The Thankfulness Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie, I'm so glad you are on the downhill side and had no major effects from the chemo. More Hugs and Love from Wyoming.

WOW Katie. I had no idea you had to deal with so much in the way of physical problems. I am truly glad all that is behind you and you are on the mend. You'll be back on that motorcycle before you know it.

Hoping you get back on Ol' Blue again soon, Katie! Hugs from here along the river!

I am thankful that we have the health, energy, and financial resources to spend some time traveling. This is a beautiful country and I'm glad we can drive through it on our way to and from our annual vacation. What fun it is to see new places and revisit old ones.

Now if Himself snored just a little less, and I slept just a little harder, we might consider "working" as RV transporters. Nothing like moving an RV from one place to another on someone else's dime! Alas, Himself sounds like a herd of buffalo stampeding, and I sleep like a Mom with a newborn. *sigh*

Wow Katie, congratulations for your determination. Lately I've been meeting people with the most amazing determination to overcome that I'm constantly humbled.

I'll start with my daughter who in her early 40's had her lumpectomy. She had the operation done during her holidays and went back to work right after. She went for her treatments during her lunch hour.

Right after these treatments she took a 3 year course and got her certificate as a Registered Message Therapist. She does not drive a car but used her bike to get to and from her new job. This entails packing up and bringing her own sheets to and from. Winters in Edmonton are pretty nasty so bus trips, which took longer due to their routes were necessary. She has now opened her own office and is doing quite well.

It is still a struggle to make ends meet but getting better all the time. She went her 5+ years free but is now again waiting results of retests for some previous tests not giving good answers.

Also a fierce Honey Badger for her family, sitting beside any hospitalized child or sister, checking every step of treatment along the way. Felt sorry for any staff who did not perform their jobs to her satisfaction! But was also a generous volunteer helping them when she could - in the end they all loved her being there.

Her professor in college allowed her to write her exams early as she was due with her 2nd child on the same date.

She was a premie. Born during the 1st week of my 7th month at 1.5 lbs. Everything was on a 3 X basis. If she survived the first 3 hours then the first 3 months her chances increased, if she survived the next 3 months, then she was pretty much home free. It was almost 4 years before we were able to determine she had 50-60% hearing loss. Hearing-aids now cost $4000 each and are not covered by Medicare and limited insurance companies cover them.

You guys were born as fighters! You both inspire me.
I am thankful for your story and am thankful to have met you. ((hugs))

Thankful for the books that help me up when I'm down. Just got done reading the broken american male - felt soo good after reading that!

I am thankful that my Mom, who has always been my hero, has proven her doctor wrong and is still with us (the "prediction" was that she had 3-5 months to live when released from hospital at the end of January 2016 and that she would lose all of her cognitive function within 3 months. The doctor strongly recommended that my brother and I make haste to get our butts out to MN if we wanted her to know who we were and say our good-byes). My brother never made it, he died April 12th suddenly. That she sprinkled the Spritz cookies with the colored sugar on Tuesday is all I could ever have wanted for Christmas. That is a memory that will be forever etched on my heart. And yes, she knows my name and calls for me when she doesn't like what the morning caregiver has picked out for her to wear!!! I am so thankful that I have both of my parents still alive. I don't know how I could get through learning to live without my brother without them. He was supposed to be here with me dealing with our parents' declining health. The thought that I would have to do this alone, never crossed my mind.

A big (((HUG))) to you, CW. It's amazing how often doctors are wrong, and I'm glad you're Mom is one of those people who make their educated guesses look silly. Love has a way of making someone much more resilient than medical people deduct.

Our neighbor's Mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, was given less than six months to live. She said she had grandkids to see grow up and she wasn't going anywhere. Mike's Mom lived 15 years past her predicted death.

I hope your Mom gives the doctors the raspberries when she decides that time's up. ;)

More {{{hugs}}} for you, CWS. You're doing a wonderful job helping your parents, despite your sad loss.

Thanks, CG and Dawg, this is the hardest thing, so far, I've ever had to do. I would be lost without my parents. I really wish he would not go out at 1:30 a.m. and shovel it stops snowing. He is 85!!!! Has CHF!!! What does he think he is doing shoveling!!!!

I am thankful for Mr Perfect and mr Right, two people who loves me dearly, gets along great, love each other company. It is just so nice to be loved and to love.

Thanks, CG and Dawg, this is the hardest thing, so far, I've ever had to do. I would be lost without my parents. I really wish he would not go out at 1:30 a.m. and shovel it stops snowing. He is 85!!!! Has CHF!!! What does he think he is doing shoveling!!!!

Trying desperately like the rest of us. Holding off what he conceives to be old age.

I know CWS. I too drive my kids crazy doing things I know I can do and they think I shouldn't be. Like putting one foot each on each side of the tub so I can take down the dirty and put back the clean shower curtain. I am just to lazy to drag or ask someone to bring my stool into the bathroom. (Or just plain stubborn!

Unless he has a heart condition, or it is frostbite weather, let him do what he considers his contribution. He may not say it, but you can bet he is ever so grateful to you for all you are doing. Specially for the care you are giving to his wife. I know I am. Unlike a lot of parents, I have great kids. :clap::clap: And so do your parents. :flowers:

It has been more than 1 year since my Mom came home from the hospital. The dr. told me 3-5 mos. She's proved him wrong. Her 85th b'day is coming up--March 16th (St. Urho's day). I asked her what she wanted for her b'day dinner--LOW walleye from Birch Beach. Good thing that my godfather is my Mom's godson (also my cousin). So I gave him a call and ordered up some walleye. His reply was "I guess I better go fishing!" I told him if he can send it on the bus or UPS that would work. "Nah, I think I can drive the 2 hours to hand deliver it to my favorite auntie and we can have a walleye feast." Gotta love family. My cousins, my Dad, and my uncle have been sooooooo good to me since my brother passed away. They have wrapped me in a cocoon of familial love. And my friends have been there too, but gosh darn, love, love my extended family. Little things mean a lot.

It has been more than 1 year since my Mom came home from the hospital. The dr. told me 3-5 mos. She's proved him wrong. Her 85th b'day is coming up--March 16th (St. Urho's day). I asked her what she wanted for her b'day dinner--LOW walleye from Birch Beach. Good thing that my godfather is my Mom's godson (also my cousin). So I gave him a call and ordered up some walleye. His reply was "I guess I better go fishing!" I told him if he can send it on the bus or UPS that would work. "Nah, I think I can drive the 2 hours to hand deliver it to my favorite auntie and we can have a walleye feast." Gotta love family. My cousins, my Dad, and my uncle have been sooooooo good to me since my brother passed away. They have wrapped me in a cocoon of familial love. And my friends have been there too, but gosh darn, love, love my extended family. Little things mean a lot.

You know CWS, I always have told my kids, "Family First". Pirate always tells his kids, You have several good friends, maybe today, maybe not. And that includes a spouse. But you only have "one family ".

I am so glad you are going to make your mother so happy. At her age, she deserves it. And you get some of that too.

You know CWS, I always have told my kids, "Family First". Pirate always tells his kids, You have several good friends, maybe today, maybe not. And that includes a spouse. But you only have "one family ".

I am so glad you are going to make your mother so happy. At her age, she deserves it. And you get some of that too.
I don't know that I will make her happy, but I do know that she is my east, my west, my north, my south. She is my everything. She makes me laugh every day. I love her to the moon and back.

Although, tonight when I was transferring her to bed, I told her to hang on tight, that I would never let her go. And she told me that she'd never let me go, either. Love her so.

Last edited:
...Gotta love family. My cousins, my Dad, and my uncle have been sooooooo good to me since my brother passed away. They have wrapped me in a cocoon of familial love. And my friends have been there too, but gosh darn, love, love my extended family. Little things mean a lot.
CW, your post made me cry - in a good way. You certainly are blessed. You and your family deserve a
hug3-smiley.gif

I don't know that I will make her happy, but I do know that she is my east, my west, my north, my south. She is my everything. She makes me laugh every day. I love her to the moon and back.

Although, tonight when I was transferring her to bed, I told her to hang on tight, that I would never let her go. And she told me that she'd never let me go, either. Love her so.

You know CWS, in her clearest moments, she will remember all that you do for her. She may not express it all the time, but you can bet she loves you right back as much as you love her. Without saying it, she is aware of just how much you love her and that everything you do for her is done with love. And for that you definitely deserve the "Best Daughter of the Year" award.

For those who no longer have their mother I know that all of them are looking down and remember all the things their children did for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom