"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Sous Chef
I started having problems with mine during my first pregnancy. When I described the attacks everyone would say "Oh, that's normal. It's just the baby putting pressure on your organs." We finally discovered the gallstones when she was laying in her crib shortly after she was born and I had an attack. Strangely enough I was relieved. I'd told my husband I didn't think I could get pregnant again if being doubled over in pain for 2 hours was a normal part of pregnancy!

My worst came after she was born though. I had to wait 6 weeks after delivering before they could do the surgery, so while I was waiting, I passed a stone & it became lodged in the bile duct on its way. After 12 hours of intense pain, turning bright yellow, and 9 hours in the ER, they were planning an emergency surgery when I suddenly started feeling better. They did an ultrasound and found that the stone had finally dislodged itself and passed. I spent the whole time I was waiting for the surgery eating constantly (except the day in the ER, when I couldn't eat anything, of course) because I was nursing and being told I was losing weight way too fast but couldn't eat anything with a substantial amount of fat because it would cause an attack.

Because I'd recently had a baby, they kept me overnight after the surgery. I went home the next day, was off the pain meds by the next day, and back to waiting tables at a very busy restaurant just less than a week after the surgery. I really could have returned even sooner, but we were trying to play it safe. I agree with the others, the surgery really isn't that bad. Of course there are risks associated, but imho a planned surgery is better then a bile backup (which starts basically eating your tissue) because a stone gets stuck on its way out, which will require surgery anyway. I was also told by my Dr that even if you can get rid of the stones, they come back. Good luck with whatever you decide. The same answer isn't right for everyone, so I hope you find the right one for you! (and have few or no attacks in the mean time!)

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
Senior Cook
ACK! I had a very nicely laid out reply w/quotes, but, around 3/4ths of the way through, my computer sent it out into 'net obvilion (I was SOOO mad)!! :(

Anyhow, I sincerely do appreciate everyones helpful advice here. I am now no longer as scared as I was, &, am just very glad to have at least read others experiences, rather than imagine horrors hatched iinside of my own head.

I really do think that I may just request the surgery. Afterall, I now see it as I am the landlord, &, have an unruly tennant. I was so "gung-ho" earlier on to rid myself naturally, but, now realize that this is far beyond me. I give. Gallbladder wins for now. At this point in time, I am really having unnatural thoughts on how to "kill" my organ....I think that after surgery, I will probabally laugh manically. *muahahahaha*

Will let you know what happens at my appt.!

Midnight_Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Merl mate everyone bricks it when they face surgery, I am phobic over needles I faint if I watch them going in. Get the job done and remember you will feel like a new Merl the Girl

I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote