The Price of Magazines!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one I REALLY begrudge the price is Southern Living--$4.95 AND it is 95% advertising!!
The other thing that bugs me about magazines is the subscription "rate".
GET A YEAR'S SUBSCRIPTION--12 ISSUES--FOR $14.95 (and $3 handling charge).
What is up with a "handling charge" on a subscription!! Just say the sub is $17.95!!

Candocook said:
Costco has a big discount on magazines if you can get there.

Thanks for the tip but the selection at our Costco is limited in my areas of interest.

Before I came back to the states in December, I was excited to find a Reader's Digest in Kazakhstan until I computed the price in dollars (they use the tenge) and was shocked to discover that it was nearly $15!!! Anything in English is very expensive there. Of course I put it back.

Andy M. said:
Thanks for the tip but the selection at our Costco is limited in my areas of interest.

i know, i looked too andy. :cool:

i did manage to pick up the latest copy of bassmaster. if you put your thumb over the "b"...:rolleyes:

nevermind, it's still about a bunch of good ol' boys; and boats, lures, camouflage clothing, and beer.

oh yeah, and fishing.

Reminds me of the old proverb:

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

I compeletly agree with you............they are over the top with cost anymore and it'll just increase as everything does. I haven't subscribed to any for some time now but when I did I waited until the company really had a great deal. I do still occasionally pick up a few magazines at the stand but not often.
I have in the past just went to the local library on a rainy or lazy day and read the issues that interested me. Mainly because most magazines I generally only found a few things of interest to me that I wanted to recreate....whether it be a recipe, craft, decorating, etc..... So I'd always take a notebook and paper to copy down the recipes and jot down other things of interest. If I needed a photo then I'd just pay the copy fee of 10 cents.....and rarely did I have to do this as I was mostly writing stuff down.
Now one thing I do do is......if I go to a rummage sale or such and see cooking or decorating magazines for 10 cents....sometimes 25 cents.....I'll pick up the ones that grab my interest and almost always I find something in them well worth that dime or quarter ;)

I sympathise! this quarter light-years edition of `PlayBeing` has gone up a staggering 25,000 Zartogs to a mind blowing 25,001 Zartogs!
needless to say, I have all tentacles writing letters in Protest. :))

I am finding that I go onto the internet more and more for recipes. Much as I love my enormous collections of cook books and magazines, you can find a recipe for just about anything you could dream of on the net.

I was shocked the last time I was going to buy a mag off the rack. I put it back, it wasn't worth it. I'm so tired of being disappointed after buying a magazine, or subscribing to one, to find that the contents don't meet my expectations.

Also, I use to have them floating around the house causing more clutter than I needed. I like the idea of going to the public library to read what interests me. As a taxpayer, I might as well get my money's worth at the library!

People Magazine and other rags have gotten ridiculous these days in what they think the public wants to read---it's the same old same old---Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Jennifer L., etc. vomitus emitus. Either I'm getting older and crankier or the gene pool is getting a lot more polluted. Ok, enough of the gag reflex.

Back
Top Bottom