Do you take the skin off bratwurst before cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I stand corrected, again. We are talking about Bratwurst here. I have never seen Bratwurst with an extra inedible skin. So no, I do not remove the casing. As casey mentioned, the snap is great! and wanted.

No. I don't take the skin off a hot dog either.
How would one even go about doing that? :ROFLMAO:

As for bratwurst and most other sausages, I too like it with the casing on.

This topic has made me curious as to how companies can do millions of packages of sausage and how they make them in the factory. I mean, do they just keep a boatload of animal intestines hanging around specifically for that purpose? Or do they make the casings out of other [edible] materials? I think I'll look into that this evening. Would be interesting to find out.

There are edible, non-animal based casings. Never tried them, but they were in the sausage making supply catalogs when we used to make sausage enough that we'd buy things through them.

I looked up what "artificial" casings are made from and it says collagen and cellulose and it's used primarily in meats that are pre-peeled before they are sold, like hot dogs and deli meats.

Edit to add that I just read Johnsonville Brats are fully cooked, premium, coarsely ground pork sausages in a 5.75-inch beef collagen casing, already browned with grill marks and grilled for superior flavor.

Interesting. I'm wondering if there are any sausage manufacturers that use actual animal intestine.

Asking that question, here is the answer I found: No. Intestines were the original casings when sausages were first invented. They are sometimes still used in all natural butchers. These days most sausages are made with “Manufactured artificial casings are made of cellulose, collagen or synthetic materials.”

Makes sense, I suppose, for mass production. But those little corner butchers more than likely use animal intestine.

Last edited:
I looked up what "artificial" casings are made from and it says collagen and cellulose and it's used primarily in meats that are pre-peeled before they are sold, like hot dogs and deli meats.

Edit to add that I just read Johnsonville Brats are fully cooked, premium, coarsely ground pork sausages in a 5.75-inch beef collagen casing, already browned with grill marks and grilled for superior flavor.

Interesting. I'm wondering if there are any sausage manufacturers that use actual animal intestine.

Asking that question, here is the answer I found: No. Intestines were the original casings when sausages were first invented. They are sometimes still used in all natural butchers. These days most sausages are made with “Manufactured artificial casings are made of cellulose, collagen or synthetic materials.”

Makes sense, I suppose, for mass production. But those little corner butchers more than likely use animal intestine.

Johnsonville sells sausages two ways, fully cooked near the hot dogs, or raw in the meat department, with "natural casings."

I find the casings on the fully cooked versions a bit chewy, but the casings on the raw ones, once cooked, are fine with me.

1716068090636.png

CD

and all this makes me think of Hagis.... all natural casings, LOL!
Oddly, that's something I've always wanted to try. :online2lo

Don't think we could find good haggis in America, though. Not proper haggis, anyway. The only ingredient that concerns me a little is lung. But I'd probably still try it.

I read somewhere recently about hagis getting ready to be imported again direct from Scotland. There was some mention of the lung content but I don't remember exactly what. Also do'nt remember the destination, Canada or the U.S.

Haggis can be made in a casserole dish, similar to our stuffing or hash.

Like all dishes some versions are great and some are disgusting.

This one sounds like a good place to start.

Back
Top Bottom