What Happens When Second Graders Are Treated to a Seven-Course, $220 Tasting Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/magazine/fine-dining-for-second-graders.html

One Saturday afternoon last month, six second graders from P.S. 295 in Brooklyn got a head start on the fine-dining life when they visited the acclaimed French restaurant Daniel. There, five waiters presented them with a seven-course tasting menu (after the trio of canapés and an amuse-bouche, naturellement). The meal was overseen by the star chef and eponym himself, Daniel Boulud, whose goal was, he says, “for the children to really discover a lot of flavor, a lot of layers, a lot of texture.” These discoveries included Smoked Paprika Cured Hamachi (the “most-foreign thing for them,” Boulud says), Crispy Japanese Snapper (“which they loved to see”) and Wagyu Beef Rib-Eye (“a big success”). To capture the children’s reactions, the magazine asked Jeffrey Blitz, the director of the Oscar-nominated documentary “Spellbound,” to make a video. The initiates seemed to enjoy the experience, but that isn’t to say they loved all those flavors and textures. At one point, after tasting a custom-made nonalcoholic cocktail, 7-year-old Chester Parish said: “This is, like, the only good course. It’s yummy.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure to click the link and watch the video.

At that age they are often reluctant to try new foods. Obviously, not these kids. Good for them. :angel:

Thanks Tatt...that video is adorable. I'm so glad the kids were dressed up properly, so they knew they were special.

I couldn't help but think of how I wish Bucky Tom's son had been at the table..that little guy has really been exposed to fine dining. It would have been interesting to watch how he reacted.

I just watched the video. Those kids are delightful. The little blonde knew how to use her utensils. Good for her. But I loved the toast at the end. :angel:

What fun! Children need this type of exposure to foods.

I think it was 5th grade when we picked a country and fixed a dish from that country. I picked Salade Niçoise from France. It introduced me to capers, recipes with olives, anchovies. Beginning my love for foods and being bold in trying new things.

I loved the video! Thanks for sharing, Tattrat. Two of my favorite things....kids and food. :)

Last edited:
That was very cute .. children are brutally honest .. have to love that !

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/magazine/fine-dining-for-second-graders.html

One Saturday afternoon last month, six second graders from P.S. 295 in Brooklyn got a head start on the fine-dining life when they visited the acclaimed French restaurant Daniel. There, five waiters presented them with a seven-course tasting menu (after the trio of canapés and an amuse-bouche, naturellement). The meal was overseen by the star chef and eponym himself, Daniel Boulud, whose goal was, he says, “for the children to really discover a lot of flavor, a lot of layers, a lot of texture.” These discoveries included Smoked Paprika Cured Hamachi (the “most-foreign thing for them,” Boulud says), Crispy Japanese Snapper (“which they loved to see”) and Wagyu Beef Rib-Eye (“a big success”). To capture the children’s reactions, the magazine asked Jeffrey Blitz, the director of the Oscar-nominated documentary “Spellbound,” to make a video. The initiates seemed to enjoy the experience, but that isn’t to say they loved all those flavors and textures. At one point, after tasting a custom-made nonalcoholic cocktail, 7-year-old Chester Parish said: “This is, like, the only good course. It’s yummy.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure to click the link and watch the video.
"Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings". Some of their comments were priceless

Back
Top Bottom