"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Ah, the stories from home . . . . . . . (I grew up in New England)

Vermont is about 3 primary things, 4 if you count the beautiful landscape scenery.

1. Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream - bar none, including Haagen Daz (sp?) my all time favorite ice cream with some incredibly creative (and tasty) flavors. I don't recall how many they have, but it's more then most ice cream places (maybe not Baskin Robbins' 31 flavors, but close). My favorite is Phish Food. DW's fav is Choc Chip Cookie Dough.

2. Vermont Maple Syrup - tried, true, and all natural. Not the fake stuff commercially produced and combined with high fructrose corn syrup. We're talking all natural maple syrup. Thinner then traditional store bought (due to no syrup) and a bit more tart then the sweetened stuff in the store.

3. Vermont Teddy Bears - available via the 'Net all across the US, and possibly internationally now too. Create, design, and make your own bear, perhaps a DC bear with an apron?

Were I to ever move back to New England, Vermont would be high on my list of places to select as home. Have fun out there!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I would have taken just the claws. You missed the sweetest part of the critter! The blueberry looks dynamite! The hat too, James.
Where was the Maine potato, though? Vermont's a rural state mostly. You'll see alot of land and 'poor' areas if you take secondary roads. But along with the syrup, don't forget the cheese!. Be safe and continue to enjoy.
I didn't really miss the sweetest part, since I had the claws as well as the rest of it. I did have a baked potato, but I don't know where it came from.

We have already planned on the syrup, but I didn't know Vermont was known for cheese. We will have to check that out. I love cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
Ah, the stories from home . . . . . . . (I grew up in New England)

Vermont is about 3 primary things, 4 if you count the beautiful landscape scenery.

1. Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream...

2. Vermont Maple Syrup...

3. Vermont Teddy Bears...

Were I to ever move back to New England, Vermont would be high on my list of places to select as home. Have fun out there!
I love Ben & Jerry's, and I love Vermont Teddy Bears. If we run across either, we will check them out for sure! Because we really do have to go home at some point, lol, we really aren't planning on going too deep into Vermont (will do that someday though). Our two main reasons to go there are to add another state to the list of states where I have been (that will just leave 5--OR, WA, WI, HI, and AK) and Vermont Maple Syrup. I have been telling James how good it is, so he wants to be sure to get plenty while we are there. He got a small bottle of Maine maple syrup last night to compare. lol

We plan to head over to Vermont tomorrow after we check out here, and then we will either head south late tomorrow or stay one night in Vermont and then head south. We have two more planned stops (Washington D.C. for hopefully a couple days, and kitchenelf's!--and maybe a couple quick visits if we can arrange them). Then we are headed home, where we will try to get back into normal life! We have been gone so long that this feels normal now! But I miss my babies so much that I need to get home to them as soon as we can.

Barbara

Old 09-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
Master Chef

i adore yins!!!
luv that lobster. Dad likes to place lobster on thier kitchen floor so my kitties bat at 'em!!! mean 'ol Dad.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I didn't really miss the sweetest part, since I had the claws as well as the rest of it. I did have a baked potato, but I don't know where it came from.

We have already planned on the syrup, but I didn't know Vermont was known for cheese. We will have to check that out. I love cheese!

Barbara
Glad to hear I'm not drooling for nothing - about the claws.
VERMONT CHEDDAR!!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:50 PM   #15
Master Chef

sounds like a great trip, Barbs, you should be banned for allowing people to download all those yummy pictures---I hope that I don't kill my computer with me drooling over it!!!!!!!!!! I had to really laugh at the hokey pokey description of your luxurious shower.........DH and I are doing that with ours now.........oh, the tub/shower is big enough it's just that the shower goes from a comfortable warm........to HOT and then to COLD........you hokey pokey alright.......so much fun trying to shampoo long hair......enjoy Vermont!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I forgot about Vermont Cheddar. Better then Wisconsin Cheddar, IMHO. Both are good, so I can tolerate living here, but oh for some good Vermont Cheddar.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
Head Chef

James I love the hat. Where did you find such a nice had?? PM me the cost and I might have to buy one.