"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2007, 12:55 AM   #71
Senior Cook

I think we , who only watch a compressed something (?!) have no clue really about these people.
Also, all that they are put up doing is not really fair.
I, for one, don't think I have a clear view of their abilities at all.
Do you?
Besides, the tasks they were given are not exactly the ones I would judge a chef's knowledge by.
The whole thing is mainly for serving the general public I think, not for showing real chefs,doing real tasks.
But, what do you want from "reality shows">??!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:28 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol
I think we , who only watch a compressed something (?!) have no clue really about these people.
Also, all that they are put up doing is not really fair.
I, for one, don't think I have a clear view of their abilities at all.
Do you?
Besides, the tasks they were given are not exactly the ones I would judge a chef's knowledge by.
The whole thing is mainly for serving the general public I think, not for showing real chefs,doing real tasks.
But, what do you want from "reality shows">??!
I think that it depends on who is watching the show. The general public focuses on the drama, emotion, by what the chefs say about each other, what the tasters say, etc. Because the cooking skill level of the general public is not at the same level or not done in the same environment, it's hard for a homecook to watch everyone in action and know who has it and who doesn't. It's easier to focus on the drama. People in the restaurant industry, and those with professional cooking experience can watch the chefs and have a good idea of of their skill levels, food knowledge, palate, etc. For example, this is why the general public (going by the viewer polls on the Bravo website) loved Betty in season two and hated Marcel. They could identify with Betty. Betty cooked what most people can cook. She generally had a sunny disposition. All of that couldn't change the fact that Marcel could outcook her hungover, blindfolded, and with one hand tied behind his back. I have a very clear view of the abilities and how I would stack up to them in a cook off. I think that I could take Joey, Clay, both Saras, Micah, Howie, or Camille without too much of a problem. Lia, Sandee, CJ, Brian, or Dale would be a good challenge, and I would probably lose against Tre, Casey, or Hung. In season one, I think that I could outcook anyone except for Harold, Tiffani, Lee Ann, or Steven. In season two, anyone except for Sam, Cliff, or Marcel.

The thing is, the challenges do test a chef's knowledge and creativity because it forces them to really stretch themselves and put out a good product with both time and ingredient restraints. The food that they put out is an extension of themselves. The competition in this season is much higher that the previous two. For example, if Lia was on either of the first two seasons, she probably would've made it to at least the top 6 or 7. In season three she was the 5th out of 15 people to go. When they announce the quickfire and elimination challenges, I always mentally create a dish that I would do in that situation. Almost every professional cook or chef that I know loves this show.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Dude. Howie. You are a ginormous pr*ck and you can't even cook. Didn't you learn from Hung and Casey? If you're going to cook a traditional dish in a location where it is extremely popular, you BETTER make sure that it's **** good. BTW, I looked up some reviews on Howie's restaurant "The Food Gang" in Miami. Pretty much most of them say that it sucks. Maybe he serves too many pork dishes? And what in the **** is up with him and pork? I mean Brian only does seafood, but at least he varies it up with fish, lobster, etc. Howie only does pork. Dude, where's the beef? Shouldn't he be docked points for cannibalism?

It was no surprise that Sara N. was voted off. She's been living on borrowed time anyway. I knew from little clips that she wasn't the fastest (and how in the **** did she not know that habeneros are the hottest pepper on the planet? Homecooks in Tumbleweedville, CA know that!), but this episode and last weeks frozen Rocco-meal episode really showed that. I don't think I could prep slower than her if I tried. Even if the challenge didn't throw her for a loop, she wouldn't have been around that much longer anyway. She looked pretty hot though, as did Casey. Too bad Camille wasn't around for this one.

So, down to the final 8. Dale's been impressive of late, but I'm sticking to my final four of Hung, Tre, Casey, and Brian. Unless of course, Hung does another one of his cauliflower and fried tempura batter ice cream experiments. As long as he does it in the quickfire he's safe. Just don't do one of those crazy dishes in the elimination challenge. Dude, we all know you're a d.amn good cook. You were the Exec Sous Chef at one of the best restaurants in Vegas, if not the entire country. What the heck are you doing? Be cutting edge, be high end, but cook to your audience.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #74
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I like Hung because he's adventurous with his ideas, and it doesn't seem like he's afraid to fail. Tre seems like a really solid cook in every aspect from composing a dish to technique. I thought his cheesy grits with bacon wrapped shrimp was a stroke of genius, and he definitely let common sense dictate his decision. After drinking all night, what could be better than comfort food AND bacon?

I do disagree about Sara being eliminated though. Granted, she was slow, and did let her emotions get in the way, but I think that comes with her age. She's only 25. Those things aside, I think she makes some very solid and sensible food. I think Howie should have gone. I thought it would be clear by now that he simply brings the team down and lets his teammates take the blame for his own inadequacies. His cuban sucked, and he didn't have anything to say about it; all he could do was play the blame game, and it seems like that's what He's been doing all along. I really didn't like the way he took leadership of the team and dictated what they should all do, and then leave them hanging. If you're going to be a take charge type of leader, then you need to stick with that attitude throughout the challenge- you can't just boss everyone around and expect great results. I hope Howie goes next, because then we'll be able to see through all of his BS and see people get eliminated because they deserve to be, because everyone else out-cooked them, not beause Howie drug them down.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 AM   #75
Executive Chef

I have a feeling that Howie will be the next to go. Next week's episode is another team challenge (the infamous "run your own restaurant" challenge). No one wants Howie on their team, and it wouldn't be surprising if they left him out to dry.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #76
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Shouldn't he be docked points for cannibalism?

I LOL'd

Quote:
She looked pretty hot though
+1

Quote:
Dude, we all know you're a d.amn good cook. You were the Exec Sous Chef at one of the best restaurants in Vegas, if not the entire country. What the heck are you doing? Be cutting edge, be high end, but cook to your audience.
I completely agree, Hung and Tre should be alternating victory in every other challenge.

I sincerely hope sweaty Howie goes home this week so he can go back to cooking in his apparently subpar restaurant. I think they only kept him on because he adds drama and thus ratings.

They need to bring Steingarten on as a guest judge, even though he's not a chef, it'd still be amusing. Bring back Dufresne again too, he was a judge in that group on Season 2, but just bring him back by himself, he's a riot.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #77
Senior Cook

I loved that episode. Wonder why Howie is still in the race. I'm sure his personalty helps with ratings, there need to be a jerk each season. Loved the cheese grits, shrimp and bacon-that's what I would have wanted if I'd been there.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolelaine
I loved that episode. Wonder why Howie is still in the race. I'm sure his personalty helps with ratings, there need to be a jerk each season. Loved the cheese grits, shrimp and bacon-that's what I would have wanted if I'd been there.
For the most part, Howie has played it smart. After the first couple of episodes where he was on the chopping block, he's played it very safe making very simple food. But that's what he's about so despite his personality, his food was fine because thus far, most of the people he's been catering to has been those with fairly simple palates. That's not to say his food wasn't good, because he did have two hits with this Cuban style Braised Pork with Mojo and Pork tenderloin with the apple and fennel slaw, and a couple of good dishes in the quickfires (like his ceviche). But in every one of those challenges, he was on his own. Now that they're doing the team challenges (and the history in this show is that there will be a lot more to come), his weakness of not being a team player is exposed so unless he does a drastic change, his time will be up. The funny thing is that for all of Hung's egomanical antics, he's actually a very good team player. What pisses me off about Howie is that he's always preaching about leadership, and stepping up but whenever he's on a team, he does the exact opposite. That just shows that the guy is all talk and full of ****.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #79
Executive Chef

If anyone wants a really, and I do mean REALLY entertaining read of each Top Chef episode dating back to season 2, check out this guy's blog:

FipitTypes TV - Recaps, Gossip, and Trash Talk

He gives them all nicknames, so if you're not sure who he's referring to, you may have to read the first entry for each season.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #80
Senior Cook

So what were your feelings on Trey leaving? I was disappointed, I thought he was very good, except maybe not in this challenge. His smoked potatoes and bread pudding must have been bad. He had more than his share of tasks for that team. Maybe they should have divided the responsibilities evenly in order to assure a better outcome.