"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #21
Master Chef

Merlot, probably with us it is kinda the opposite. I've either been a brat, in the service, or a military wife, and then we did three years "camping" to figure out where we wanted to live. My husband's main complaint is that I get in the passenger side of the car and --- I'm gone. Either in a book or asleep. My sibs spouses complain about the same thing. Our parents raised us to shut up and do anything because we were constantly in the car from coast to coast between assignments. For me it was reading, and when my sibs were actually awake, breaking up their fights. Believe me, reading was more fun!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #22
Senior Cook

HAHA! I'm a "brat" too! Back in the early 80's, my parents decided to throw me & my brother into the back of a truck, &, drive from Fairbanks, Alaska, through CA, all the way down to GA. I learned early on not to complain. Just give me my books, & let me please visit another world for a little bit :)

Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #23
Master Chef

I share with my dad and sisters. Any that they don't want either get donated or exchanged at the used book store. I do keep some. I have a large selection of books that were my mother's. I probably will never read them but I can't get rid of them since they remind me of her. I still have all my nursing books (30 years old now) and my ASL text books. Paid too much money to get rid of and the nursing books are too far out of date to help anyone. My son got a Kindle for Christmas and I'm considering investing in one too. It sure would be nice to get rid of the "to-be-read" and "finished" boxes of books beside the bed!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 AM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I share with my dad and sisters. Any that they don't want either get donated or exchanged at the used book store. I do keep some. I have a large selection of books that were my mother's. I probably will never read them but I can't get rid of them since they remind me of her. I still have all my nursing books (30 years old now) and my ASL text books. Paid too much money to get rid of and the nursing books are too far out of date to help anyone. My son got a Kindle for Christmas and I'm considering investing in one too. It sure would be nice to get rid of the "to-be-read" and "finished" boxes of books beside the bed!
I was able to sell-back some of my nursing books for a decent price when I graduated. I sold back the ones I wouldn't be using, like Maternity & Labor and Delivery. I was already set on the type of nursing I wanted to do and knew I wouldn't use them. But, I'm such a book collector, I've since gotten many more nursing books in my field...it eclipses what I had as a student.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was able to sell-back some of my nursing books for a decent price when I graduated. I sold back the ones I wouldn't be using, like Maternity & Labor and Delivery. I was already set on the type of nursing I wanted to do and knew I wouldn't use them. But, I'm such a book collector, I've since gotten many more nursing books in my field...it eclipses what I had as a student.
But what if one of your patients gets pregnant??? :mrgr een:
Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
But what if one of your patients gets pregnant??? :mrgr een:
I'll be contacting the Pope!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #27
Master Chef

I donate my books to the local thrift store. All the proceeds from it go to the Senior Center. I also buy some books there at 25 cents per paperback. How can you beat that price. Some books I keep to reread or for my personal library.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #28
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'll be contacting the Pope!
And "The Enquirer!"
Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
There are far too many books at my house. But, but, I can't part with most of them. Heck, I'm working my way through DH's SF collection right now.

There is another option for what to do with books that need a new home: BookCrossing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. People simply leave books in public places or in "Official BookCrossing Zones" (OBCZs)". You put a label in the book. If you are lucky, the person who picks it up enters the book's number at BookCrossing.com and you can follow the travels of your book.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #30
Head Chef

I used to be a book hoarder, but after I spent a year working in a library, I learned how to 'weed'--that is, sort thru the books and discard the ones that were no longer in active use. In a library (home or public) there is a limited amount of shelf space, and when one book comes in, one goes out.

I have 3 bookcases in my 'library' and when I start to notice that books are piling up on the floor or table, I weed.

The discards go to our humane society thrift shop, which is where a lot of them came from! I also buy books from the library book sale, and from AbeBooks Official Site - New & Used Books, New & Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books

If I hear of a book that I would like to read, I check abebooks first--I don't think I have ever failed to find a book, and used paperbacks are about $3.50, with postage included.

I rarely buy new books, and if I do, I buy the e-book. Or an Audible book.

I know people find it painful and almost sacrilegious to get rid of books, but I figure if I ever want to read that particular book again, I can find it online, at the thrift store or library, or from abebooks.

I guess I am really storing 'my' library out in the world. Lots less dusting that way.