Adding flavor to steamed veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
lately i've been steaming a lot of broccoli and cauliflower.
after steaming i put them in 1.5 cup of boiling water in a pot with 2.5 tablespoons of msg and 1/2 tablespoon for table salt with some oil and boil.
i then and the vegetables and cook for a minute and a half in this liquid.
it gives it a wonderful taste..

but maybe is there a further way to enhance the flavor of the vegetables after boiling them in the liquid?

let me know.

i want it healthy tho.....

Do you have an actual steamer, that keeps the vegetable above the steaming water? They are less waterlogged that way.

I personally like vegetables JUST cooked, or a little under cooked with a little texture left. A little AC vinegar and salt (or no-salt substitute), or plain. While I'm happy with mostly plain mr bliss likes sauces, ketchup, or a glaze.

There are sauces, like sweet and savory, or a plum sauce, just a little. Something like brussel sprouts I'll steam and then bake with a honey balsamic vinegar glaze. Squash is good with the honey balsamic vinegar glaze too. (or butter sugar salt and pepper) A simple 'sauce' is to mix some orange concentrate with dijon mustard and a little salt. Or thin down some fruit puree/jam with some lemon or vinegar, cook to thicken or leave it thin.

Try a curry or gravy. Variety, the spice of life.

if i won't boil them and just steam them they will not have much flavor [i boil in msg with water as i said].
just like in some chinsese restaurant that i visited.

but maybe i will also try the other suggested ideas.

especially the curried veggies

if i won't boil them and just steam them they will not have much flavor [i boil in msg with water as i said].

If I want really flavorful veggies, I grill (US grill) or roast them. A drizzle of oil and some seasonings before grilling/roasting.

CD

Sometimes I'll do a a quick boil/ Blanch in a flavored brother instead of just water. Ill usually then save the flavored broth to use as a base for a vegetable soup in the future.

Another is after they are done boiling/ steaming ( while still hot), drain then toss them in a little butter salt and pepper. You dont need a lot of butter, just enough to coat the veggies and give them flavor.

- Like Bliss mentioned, I sometimes do brussle sprouts ( after they have cooked), tossed with a little balsamic , honey ( and I toss butte in too) and sometimes top with toasted pine nuts sprinkled on.

- Lemon/ garlic sauce works well with string beans

So why steam them? Boiling will cook them.

If I want really flavorful veggies, I grill (US grill) or roast them. A drizzle of oil and some seasonings before grilling/roasting.

CD
Yeah, I find that roasting is an excellent way to have a lot of flavour in the veggies. You don't lose any of the flavour to the water or to steam. I can't remember the last time I steamed a veggie and that was a long time after I quit boiling them. I make an exception to the "not boiling rule" for potatoes and sunroots (Jerusalem artichokes).

that's a point. i was just excited about my my newly purchased bamboo steamer
LOL - that's the way it goes sometimes - I hear you!
Now you have to learn a new way of cooking. You could probably just add your MSG to the steaming water. Or add it to some melted butter or to what ever kind of addition you decide to go with, to coat after.
You really don't need to boil them first at all. I would be afraid of overcooking them and have them turn to mush. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom