Tipping when 20% tip is already (and openly) added to the bill.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So here's another interesting restaurant story we had while away. We went to another restaurant we like a lot. When we sat down, there was a message at each table stating something like " A 20% service fee will be added to each bill so the waiting staff could earn a decent wage. Tipping is neither expected, nor required".
Now, I get it, but it puts me in an awkward situation. I don want to stiff anyone, and according to that message, I wouldn't be, but I feel like I am. I know some people don't tip, but I do and I usually tip well, even more than the automatic %20. The food was good, the service was good and the waiter was nice. We paid by credit card, and at first I was going to leave a little extra n cash on the table. All I had was large bills, and didn't want to ask them to break it for smaller ones so I could leave a little extra ( as I already was forced into a %20 surcharge).
After thinking about it, we just left. Part of me feels bad, and I almost went back today ( we ate there yesterday) to tap the guy with a few extra bucks, but the more I thought about it, the more annoyed I was. It just rubbed me the wrong way. I felt like I was being punished because of other peoples past actions. Sure, they dont know in advance who will and wont leave a tip, and they don't want their staff to get screwed. I get it. They also didn't call it a 'tip', but some kind of surcharge or whatever. I don't want to have any bad feelings about the place, as we like it, and will go back, but its just a strange, awkward way to make a customer feel.

Thoughts ?

Which is worse, adding a 20% service fee or raising the menu prices by 20%? 🤔

I would leave a cash tip if I was WoWed by the service.

Beyond that I wouldn’t worry about it. If the policy is unfair to the staff or the customers they will move on to other restaurants and the business will pay the price for its business practices.

Last edited:
Heck, just out of curiosity, going back, I would ask a waiter (if I recognized them from earlier times) if the automatic tipping surcharge is working for them. I would also try not to embarrass the staff by doing so - but, golly, I sure would like to know if it works.
You can't very well ask management and likely the staff won't answer, but maybe...?

I'm automatically turned off when I am 'required' to do something that was or should be optional. My first reaction was that I'd get up and leave. (grumpy old man)

I consider 20% a good tip. I remember when 15% was a good tip. I've read here and in other places that some people tip 25%. This is getting out of control. I would accept paying more so servers can be paid a living wage and not have to depend on the kindness of strangers.

Of course, some people would then add a tip regardless. Then that would become the norm . . .

I certainly hope so GG. A living wage is not too much to ask. I know the restaurant business is tough but I also think that they make it hard on themselves too. Too much variety in some menu s make it difficult to cope- on both the customer and especially the establishment. They want to provide the best but cannot if they must provide for too many venues. In order to ut corners it is the servers who get cut - and then the customer must not only pay for the food but also the service.
If you are dining out for pleasure - fine, you pay for what you get. But if you travel and dine out of necessity - different matter. IMHO

I think there's a movement in the restaurant industry to try to eliminate the custom of tipping in favor of just paying a living wage, which I believe would be simpler and more fair to everyone. Young people are leading the way.
I've read about some restaurateurs campaigning for this. It sure would eliminate a lot of math anxiety among restaurant patrons.

I would totally support raising prices to eliminate the practice of tipping. I do get annoyed when I go to the counter, order, and pick up my to-go order but the tip jar is there along with the tip line on the receipt. I see it at Starbucks, Fast Food places, etc. During the pandemic, I was very liberal in tipping. Now, I've stopped doing this unless I dine in with someone tending to my table. It's awkward when those with who I'm with tips 20% or more. Eh, I'm likely needing to move to the petty vents thread. ;)

It was just strange, cause I felt like it put me in an awkward situation. Also, I went to the website, and there is no mention of it there, so someone who goes to the website to check out the food and their prices, is going to be caught by surprise when they find out they're paying %20 more than what is listed ( online and on the menu). It was in full view, but not mentioned. I think it would have been much cleaner ig the prices were jus higher. A tip is an optional thing that reflects the service, and overall dining experience (once the meal is complete). There is no doubt in my mind that the staff will judge the patron if they don't leave anything extra. Just human nature. I just hope the full %20 is going to the wait staff, and not being skimmed off to the establishment itself.

We went out this past week to what would be considered a high end Mexican restaurant. The check had the usual list of tip percentages that is on nearly every check we get now, but it also had in slightly bigger lettering "cash tips are very appreciated." That was a new one on me.

Don't misunderstand, I usually tip in cash, carrying about $20 broken down into $5s and $1s, unless we go someplace expensive. I've just never had a restaurant request cash tips.

Last edited:
We went out this past week to what would be considered a high end Mexican restaurant. The check had the usual list of tip percentages that is on nearly every check we get now, but it also had in slightly bigger lettering "cash tips are very appreciated." That was a new one on me.

Don't misunderstand, I usually tip in cash, carrying about $20 broken down into $5s and $1s, unless we go someplace expensive. I've just never had a restaurant request cash tips.
I've never seen that. I rarely ever carry cash, so the tip gets added to the bill.

It's much easier to avoid paying income taxes when you get paid in cash.

It's much easier to avoid paying income taxes when you get paid in cash.
IMO that’s the best reason for eliminating tips and raising wages or including tips in the total bill.

Over the years I’ve known several people in the hospitality business that lived well but retired in poverty because they never declared enough income to build decent social security or retirement benefits.

What upsets me is when I go to get a pickup order and a 20% tip is already added to the total. A tip is for the wait staff, no?
ALSO, now EVERYONE is charging you XX% for using a debit or credit card. EVEN my eye doctor!!
When I get something delivered, I get the % for using a card PLUS a fuel fee on top of a tip.

Last edited:
In this area it’s becoming more and more common for restaurants to charge a service fee on take out orders or for diners that request a doggy bag for leftovers to cover the cost of packaging.

I get it but it’s annoying to be nickeled and dimed.

I feel the same when a nice restaurant charges extra for additional sour cream, butter, etc..

I would much rather have them increase the menu prices to cover these additional costs.

We don't use any credit cards for places that charge us to use them. I can't remember the last time we ate out. Maybe a couple years ago, maybe once a year, or twice. We carry food when we travel and we plan ahead for staying at hotels or relatives homes, or we cook for them. I don't miss it and I would miss it even less if the wait staff was disgruntled or managers struggling. I don't see any point in inviting frustration into our lives.

I know that our choices are not for everyone. It can be fun to not have to cook or clean our meals given the right atmosphere. Sometimes restaurants make foods that are more complicated or time consuming than we might want to do in our own kitchens, I hear that. Trying new ethnic foods we've never tried before can open up new culinary experiences for us. Sometimes trying to recreate some of the new or more complicated dishes in our own kitchens is the adventure.

I don't understand a place charging a service fee for take out, whether or not it is an inside eatery or not. Have no idea the cost to supply cartons for take out but it can't be more than waitstaff salary nor dishwashing costs. To my way of figuring it - it's a win - win for the restaurant.
For a 'nice' restaurant to charge for extra butter, etc. something is seriously wrong with their calculations. That expense should have already been written into the costs. and really, how many diners actually order extra of anything. Maybe 3 or 4 max in an evenings sitting?

I think the above 2 situations are just plain gauging the public.
We all know food prices have risen. We see it for ourselves in the grocers but for restaurants to try to hide the costs with surcharges? I say fiddle faddle!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom