This Is Where I'm From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Kaneohe Oahu Hawaii USA, paradise, the most beautiful place in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

56875-albums995-picture5989.jpg

I'd love to hear about where everyone is from, see photos...

By way of contrast, here is a pair of photos of my street in the winter and spring. It's a townhouse condo complex.

Attachments

• DSC02509.jpg
    DSC02509.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC02606.jpg
    DSC02606.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 326
We live in the funky southern tourist trap village of Senoia, Georgia. A dozen major motion pictures have been partially filmed here and it is the home of The Walking Dead series. Most of the downtown is on the historic registry. Our next door neighbor runs a gift shop that is in a building dating back to 1840.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4_pZP-GDWI

Attachments

• Senoia.jpg
    Senoia.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 494
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...educt_2003.jpg/220px-Marple_Aqueduct_2003.jpg

This shows a famous landmark at Marple in Cheshire where I live. It was completed in 1799 and carries the Peak Forest Canal over the River Goyt. It's the highest masonry-arch aqueduct in Britain.

The boat in the picture is a traditional canal narrow boat (NOT a barge as people often mis-name it) which in its working days would have carried cotton or coal or other merchandise, often with a "butty" boat (or trailor) attached. They were originally pulled by horses but latterly were equipped with engines. Whole families lived on them in very cramped quarters, often supplemented by canvas tenting

The narrow boat in the picture is typical of many others used nowadays on the canal system in Britain as recreational boats either privately owned or hired from holiday companies.

Behind the aqueduct is the viaduct carrying the Manchester to Sheffield railway line, built in the 1860s.

And yes, there is a connection between "my" Marple and Agatha Christie's "Miss Marple". She is said to have passed through Marple on the train and decided on the name on seeing the station nameplate.

Last edited:
What fun to see the areas you all are from. Very beautiful, every single one! I enjoyed seeing them and hope to see more. :)

I'm in the Mojave Desert in So Cal. We had an unusually good wildflower year last spring, to the south.

img_1378770_0_1d1e7ed0834ca4bd908bda0620f84c30.jpg

Looking west at the Sierra Nevadas last winter, from my street:

img_1378770_1_eac90eb9303bcc1113cfe3731ea35549.jpg

This is the building in the fall. And those pics that Andy M. showed are pretty much like any city in this state. Including mine. :angel:

Attachments

• 101_0237.jpg
    101_0237.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 285
Beautiful building Addie, and that maple tree...! :ohmy::)

That tree is on the patio. We get that beautiful colored leaves every fall. The building used to be a school building, grades K-6. It is now considered an historical building. Under the carpeting are the original oak wood floors that still creak when you walk across the floor. I am not too fond of my neighbors in the building, but I love the building itself. When they notified me that an apartment was available, there were two schools I could choose from one was the original high school that my father attended and then became the Jr. High school that I and my kids all attended. I chose this one. And I am glad I did. :angel:

Cheryl J: Been to Barstow, Needles, Palmdale, and Lancaster and my wife's uncle and aunt lived in the foothills near Tehachepi. Their dogs had been bitten so many times by rattlers they were immune to it. I LOVED the desert and my wife hated it. I'm a native San Franciscan and it is hard to believe what a diverse state Cal is. Thanks for posting.

Cheryl J: Been to Barstow, Needles, Palmdale, and Lancaster and my wife's uncle and aunt lived in the foothills near Tehachepi. Their dogs had been bitten so many times by rattlers they were immune to it. I LOVED the desert and my wife hated it. I'm a native San Franciscan and it is hard to believe what a diverse state Cal is. Thanks for posting.

It is not just California. The whole of the West Coast is the same. Dessert, sea coast. mountains, farm land, etc. It has some of every thing you might find in any other part of the country. The only animal I can think of just right now that is missing is aligators. I am sure there are others, buy right now my mind is fried. :angel:

It is not just California. The whole of the West Coast is the same. Dessert, sea coast. mountains, farm land, etc. It has some of every thing you might find in any other part of the country. The only animal I can think of just right now that is missing is aligators. I am sure there are others, buy right now my mind is fried. :angel:

There are no deserts, sea coasts or mountains in the mid-section of the country between the Appalachians and the Rockies. And the mountains in California are much more dramatic than those in the East Coast. I love California - I have a lot of family there.

There are no deserts, sea coasts or mountains in the mid-section of the country between the Appalachians and the Rockies. And the mountains in California are much more dramatic than those in the East Coast. I love California - I have a lot of family there.

No, but there are farmlands, There is a dessert in the Dakotas. Looking for sea coasts other than the West Coast? The Gulf Coast, the East Coast. What I was trying to say is if you move to anywhere on the West Coast and are looking for a place that will be familiar to what you left behind, you will find it on the West Coast. If you grew up on a farm in Ohio, you will find plenty of farmland on the West Coast. If you lived along the coastline in the East, you will find it on the West Coast. Large cities? On the West Coast also. Small towns. The same. Country roads or large freeways. All over the country. The only thing that really changes from state to state are the laws. And every state has their quirky ones. In this state it is still on the books that you must carry your musket to church on Sunday to ward off the native heathens. When they got rid of a lot of Blue Laws, they overlooked that one somehow. :angel:

No, but there are farmlands, There is a dessert in the Dakotas.

That's why I didn't mention farmlands ;)

Looking for sea coasts other than the West Coast? The Gulf Coast, the East Coast.

The Gulf of Mexico is not a sea - it's a gulf.

What I was trying to say is if you move to anywhere on the West Coast and are looking for a place that will be familiar to what you left behind, you will find it on the West Coast. If you grew up on a farm in Ohio, you will find plenty of farmland on the West Coast. If you lived along the coastline in the East, you will find it on the West Coast. Large cities? On the West Coast also. Small towns. The same. Country roads or large freeways. All over the country. The only thing that really changes from state to state are the laws. And every state has their quirky ones. In this state it is still on the books that you must carry your musket to church on Sunday to ward off the native heathens. When they got rid of a lot of Blue Laws, they overlooked that one somehow. :angel:

:LOL: Okay, I get you now.

Back
Top Bottom