This Is Where I'm From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right?!

Love the music in Hawaii, but I just plain love music.

DUKE'S on Sunday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPOaxp295SY

Did you also get to see Henry Kapono?

We went this last trip home and I swear I took my own video, but I can't find it now, oh well, it's around somewhere.

Those surf boards are re-arranged for time to time, I thought that one shot was MONEY!!

Miss home … :wub:

Here’s my snap of them :)

IMG_4094.JPG

Right?!

Love the music in Hawaii, but I just plain love music.

DUKE'S on Sunday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPOaxp295SY

Did you also get to see Henry Kapono?

We went this last trip home and I swear I took my own video, but I can't find it now, oh well, it's around somewhere.

Those surf boards are re-arranged for time to time, I thought that one shot was MONEY!!

Miss home … :wub:

Miss the sunsets there too. Took pics like this every night!!!!

IMG_4100.JPG

Couple other snaps while there..

IMG_4098.JPGIMG_4097.JPGIMG_4096.JPGIMG_4095.JPG

Beautiful pics, all!

Sunset a couple of evenings ago, from my front yard in the SoCal high desert. :wub:

Attachments

• sunset feb22, 2020.jpg
    sunset feb22, 2020.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 122
I live where Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia meet. The Ohio Valley and heart of Appalachia. I refer to myself as an Appalachian-American. :-p

What's it look like. It is most wonderful in the summer when everything is green and in leaf, or in winter when covered in snow. The rest of the time it looks like mud. (brown-gray)

Sunset on the Ohio River (River Boat loaded with Coal)

15762098645_e2fe950c1f_b.jpg

Winter Snow (starts as rain, turns to snow and snow coats everything)

21150083169_6b3e2264f5_h.jpg

Springtime and the Humidity is 90%+ here

lots-of-places-to-stop.jpg

The Cable Suspension Bridge near where I live in the evening from a boat

570ec2ad9bb0a6d8327f1a5574b5fbf7.jpg

These are the pretty images of this area, Appalachia, that many here would like the world to see.

But if you were to only watch the opening scenes of the movie...."The People vs Larry Flynt" (his childhood in the hills of eastern Kentucky) you would get a fairly accurate view of what it would have looked like for so many people living in this region in the 1950's. (where these photos are taken)

Well, it's 6 am, it's now raining and haven't had power since about 3:30 am. (love my generac!) It's 33 f, we were waiting to see if we got rain or 10 inches of snow.

Took these pictures yesterday... told my son I was getting ready to ride the tunnel on my snowboard... who needs Hawaii? :rolleyes:

again, sorry about the sideways but from the way I load them it is too complicated to try and turn...

Attachments

• 20200226_104956.jpg
    20200226_104956.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200226_105037.jpg
    20200226_105037.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200226_105112.jpg
    20200226_105112.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 103
I know that I've made mention in the past that I attended a school that is for children of Hawaiian descent.
Once a year, they organize what's called Song Contest for the High School students.
We compete in a cappella Hawaiian Language Song, by graduating year or "Class of 20XX".
Girls, Boys and Combined Class.

This year will be the 100th Song Contest, WOW!!
It will take place in Honolulu Hawaii on March 20 at 7pm HST.
I wanted to share the link if anyone is interested in watching it streamed live here:
https://www.ksbe.edu/songcontest/2020/
I'm not sure how much of this I'll be able to stay awake for, but I think I read somewhere that this will be re-broadcast several times, so...

I suppose I should put some picture sup of my neighborhood, and area. It's truly a gorgeous place to live, just very few good employment prospects. I used tohabe gorgeous pictures of the fall colors. Don't know what happened to them. But here's a link of some U.P. fall colors - https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS893US893&sxsrf=ALeKk03Zhh7QzZ4ddUnGAZ9iTLW4qAKyhQ:1600268649941&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=U.P.+Fall+colors&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirx7Kj-e3rAhVDHM0KHdMOBu8QsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1366&bih=625#imgrc=Jm_yRMvIXiJAwM

Some of those fall color pictures pictures look like my neighborhood.

and a link for the Soo Locks - https://www.saultstemarie.com/attractions/soo-locks/

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• DSCF0197.jpg
    DSCF0197.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Christmamas07_2.jpg
    Christmamas07_2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 72
  • Deer.jpg
    Deer.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0069.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 66
  • FH000005.jpg
    FH000005.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Photo Jun 30, 4 04 38.jpg
    Photo Jun 30, 4 04 38.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Pretty Steelhead.jpg
    Pretty Steelhead.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0034.jpg
    DSCF0034.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0066.jpg
    DSCF0066.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 71
  • SpringDove.jpg
    SpringDove.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0103.jpg
    DSCF0103.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2006 Chili Cookoff Team2.jpg
    2006 Chili Cookoff Team2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Lisa Kayaking 2.jpg
    Lisa Kayaking 2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Here is where Sir Loin of Beef originated:

Ul18dTXS31b-Mr42fz_6mVN4NZv9yEk3Am9zY_NlaXExWWweMA_D6weHrfikPR7Ao9ex28I12dsl1k8Ii7orUrpuSp-_QeCoxizWt9haw3q0E72u4szl_L7aFOT9uXc.jpg

WELCOME TO WESTERN NEW YORK!
Where the only kind of weather they have is inclement.

Last edited:
Hawaii 066.JPG

I took this photo back in May 2015 at The Hilton Hawaiian Village, while seated at The Great Lawn... what a venue. We were there for a May Day Concert and it was fantastic. It was a gorgeous evening, loads of different foods and drink stalls for purchase... just a treat!

I know that Discuss Cooking has gained alot of new members, and I sure would like to see and hear about where you're from.

Hawaii is on my list of places I want to visit. It is such a long way from the UK though, which makes it hugely expensive. (Other places in the US that I still want to see are Boston, San Francisco and I would love to fly in a helicopter over the Grand Canyon.)

Hawaii is on my list of places I want to visit. It is such a long way from the UK though, which makes it hugely expensive. (Other places in the US that I still want to see are Boston, San Francisco and I would love to fly in a helicopter over the Grand Canyon.)

We don't live very far from the South Rim of The Grand Canyon and go there often.

IMG_3978.jpg

We'll take a picnic lunch and just sit in awe at this glorious place.

Katy, Hawaii is nothing to sneeze at either, but yes, spendy.
Not just the flight but then once you get there... oye!
Right now you can't even get a rental car so there's that...
We were going to go this past Summer, but, NO!

We don't live very far from the South Rim of The Grand Canyon and go there often.

View attachment 49192

We'll take a picnic lunch and just sit in awe at this glorious place.

Katy, Hawaii is nothing to sneeze at either, but yes, spendy.
Not just the flight but then once you get there... oye!
Right now you can't even get a rental car so there's that...
We were going to go this past Summer, but, NO!

The Grand Canyon is so well named! Such a spectacular looking place. I have been to southern Arizona three times as I have a friend who lives in Tucson. The difference between AZ and North Hampshire in the UK is huge! I think the main thing is the proliferation of cacti in AZ -v- trees/grass/general greenery in Hampshire. I appreciate both!

My main interest in Hawaii is the volcanoes. I have been fascinated by them since childhood. Though obviously I am conscious that Kilauea has been particularly active recently and people have lost their homes.

Katy, if you are interested in volcanoes, have you been to Iceland? They have the same kind of "gentle volcanoes" that Hawaii has. Those are the only two places that do.

Katy, if you are interested in volcanoes, have you been to Iceland? They have the same kind of "gentle volcanoes" that Hawaii has. Those are the only two places that do.

I guess I would rather go somewhere warm Taxy! :LOL:

But seriously, yes, I could go somewhere nearer for sure. Italy has Etna and Vesuvius which I could visit too. But as a child at school we did a project on volcanoes, where I first found out about Kilauea and ever since I have been absolutely determined to visit. It's a bucket-list thing.

Last edited:
The Grand Canyon is so well named! Such a spectacular looking place. I have been to southern Arizona three times as I have a friend who lives in Tucson. The difference between AZ and North Hampshire in the UK is huge! I think the main thing is the proliferation of cacti in AZ -v- trees/grass/general greenery in Hampshire. I appreciate both!

My main interest in Hawaii is the volcanoes. I have been fascinated by them since childhood. Though obviously I am conscious that Kilauea has been particularly active recently and people have lost their homes.

Katy, we use to live in the Tucson area and I agree, the Cacti is prolific there. Now we live in Northern Arizona and it is vastly different! We're above mile high so the green is abundant! That's one the reasons we moved, we were tired of the "desert-y environment" not to mention the heat!

As to Hawaii's volcanoes, Madam Pele has been active pretty continuously since 1983 I think...
She must be really p.o.'d! :ohmy:
My family is originally from The Big Island and I have spent alot of time there. GORGEOUS! I've seen many lava fountains and flows over the years.

Katy, we use to live in the Tucson area and I agree, the Cacti is prolific there. Now we live in Northern Arizona and it is vastly different! We're above mile high so the green is abundant! That's one the reasons we moved, we were tired of the "desert-y environment" not to mention the heat!

As to Hawaii's volcanoes, Madam Pele has been active pretty continuously since 1983 I think...
She must be really p.o.'d! :ohmy:
My family is originally from The Big Island and I have spent alot of time there. GORGEOUS! I've seen many lava fountains and flows over the years.

Volcanoes are both productive and destructive. I am utterly fascinated by them. To see lava flow in real life is a dream to me. You are very lucky! (But not if your home was being destroyed.)

To me, anything that is not my "normal" is interesting. So my friend, who lives in Tucson, is not at all interested in cacti. And to be fair, my visits have proved that although very interesting, it would be difficult to live in such a dry and hot climate. (My "normal" in Britain is a lot of rain and no major highs or lows of temperature.)

Back
Top Bottom