"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Andy, they are. However, they are quite young, and have worked so hard to get where they are.

Our main concern right now is not the house but our nephew, who has been working 20 hour days and could very well be right in the thick of the fire if people need to be rescued.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
Head Chef

Thoughts heading your way.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Positive Karma headed your way for you and your family.

Bob
Old 08-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i know they well be safe, they have training . all the best to you and family. when he was young my husband used to hire on to hot shots. a forest service fire fighting group. i worried a lot, like your sister in law. wish her all the best
Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, everyone. The two of them are getting about 4 hours sleep and even though they are working "together" have only seen each other about four times for (quote) a quick kiss and a prayer (enquote). Gotta love these two. They work so hard for everyone else.

Word has it that the home and restaurant/pub that my SIL and her husband built are both gone now (they sold them about 5 years ago). I have memories of these places as well. Their pub is where I first met my wonderful hubby (though it was one of those 5 minute chance meetings where you won't ever see the person again. It took three more of these before he finally hired me and several more years before we realized it was more than business).

The kids are warn out, but they have faith and as many of you have said, experience in all of this. We just sit and wait.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Just learned that one of the three fires has broken the limits of the town. The kids got word to us that they had people slamming the door in their faces when they tried to get them out of their homes. The residents (many without insurance) are turning sprinklers on their houses and staying put to try to save them. This will do nothing in a wildfire. The police are putting them under arrest as soon as they do leave their houses for disregarding the order. Our Nephew is angry because he knows he is just going to have to go back and rescue these people, maybe even within hours.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers (and karma, Casper). I have let them know and they very much appreciate it.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Laurie - Any updates? I am concerned about you and your family.

Bob
Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Bob,
I wanted to update things here but was waiting for confirmation of the news before I wrote it.

The people of Lillooet were allowed back home today, starting at noon by neighbourhood at 1 hour intervals. This was to make it orderly and it seemed to go smoothly. They are still on evacuation alert, and were told not to bring back valuables at this time, but for now the fire seems to have turned and the town is not in danger.

As for my family, my niece and nephew are exhausted and are not done yet of course. They have been given the evening off and are able to go home for about 8 hours. There is still no word about my ex-brother-in-law (my niece's Dad) who has now been missing for 4 days.

This ordeal is far from over, but I want to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. A whole community was at stake here, the homes and businesses of about 2,000 people. We need now to just hope and pray that the winds do not shift once again.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Laurie - Thanks for making my heart a little lighter tonight. Glad to hear the family is not in major danger at the moment, but I am still hoping the ex-brother in law is also safe.

Bob
Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Laurie - Thanks for making my heart a little lighter tonight. Glad to hear the family is not in major danger at the moment, but I am still hoping the ex-brother in law is also safe.

Bob
Thanks, Bob, me too. Any differences between him and my SIL aside, he is my niece's Dad and was doing a very selfless thing by using his company to help people evacuate.