"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I love my kitchen, particularly the floor covering. It's just beautiful and I love that it was something my husband chose when he built our house.

There is really no space for things hanging on the wall because our kitchen is what would be considered an "open" area, so there is relatively no wall space and what there is is taken up with cabinets.

As for decoration, what I do do is put a few things on the deep (18") windowsill over the sink around various holiday/festival times.

At the moment, I have a "twig-like" white wire tree that I've decorated with tiny little Easter ornaments. It is sitting on a cloud of green Easter grass that has some plastic painted eggs nestled in it.

Last month I decorated it for Mardi Gras, then St. Patrick's Day. Before that it was all decked out in Valentine's Day finery.

I have fun doing it and the grandchildren always look forward to what's on the windowsill.

There IS a narrow space near the ceiling close to the kitchen table that I've hung a small framed painting that says "Bon Appetit!" on it. This is in homage to Julia Child who I consider to be a treasure to the culinary world.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Executive Chef

@ Katie,

Sounds like a wonderful idea ...

Your kitch belongs in House Beautiful I am sure ...

I too, have high esteem for Julia Child and have all her books here for research techniques ... Good culinary mentor to have ...

It would be fabulous to have photo of ur kitch !!!

Thanks for post.
Have nice Sunday.
Margi

Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Master Chef

I have a rooster/chicken theme going. It didn't start that way! When my grandmother died, I wanted the ceramic rooster and chicken she had on the shelves by her sink. It kind of hatched from that. The cabinets are a dark wood with white knobs, white vinyl floor (that will hopefully get replaced this summer with something else) and a tan wallpaper with a Colonial style pineapple motif in blues and greens. The only thing I chose in the kitchen is the roosters! The rest was here when we bought the house but I liked it so didn't change it.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Jabbur,

Well, the same actually happened to me with ANGELO, my huge Italian chubby Chef with the big mustache ... He was Grandmom Margherite´s and he has travelled all over the world with me ... So ...

Roosters and hens are French in symbolism ... and the egg symbolic of fine cuisine !

Thanks for sharing.
Have a happy holiday.
Margi.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Master Chef

Like Jabbur, I have a collection of roosters and hens in my kitchen.

This huge Italian hunk o burnin' love started it all some 20 years ago and was a gift from my late husband. I must admit I lusted over this boy so much that my husband finally gave in and bought him for me.

From there, my obsession grew....

The magnets on the fridge are a collection of our travels.

I even made a rooster valance for the sink window out of a beautiful tapestry table runner.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Wow ... nice rooster collection ! Thanks for sharing the lovely photos.

Have nice wkend and holiday.

Margi.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #17
Executive Chef

We've never lived in a place that was really our own and the kitchens have always been really awkward and kind of small. Getting some functionality from them has always been the primary concern. Plus this will be the first time (once I officially start my job) that we'll have enough income to think about decorating so we don't yet have a theme or colors or such.

The hubby and I just moved into our current appartment and can't really customize the walls, cabinets, flooring, etc. All the walls in the appartment are white semi-gloss, including the kitchen. The cupboards are also white as are the pantry doors. The flooring is linolium or vinyl designed to look like mottled, stone tile in shades of beige. The kitchen is small with very little wall space. There is a section of wall above the cupboards, kind of like a border that goes around the kitchen, and a section by the pantry where I might be able to hang something. There are also half wall dividers on either side of the entry coming from the dining room. I'll have to take a picture of it when the sunlight is around.

We're only planning on being here for a year while we save up for a down payment on a house so I need to keep decorations simple and easy enough to move into a new place. They also need to be general enough to work in a different house. I don't have room for figurines but I don't really care for them in the kitchen so I'm ok with that. I have some photographs I took of place settings, glasses, and various other kitchen items that I'm thinking about getting printed to hang. I also have some pretty pictures of herbs, vegetables and food being prepped that could be printed. I think I'll vary the size of the prints but crop all of them square so I can create a border around the kitchen without it looking cluttered. I'm not sure how easy it is to find square frames but it's easy enough to cut matboard and just mat them if I need to. I can cover the photos with thin plastic sheeting to protect them. I should be able to find it easily enough at a craft store or online.

Family is really important to me and cooking is kind of a family tradition so I'd like to include loved ones in the decor. I want to see if I can find a picture of me as a kid that includes something food related and another of my hubby in the same theme. If I can, I'll scan them into the computer and put them together using a photo editor. Then I'll print it, frame it and hang it on the wall by the pantry. I also want to find pictures of friends and family at various gatherings and make a collage of them to hang on the fridge.

We get a fair amount of indirect sunlight in the kitchen so it would be great to get some potted herbs to put on the dividers between it and the dining room. I might also try growning something like a pepper plant indoors or maybe something with edible flowers. I'll have to look to see what kinds of edible plants I can find that like indirect lighting.

Most of our dishes, appliances, etc. are hand-me-downs or gifts so we've got a hodge podge of this and that. The hubby and I need to go through everything and figure out what we're keeping and what we're not keeping. Once we do that we'll decide more on what to do for these items but even then they won't be on display, at least in this kitchen, because there just isn't room.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Woops, that was a little long. Sorry.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
Executive Chef

@ Purple Giraffe,

What a lovely post ... ( You and Addie should write books ... truly best sellers ! )

I like the idea of family photos on the little wall space that you have ... Perhaps, since you mentioned a beige / sand palette with white walls, perhaps darker toned wood frames with sepia tone photos or black frames with black and white photos --- can be stunning and give alot of impact to a small space ...

Thanks for feedback and Happy Holidays.
Margi. Cintrano.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
Master Chef

I try to keep the counters as clear as possible. I do have a collection of fruit & vegetable platters, bowls, etc., all of which I do use, so they are stowed above the cabinets. Half of my upper cabinets are open shelves, so my plain white every day dishes/bowls, clear glasses to offset the colorful vegetable serving pieces.

Right now my problem is the walls. I've been longing to "fix" them, and we've finally saved the money to do so. But what do I want? My counters are a Corian with a sage green faux granite look (I did not want the real thing because the room can be very cold in the winter, plus I'm a butterfingers and everything that hits stone breaks; I'm pleased with the Corian). But now I can replace ugly plaid wallpaper. What to do? I'm looking at some glass tiles for the back splashes, but am really totally stymied for the rest of the room. I'm afraid, with past history to go on, that if we tear off the wallpaper disaster would ensue. Paint over wallpaper? wallpaper over wallpaper? One friend suggested maybe dry-walling over it, then whatever with that surface.

Time for professional help (maybe a shrink?!)

Tags
kitchen