"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I have not watched it but mum has..all 3 seasons and the Christmas specials from both last year and this year....she loves them!

She also likes the new Upstairs Downstairs too

Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I've got season 1 under my belt. Netflix does not have the other seasons available for streaming, but Amazon does. Unfortunately, Amazon does not have the closed captioning available for those either... I tried to watch an episode, but was missing too much of what was being said, especially with the war going on. Fortunately Netflix does have season 2 and 3 available in DVD form. It will just take me longer to catch up, as a season is spread over two or three discs. Plus I will need to watch on the TV rather than on a computer, where I can stream anywhere.
Yep, I'm hooked. It's getting rather predictable though.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Head Chef

Wow! A two-hour opener, chock full of events. My goodness - there was a special on PBS just before the 9 PM show featuring the castle and its real owners. Unfortunately I only found it about 10 minutes before it was over.

Weren't the settings grand? And the ladies looked lovely. Besides the plot goodies, which ranneth over, everything about those two hours was really fine. Worth waiting for.

I appreciate and admire your don't tell policy, Gravy Queen.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but Daisy for one seems so utterly believable.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
Head Chef

I'm curious, indulge me please , are some people really finding the accents hard to understand ? I can understand dialects being difficult , but most of the Downton accents are what we would call quite posh , errr apart from the servants that is but still no real strong dialects in there .
Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I'm curious, indulge me please , are some people really finding the accents hard to understand ? I can understand dialects being difficult , but most of the Downton accents are what we would call quite posh , errr apart from the servants that is but still no real strong dialects in there .
I have a problem with women's and children's voices. The accent compounds the problem. Although the first few minutes of season 2 episode 1, where there was a lot of background noise from WWI and Matthew and Mosley were talking back and forth, were just as bad. It's my hearing more than it is their accent.
A couple days ago I had no problem watching Beatles documentaries and understanding them. Thicker accent, but little background noise and men's voices
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
Head Chef

Ah I see Pac, seriously my husband has a similar hearing problem , it's the frequency of female voices that he struggles with . Ooh I mean frequency as in higher pitched, not how much I talk ...........I think .
Old 01-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Downton Abbey is the only CC program I've watched where I literally could not stop reading and look away for one scene. So so surfing during DA, lol.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
Master Chef

I was so excited with the grand opener last night, that I recorded it and watched it again this morning! I'm glad I did, as I missed some lines due to laughing in the grandmother scenes. As I expected, Shirley MacLaine nearly stole the show for me with her wit and interaction with the always entertaining Maggie Smith. What a dynamic duo they are!
The wedding was a feast for the eyes! My favorite scene though was between Robert and Cora when he told her the shocking news. The enduring true love they have for each other brought me to tears, and I was so proud of her loving reaction.

Gravy Queen, I think the problem of understanding is that most Americans aren't familiar with British TV and are not used to hearing a total dialog in British English. We are kind of trying to translate it in our American minds, if that makes sense. After the first season I got used to it.

Woo Hooo......I can't wait for next week!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

oops, I better stay away from this thread.
I saw the word wedding and am tempted to see if any names were mentioned, but better not...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that will be quite enough. good day, sir.

i said GOOD DAY!
That would be "I say Good Day Sir." And I have always trilled my R's. Having been married to an Englishman, I understand the Queen's English quite clearly. Actually he had more of a Scottish brogue growing up in the Lakes District. He told my kids a lot of stories of his childhood living on Lord Cumberland's estate. His father was choir master.