"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

This is a pretty good representation of what it's like here in Portsmouth, Virginia. It's a small city on the Elizabeth River near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard was established in 1800; that's where that aircraft carrier, the Harry S Truman, is going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portsmouth-downtown.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	21604  

Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
Master Chef

Just to expand (brag) a little about my beloved California. Sitting where I do, I don't think there's anywhere else in the country where I could visit the ocean, mountains and desert in the same day. I often bless my parents wisdom for settling right here in this georgous piece of paradise, Ventura County, Ca.

I too am loving all the pictures.....more, more, more!!!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
All I can say is I need to get out of LA. I'd like to eventually live off grid somewhere in the mountains in cooler climate.
I hear you there, RF. The only thing I appreciate about LA is it has a big airport.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #24
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
though I am from Bermuda, I miss living on O'ahu, not a day goes by where I don't think about it. Hawai'i is the only place I've live in the U.S.A. that felt like another country. Bermuda aint' too shabby either, but Hawai'i is just such a feast for the senses.

Living in Northern Va, just outside of D.C. is fun, but I am a beach bum at heart, and there are NO beaches here.

Here are some of my shots from my time in the 808

From Pali lookout

the mokes

The view from the condo (ala moana and Hobron)

Rabbit island

Temple Valley

Pearl harbor

and more. . .
Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #25
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
WOW!

Thanks everyone for tossing your pennies into the fountain so to speak
The World, not just the USA is so diverse
There's so much to see, and this is one of the reasons that my husband and I left the middle of the Pacific Ocean for the middle of the Arizona desert. We can hop in our car and go ANYWHERE!

We STUFFED our car last September and took off on a month long road trip, Our Great Western Adventure, Utah, Idaho, Montana, South Dakata, Wyoming, Colorado and back to Arizona.
We had talked about this for many years prior to our move to the "mainland" and it was a BLAST!
This was for our 20th wedding anniversary
Our honeymoon was a month long car trip through the original 13 colonies
Can you tell we like to do?
Mr&Mrs DF called us midway through our trip, "did you kill each other yet? we could never do this"
We are not only marries, but we are each others best friend
Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #26
Senior Cook

When you work for the airlines for 47 years you fly to a LOT of places. Been to Bermuda and Hawaii and although I loved them both, I'd get island fever. I don't have too much praise for Atlanta because we have also lived in the foothills of the Cascades east of Seattle and right in the center of San Francisco. Our favorite place we ever lived? The Pine Lake Plateau in the foothills of the Cascades! We've been gone from there for 25 years and are still homesick. I lived about two blocks from San Francisco's Corona Heights and had a breathtaking view of the entire bay area from up there. Did I feel blessed living in these places? Yes, however I have appreciated and enjoyed every place I ever lived, even Vietnam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake Sam fmTiger Mt.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	21607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corona Heights.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	21608  

Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
By way of contrast, here is a pair of photos of my street in the winter and spring. It's a townhouse condo complex.
Looks lovely, Andy. I assumed when you called it a condo on another post that it was an apartment block
Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I live around here:
Wow!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #29
Executive Chef

What lovely photographs. I need to get my act together and come look before I'm too old to get insurance.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #30
Executive Chef

The English Lake District for Addie. Not as spectacular as the Rockies but not bad all the same.

Lake District National Park - Free photos (click photos to find out what they are.)

Tags
hometowns, photos, travel