"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
After laundering blankets and such, I have enough hair from the lint trap to knit a new dog.
That's how I feel with my Persian! I could make 20 more cats outta what's come out of him onto my carpet!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Apparently we need a knitting class here!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Your post made me chuckle!

When we were kids the whole family would sit around in our underwear waiting until the last possible minute to get dressed and leave the house before a big formal event like a wedding or a funeral.

Partly because of the pets, the smokers and the fact that we only had one bathroom plus a lot of people to get cleaned up.

We must have made a strange sight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
For some bizarre reason my husband favors short-haired, most WHITE dogs, who shed like crazy. In the case of our first JRs, they had barbed little hairs that dug in. While we don't sit around in underwear (for one thing, it's too cold here!) until the last minute, we do get completely ready to go out, then sit in sweats or whatever until 5 minutes before we leave, crate the dog, dress and leave!

I've always been the type to poke around when I first get up in the morning then make a mad dash for the last 20 minutes into the shower and out the door. My hair is still wet when I get to work. The cat hair is a handy excuse for Shrek who after 31 years is now questioning my morning routines.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Apparently we need a knitting class here!
My dogs have all loved hand-crocheted afghans, something I encourage because they launder so well. When I wash one, I swear the dog hair in the dryer filter can be removed in one piece and if I could find a way to patch them together, over a year I could make a floor-length robe. Or maybe a new afghan!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #55
Head Chef

Timothy, my cat is a lilac point Himalayan. 10 pounds of hair, about a pound and a half of actual cat. The hair is so fine it is like a spider web, and it floats around looking for a piece of food to fall in. Yuck--I can handle the hair on the couch and on my clothes, but in my food--no way.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Timothy, my cat is a lilac point Himalayan. 10 pounds of hair, about a pound and a half of actual cat. The hair is so fine it is like a spider web, and it floats around looking for a piece of food to fall in. Yuck--I can handle the hair on the couch and on my clothes, but in my food--no way.
I got my Persian at the Animal Shelter. He was about 4 weeks old, and so tiny that he literally looked like a little fur ball with legs. The only mode he knew was up on the toes and hissing while dancing around the little cage they had him in.

They said he stumbled out of the woods next to the shelter, ( some butthead probably tossed him out of the car), and they had only had him for a day. I immediately named him "Precious" and later found out it was a "He" cat and named him "Dinky" (What my grand daughter said when trying to say "Stinky", because the little fella could put out some green clouds that would clear a room).

Well, Dinky is now 14 years old and very set in my ways. He sleeps next to my head at night and the sound of his LOUD purring makes me sleep great! I just have to keep up with the bushel of hair he loses each day.

Dinky is a big Persian. He weighs about 10 pounds and has hair forever.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #57
Master Chef

My cat is a tabby. She was a rescue kitty. I know what you mean about hair. She's not even long-haired, but when she jumps out of the window, you can see the hair fly. There is a blanket throw I keep on the couch, and she loves to lay on that. It's really soft. That gets washed constantly. I'm surprised there is any throw left.

As far as other laundry, Mark only wears things once, including jeans. I'll wear a pair of pants/jeans 3 times, if they aren't dirty from cleaning, etc. The one thing I'm anal about are towels. For my hair, I'll use a towel twice. For drying off, once.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

i have two cats, a black one .short hair and charlie , a lap doll persian. charlie sheds like crazy. i find it on the edges of lamp shades, and on the edge of doors. it is more fluff than hair and hard to vaccum up. thomas, the black short haired one hardly sheds at all. i get tons of hair in the dryer lint trap. just have to live with it. part of the price of having pets. worth every bit of laundry.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
we were at a street fair this past summer when i saw a young saint bernard drinking from a bowl in the shade for some relief from the heat. he was so fluffy and cute my family was drawn over to him.
when he raised his head to greet us, there was a rope of gooey spit that stretched 2 feet from his mouth back to the bowl... i got out out the way just before he shook.
it was like being at a gallagher concert.
As I was eating my breakfast this morning (poached eggs on a bed of steamed kale, 1/2 slice ww toast), I offered the old Saint the crust...ewww...when I took my next bite of kale, it had SLIME in it. Guess who got the rest of my breakfast...
Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
As I was eating my breakfast this morning (poached eggs on a bed of steamed kale, 1/2 slice ww toast), I offered the old Saint the crust...ewww...when I took my next bite of kale, it had SLIME in it. Guess who got the rest of my breakfast...
That just gags me! Dog spit in my food? No way! I wouldn't even allow the animal in the kitchen after that! Yuck!