"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Very high level of 'Alpha Feto Protien'

I am 22 weeks pregnant, I have performed triple marker test and it was found that my AFP level is very high. Doctor told me that I have 1:1 chance of having a healthy baby and a baby with spina bifida. She suggest me to terminate the baby.

I went for second opinion to another doctor and she told me that nothing to worry about. We are very much confused and can't make any decision that whether we will terminate the pregnancy or carry the baby.

Please suggest what to do. (this is my first pregnancy)

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Head Chef

Ask your doctors for referrals to a proper counseling agency. If you are religious, seek counseling from your priest, rabbi, pastor...
A cooking forum is really not the best place to get advice for something this serious. Seek professional help in person.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Sous Chef

This is not a common test in our country and many doctors also don't know about triple marker test.

I am asking this because, if someone here face this problem before she may suggest something.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Everymom

AFP tests have a high rate of false positives for many reasons. In terms of morality, only you can decide what is best for you to do. You will get lots of opinions from others, but ultimately you need to decide what is best. Medically, you should most definitely have a second test done at the minimum. And seek a second opinion at least.

I'm going to share a bit of my own bias and tell you that NOTHING is certain when it comes to medical testing.

On an emotional level, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I'm sending you as much strength and caring as I can send and only wish I could hug you and support you in person.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Everymom

Oh and if you are looking for personal stories mine is different but might help.

My sister had an anencephalic pregnancy so when I was pregnant with my second child my Dr wanted me to do the AFP test. I refused because my best friend is a labor and delivery nurse and told me AFP has an extremely high rate of false positives. I did the research and found this to be true.

Also, my husband and I spoke and agreed that to terminate was not in the cards for us. If our baby had been born anencephalic then we would donate her organs to other babies, if she had had spina bifida we would have dealt with that too. We know folks whose kids have had spina bifida and have had very successful surgeries and are living normal lives.

Please do the research about both spina bifida and the AFP test and see another doctor. I don't think at this point folic acid will be helpful to you you or the baby but you could look into that as well.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Head Chef

Here are ssome links:
alpha feto protein support groups - Google Search

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Listen to Alix and get another opinion. Then sit and talk it over, only you can decide what is best for you. I was told I should terminate my fourth child. I refused and that # four has given me Ethan and Olivia, is a school teacher, my baby and a dear friend. You and only you can decide and what ever you decide you have my prayers and good thoughts.
kadesma
Old 12-24-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Thanks for your support.

We decided that we will keep the baby, after that we will see.

We went to three doctors and they all are contradicting each other, I really cannot rely on them. Medical profession became a business here.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
Cook

Consider getting an ultrasound. Neural tube defects show as anencephaly and spina bifida and will show up on an ultrasound. Ultrasounds are minimally invasive. A picture will let you know for sure. Also, look for a genetic counselor to talk to.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 AM   #10
Cook

Maternal Serium Alpha Feto Protein tests tend to have high false positives on the deficiency end which indicate Downs Syndrome. On the high AFP end there tend to be less false positives.

Folic acid, to be effective, has to be taken prenatally (Before conception.)