"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

Thanks everyone! I was so worried last night that mixing and rolling the dough would be a disaster since it'd been so long but it all came right back to me. Like riding a bike I guess!

Mish, thanks for reminding me about the cards--I did that last time and had forgotten!

Licia--I can't wait for Sof to be my assistant!

GB, you're so right--when aren't I tired!

Old 09-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

sounds like a welcome distraction, pab. even though it is tiring, and extra work, i hope you, mr. baker and sof get to enjoy a little of your labor.

umm, maybe labor isn't exactly the right term.

have fun and good luck!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
Head Chef

How great to be appreciated like that, this could be the start of something big. Sofie will love helping when she is bigger, my girls love cooking with me especially something fun like cookies. Have a nap everytime Sofie does today to try and catch up. Sometimes I put Riley in my bed and climb in with him and we sleep for a couple of hours during the day, he seems to like snuggling in with mummy and sleeps better.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #14
Head Chef

I am sure you are tired a great deal of the time with your daughter but I am glad you decided to make the baskets for your realtor. As you said this could be the start of a good business.

Good luck.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
That's great PA!
Have fun and
post some photos of the beautiful art you create.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Pa,
congratulations, your reputaion has survived the birth of a daughter It's time for miss Sofie to see just what a great mom she has...Example Yesterday Cade just turned 6, got to spend some time with me just the two of us. First thing he asked, can we please make cookie like we use to? Okay, I'm thinking of the work and the mess, right? He pulls out a chair and say's sit Ma!!!! He then went to the pantry, got the flour, sugar, baking soda, vanilla and brown sugar, lined them up, got the eggs, got measuring spoons and cups then asked me to reach high and get the big mixing bowl..He procedded to ask how to turn on the oven and then got out the cookie sheets, he measured everything with some spills yes and one egg disaster, but he made those cookie!!! So put Miss Sofie in a high chair, give her a wooden spoon and let her help you Get most of it done ahead so she doesn't have to be cooped up long and that bright little girl of yours will be as happy as a clam. Oh and by the way so will you just having her watching and happy.
kadesma
Old 09-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #17
Contest Winner

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Yesterday afternoon I got a call from the realtor who hired me several times in the past to bake custom cut-out cookie baskets for her clients. I haven't done any work since Sofie was born and was surprised to hear from her. Thing is, she wanted to place a large order for first thing tomorrow morning. DH is working late every night, Sofie is still having trouble sleeping (little naps, up every couple hours at night), so what did I do? I said yes! I figured I couldn't say no if I wanted to start growing this little business someday. So even though I didn't start mixing dough and baking 'till well after 10 last night, it felt GREAT to be baking again! I'm just a little bleary today! I'm hoping DH is early tonight so I can start mixing all the icing colors and decorating a little earlier.

Feels strange to do something so non-Mommy!
We all are so proud of you in all you do, I know you are a great Mom, Wife and Baker. Let me know when you have recharged, I might want to put in a order of my own !
Old 09-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
...........ok, since no one else said it - make sure you have a little "heart-to-heart" with the realtor and explain to her that since you have a child more notice would be VERY much appreciated (chances are she probably knew she needed them but due to her busy schedule waited til the last minute). BUT assure her that any and all last-minute orders are welcome! If you don't somehow voice that now it will be harder to voice in the future.

Now, apparently it felt wonderful to get back to baking!!!!!!!! That is good PA. I admire anyone who can bake - and you have double admiration from me starting the whole thing that late!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #19
Master Chef

Awww, thanks everyone for your encouragement!

My wonderful mom came over for a couple hours yesterday afternoon to play with Sofie so I could get a head start on mixing colors and decorating. After about an hour I took a break and when I got down on the floor with Sofie she threw her arms around my neck! My heart couldn't have gotten bigger!

My wonderful mom also played with Sof so hard that she fell asleep at 8 and didn't wake again 'till 12!!! Mom better come over more often! So cookies are finished and drying.

Elf, I did make a comment about last minute, and they were apologetic up front. I wasn't going to push it too hard because I did up my price by $8 and they didn't flinch. Costs have gone up since last summer so I didn't feel too badly about that.

Kads, I bet those were the best tasting cookies in the world! Happy birthday to your guy!!!