their voice recognition software.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
So here I am bored at work again. I am just randomly browsing the internet and started reading about the forbes rich list. Then briefly read about William Gates III. Finally, I looked at the youngest members of the list and found the Google co creators.

Then wiki's Google and found some interesting stuff, for instance:

Did you know the google search box is a calculator. You can type in whatever mathematical problem you want and it will give you the answer.

For example: typing in 100+15 returns the result of 115. Though I am sure it can be used for much more complex calculations.

Also, did you also know that the google search engine can be used for currency conversion. No need to bother finding a specific website to accomplish this, just type in 1 AUD in USD returns a result of 0.9679 (yes, we are happy about that by the way). Also, if you type in currency of Australia, it will give you the currency conversion to USD

But wait, there is more.

If you know the stock exchange abbreviation for any stock just type that into google and get the current quote. Type goog.

Just type in time followed by the city you need to know the time for and it will give you the local time there.

Google can be used as a word dictionary by typing in define (and then the word you want defined) to see the meaning of that word.

It also does weather forecasts, just type in weather (and then a city, state abbreviation eg, weather new york, ny) and it will give you the weather forecast. Or Weather Sydney, Australia

And finally for us foodies. It can convert some measurements. For instance:

Type 500ml in pints to get the conversion.

And will convert celcius to fahrenheit and the other way.

Type 100 celcius in fahrenheit

I just find all this very amazing.
**You can also track the status of flights. For example, just type in Delta Fight 5778.

**You can also Google tracking numbers for UPS, FedEx, and USPS just by entering the number (e.g. 1Z14662R0340419XXX).